RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > That Misfueling Device on Your Car - Doesn't Work....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

PauloAmore

Scotland 

For sure.

Just wondering if some folks would be put off buying a car that requires a £9k fix in the event of a misfuel and "2 minute run".
- not my words. JLRs - via Pete on this site.

I'd rather more robust injectors, manifolds and pumps. 2022 P440e AB

Post #452327 Thu Feb 12 2015 12:53pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

PauloAmore wrote:
Exactly... And that's the scandal here... We cannot afford not to be insured for misfuelling on a RRS (imho).
- Since the misfuelling device failed (which is chronic if one can easily cause £9ks worth of damage).

Seems like a supermarket sweep opportunity to change out everything....

I've asked Peter at Land Rover for JLR's view on what needs to be changed out for a max 4 mile journey on some Petrol. but all manifolds injectors and pumps... 20 hours labour. £9,5k... Seems like a rip off. Which i'm not pleased about, regardless of the fact that I am insured for it.

I got a view from another dealer.... He reckons its a rip off too... But i'm looking forward to hear what JLRs procedure is for this. Maybe the dealer is just following the rules..

20 Hours Labour at Stratstones is about £2700 inc Vat. So that leaves around £6800 for parts and Oils,and a drop of the right fuel. to get you to nearest garage itisme

Post #452331 Thu Feb 12 2015 1:44pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

JLRs position from Pete @ Land Rover :-

When asked how often the missfueling device fails :-

There is not a failure rate on this device as there is no way of completely preventing the incorrect fuel being put in any vehicle and as such the responsibility is that of the vehicle owner.

As per the owners handbook, page 197:
Note: It is the driver’s responsibility to fill the vehicle with the correct fuel. The diesel misfuel protection device only reduces the risk of filling the vehicle with the incorrect fuel.

When asked about the amount of kit needed to repair (manifolds, 6 injectors and 3 fuel pumps) :-

In order to ensure that the vehicle is covered by the manufacturers warranty there are specific levels of repair regarding the extent of the misfuel and which parts have potentially been affected. Unfortunately in instances where the vehicle has been running for excess of 2 minutes or until the vehicle has stopped, this would require the highest level of repair.

Vehicle mis-fuelling will result in a warranty restriction if the approved repair has not been completeD.

When asked about the procedure (for the 3l Diesel engine) that had been started, run for 2 minutes.

The procedure in general for your concern is to:
drain the fuel tank.
Clean and flush all low pressure pipes.
Replace the fuel filter.
Replace the high pressure fuel pump.
Replace all high pressure fuel pipes.
Replace the diverter pipe and both fuel rails.
Replace the fuel cooler (part of oil cooler/filter assembly in middle of the engine 'V').
Replace all fuel injectors.
Remove fuel pump module and fuel level sensor.
Remove all traces of residual fuel within the tank.
Remove all traces of residual fuel from the fuel pump module and fuel level sensor.
Reassemble fuel pump module and fuel level sensor to the fuel tank.
Then ensure the tank is filled with fresh fuel.

While I can appreciate that this is a costly repair, this is not a manufacturing or material defect and is unfortunately the result of user error.

The level of repair required is dependant on certain criteria and only in circumstances where the vehicle has not been started following the misfuel can a flush be carried out as an acceptable level of repair to retain the vehicle warranty. 2022 P440e AB

Post #452352 Thu Feb 12 2015 4:04pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

20 hours of labour plus parts plus VAT for £9.5k seems a bit high. Labour rates of £100-£150 is still only £2000-3000. Where do they get several grand for a few pipes, fuel pumps and injectors? Shocked 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #452389 Thu Feb 12 2015 10:01pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

It's an insurance job, so the garage is creaming it. Circa, apparently, 120,000 vehicles are misfuelled each year, so this is music to the ears of garages/dealerships with substantial profit of 100pc.
Having learnt my lesson (albeit without cost, but entirely memorable) I look at the pumps several times and think is this diesel...yes it is...is this diesel....yes it is. Some independent garages do not have the clarity of pump and nozzle display with regard to colours.

Post #452392 Thu Feb 12 2015 10:55pm
itsmeagain

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

I filled my brand new Audi 1 with a tank of unleaded when i should of put in diesel. I realised as i put the nozzle back in the pump. Paid for the fuel and explained to the attendant my mistake. She laughed and handed me card with a companies name on it that specializes in mis fueling.
A quick call and they where there within the hour, removed the incorrect fuel and I was sorted. Current 2010 Range Rover Sport HSE with the usual toys: timed climate, Rosen headrest screens, tow bar with twin electrics, Blackvue HD cam
2008 Seat Leon K1
2012 Audi A1 2.0litre Black Edition TDI
2004 Audi A4 convertible
2004 Audi A2 TDI

Post #452398 Fri Feb 13 2015 8:04am
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

I once third filled a petrol Hi-Lux with diesel whilst travelling across Germany. I stopped the pump, paid, topped right up with petrol, paid again and carried on. It was pinking a bit on the uphill's but I also kept the speed steady. I kept topping up as much as I could and got away with it. Twitchy bum time though.

Post #452403 Fri Feb 13 2015 8:45am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
20 hours of labour plus parts plus VAT for £9.5k seems a bit high. Labour rates of £100-£150 is still only £2000-3000. Where do they get several grand for a few pipes, fuel pumps and injectors? Shocked

Labour - £2535 (20 hours)
Charity Donation - £1 (no joke)
Fuel Filter - £58.19
Fuel Cooler - £93.19
Manifold - £182.47
Manifold - £182.47
Injector Kit - 3 x 56.43 = £169
Injectors - 6 x £371 = £2231
- Injector surcharge - 6 x £130 = £780 (this is (i believe) because the injectors will not be recyclable / repairable)
Injector Kit - 2 x 56.30 = £112
Injector Kit - 1 x £56.22 = £56.22
Fuel Pump - 1 x £219
Fuel Pump (2)? - 1 x £1082
Fuel Pump Kit - £95

VAT - £1567.57

£9406

I had the car transported to a different dealer... Because i thought I was getting ripped off.... In hindsight, I wasn't really. This is pretty much what JLR require us to do... But I expect to save on labour and part prices. So i've done the right thing by the insurer at least.

No doubt - my mistake. But a scandalous amount to repair.
- Next time; what with the very high cost of repair, some might, flush and run it. To see what happens. Meantime, ordering a replacement car can chop it in, instead of paying for all this...

As a suggestion - check if your insurer will cover you in the event of a missfuel. 2022 P440e AB

Post #452704 Mon Feb 16 2015 3:36pm
Terryrrs

United Kingdom 

Many years ago before additives were added to diesel to stop it freezing we would add a little petrol. Mind you, we also lit fires under the tank to warm it up that was health and safety in another age. Brakes would be frozen on fuel filters blocked thank goodness for modern times.

Post #452705 Mon Feb 16 2015 3:52pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

About 10 years ago I filled my diesel range rover (pre sport) with petrol at a shell franchise garage, cost was c 1200 quid then to clean the old 2.5 BMW engine. So I complained to Shell head office about lack of clarity at pumps, use of black hose (in fact anything I could think of that was even part relevent for confusion) and without any further questions I was sent a cheque for the full amount. Thumbs Up

Was on way to Gatwick to pick up relatives and stalled on the exit roundabout and was greeted eventually by military police. ! Pick up truck loaded the car and I went on to get relatives from the airport. Memorable night. Censored P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #452750 Mon Feb 16 2015 7:06pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Thanks to Frank Ogg, Elgin.
- They got my car, started stripping it before Chubb had approved the work. Work done and car redelivered to Aberdeen in 3 days. Mega. 2022 P440e AB

Post #452953 Wed Feb 18 2015 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12