RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Newbie - Intro and advice please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Newbie - Intro and advice please!

***oops wrong section, I guess this should be in the RRS2 section, could a MOD move it for me please?***

Hey Guys,

I am new to this site, I have been doing lots of research pending a potential purchase of a 2015 RRS.

I have had a varied selection of cars, and as you will see I am relatively used to spending time at the petrol pumps Wink

I started out in life with a 2000 Vauxhall Astra MK4 3door 1.4 16v, hilarious car.

I graduated to a 2003 MK3 MR2 (Hair dresser version) which I also loved.

Then I moved onto a 2008 RX8 R3 (which I still own and love).

I then bought a second car so the RX8 could be the weekend car, my everyday (sensible car, NOT) was a 2012 Dodge Charger 5.7Hemi V8 RT with super track pack.

I sold that and moved onto a used Audi A8 4.2 V8 Quattro which I then part exchanged for the current every day car, which is sensible, too sensible (which is why I am changing it) which is a 2014 Jaguar XF R-Sport 2.2D 220PS which I hate with a passion.

Now, I understand and appreciate that both vehicles are manufactured by JLR and therefore will be some crossover so I will give you some background as to why the Jag and I just don't get on.

I bought the Jag after a very swift test drive in a demo car, I liked it to be honest but 5-6 miles of driving just wasn't enough. The main gripes for me are both the engine and the stereo. The engine is noisy and although torque is not an issue it just feels pretty gutless. The stereo...well thats just plain awful, from what I have read on here its probably on a par with the standard RRS system. For that reason I am looking at the Autobiography Dynamic.

I am looking for some real world feedback on the engines. The RRS will be a 5 year car so I want to make sure I make the correct decision.

My main worry is that I will hate the diesel engine, the jag was the first diesel I have owned and as I said, I just can't get on with the noise and the lack of 50-80mph grunt, that being said, I do 20k miles PA for work so the economy is quite important.

I can stretch to the 5.0 Supercharger RRS but it will be a push, I drive 40 miles per day for my commute on a mixture of A and B roads, what realistic MPG should I expect from the above engine, normal driving and not racing each day. I never tend to take much notice of the manufacturers claims.

What is the diesel engine like to live with?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long first post!

James

Post #452011 Tue Feb 10 2015 10:05am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Quote:
***oops wrong section, I guess this should be in the RRS2 section, could a MOD move it for me please?***

Thumbs Up

Welcome to the site. Wink

Post #452027 Tue Feb 10 2015 11:24am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

James welcome my current RRS2 has the SDV6 engine and it performs pretty good the performance is quite impressive and sounds ok too.
The only thing is if left in auto it can hesitate on pull away from junctions and roundabouts which can be unnerving as in auto the gearbox pulls away in second but if you use the paddles and change into first it's fine and if you put it into dynamic mode and gearbox into sport car is great .
Never tried the supercharged yet I'm going to dealers on Friday to order new car for September delivery fingers crossed and am going to test supercharged as i don't do many miles had current car since October and only done 800 miles so fuel consumption doesn't bother me .
Best thing is try and get a good test drive with both engines which might not be that easy good luck and keep us informed on what you decide 👍 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #452042 Tue Feb 10 2015 1:26pm
JSR2014

Hi Viper,

Thanks for the feedback, the Jag also suffers from that same "lag" at junctions, a right PITA!

I now find that I have a heavier right foot to compensate and the tyres (close to needing replacing) just scrabble around and its rather embarrassing doing a wheelspin in a diesel XF :/

Thats good to know, makes me lean more toward the SC, however fuel consumption is a worry!

Post #452044 Tue Feb 10 2015 1:42pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

James when you have gearbox in sport mode and dynamic mode on car is fine you can decide when you have your test drive I'm sure other owners will have good advice especially the supercharged owners Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #452046 Tue Feb 10 2015 2:10pm
Dickie

United Kingdom 

I moved from a SDV6 to Supercharged and as expected the difference is phenomenal. I'd say I get ~20mpg mooching around, more on long drives. The key difference, as Viper has already mentioned, is the delay when pulling away in the diesel.

I had got used to it and adapted my driving accordingly but it's only now with the petrol I realise just how it needn't be!

I was also paying £1.30ish per litre for the diesel when I had it and now petrol is around £1.05ish which the Supercharged all the more sensible choice.... For now! SOLD - 15 plate Estoril SVR

SOLD - 64 plate Aleutian Silver Supercharged

SOLD - 63 plate Corris SDV6 Autobiography

Post #452157 Tue Feb 10 2015 10:53pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Update: The supplying dealer (Harwoods Croydon) have agreed to paint my sills and lower bumper inserts for £960 all in - result Cool

PS the bodyshop I was waiting for to call me back quoted £2000 + VAT - are some of these guys on Dope? I could get a car resprayed in that much Laughing

Post #452308 Thu Feb 12 2015 9:49am
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I have just done 1k miles in my Supercharged since it arrived and averaged 20.5 mpg. Around town (I live in the middle of London) I get around 8 to 10 mpg on trips of around 7 to 8 miles. On a long motorway run, that goes up to around 27 / 28 mpg. The best that it has managed was on 96 mile trip and it managed 29.5 mpg - from Walsall to Central London.....but then that was my daughter driving and she is lighter footed than me Smile

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #452425 Fri Feb 13 2015 3:56pm
JSR2014

Thanks everyone. I am having dreadful issues with my local dealer - I wont name and shame but they have two words which make their name up, the first is the opposite of a girl, and the second is a fish which is delicious both fresh and smoked, and its not trout Wink

Am awaiting a call back from the DP....I wont hold my breath!

Post #452442 Fri Feb 13 2015 5:56pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Boy Herring? 

Post #452445 Fri Feb 13 2015 6:25pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

I find the 3L twin turbo to be a cracking engine, I don't get any lag, but I might drive it differently, it pulls like a train in mid range, I do a mixture of B roads and lanes in the week and motorways at weekends, i have just done a 300 mile trip today, average speed was 71mph and it recorded 26mpg, the engine sounds lovely and is a joy to listen to inside when you shove the loud pedal down, on a friends private road it did 140mph on the clock, the gearbox is also a joy and very smooth indeed unless you really boot it and it can be a little bit harsh on the odd gear change, but overall I love driving it.

The one thing i love about this one I have now is the adaptive cruise control, far better than any of the other I had, I just need to remember that my other cars with cruise control are not adaptive Shocked

I had a Jag XKR 5L SC and even though they come from the same stable as the RR they are totally different cars and I can only see a few similarities between some of the internal bits and bobs.

Good luck Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110