RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > anyone else finding that……………...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234

philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

I have little idea about the technology, but it may be a consequence of ever improvements and the growing list of options. The base technology hasn't change - screen, sat nav, DAB, etc - and for ease of customisation things are probably added in modules. TV, surround cameras, and the like. The touch screen controller has to communicate with all the modules, as does the steering wheel controls, the TFT dash display. The more we add - seats are now communicating with the interface, we now have HUD, wade sensors, traffic signal detection, 360 parking, etc - the more contention there is on the communication network, and in particular when the systems all start up at the same time.

Such a modular design has many advantages. The ability to customise options, add new, replace sections, etc. it is also sometimes easier to fix issues by adding extra modules. But to enable a continued rolling development across multiple product lines their communication is using a BUS that is finite in capability and capacity. 

Post #448802 Sun Jan 18 2015 10:09am
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost
Re: anyone else finding that……………...

StuRRS wrote:
ENVOY wrote:
Anyone else finding that the touch screen, console controls and steering wheel controls are really really slow to respond?

Yes, I have this problem and it seems to have gotten worse over the past couple of weeks. The heated seat sub screen takes an age to come up and the sat nav didn't want to know on a recent trip to that London Town
I am assuming its a software glitch and will report to dealer in due course, but sounds like another land rover 'character trait' Rolling Eyes

This is one of my biggest niggles with the car so far, the screen takes for ever to come to life and you sit there for ages with your finger on the heated seat button before it comes up on the screen, shame the heated seats don't just operate off one simple button, why you have to bring it up on the info screen I have no idea, its similar to the 2010 Jag that I had, only that worked much faster!

I had timed climate on my 2010 sport, because i only drive 12 miles to work and back most days, it wasn't enough to put the amount of charge in to the batteries that was required when using the timed climate, so i ended up with a flat battery a lot, so on this new sport i didn't bother speccing it! some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #448850 Sun Jan 18 2015 4:04pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

philmw wrote:
I have little idea about the technology, but it may be a consequence of ever improvements and the growing list of options. The base technology hasn't change - screen, sat nav, DAB, etc - and for ease of customisation things are probably added in modules. TV, surround cameras, and the like. The touch screen controller has to communicate with all the modules, as does the steering wheel controls, the TFT dash display. The more we add - seats are now communicating with the interface, we now have HUD, wade sensors, traffic signal detection, 360 parking, etc - the more contention there is on the communication network, and in particular when the systems all start up at the same time.

Such a modular design has many advantages. The ability to customise options, add new, replace sections, etc. it is also sometimes easier to fix issues by adding extra modules. But to enable a continued rolling development across multiple product lines their communication is using a BUS that is finite in capability and capacity.

So the opposite of "Vorsprung durch Technik" (advancement of technology)

I guess LR's advertising slogan should be

von der Technik belastet (burdened by technology) 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #448869 Sun Jan 18 2015 6:18pm
Humbug

United Kingdom 

Acceleration lag: in plain HSE (no Dynamic mode) slot into "Sport" but also paddle shift down to 1st gear (otherwise it'll always start in 2nd). Boring to have to remember and boring to have to then change up manually or back out of "Sport" but gets you going as quick as you could want.

Infotainment: problem is simply old, old technology. No way should there be a one-second delay when changing from FM to Digital or skipping forward on a iPod using the steering wheel controls. An up-to-date operating system would cope with as many functions as you want but seems LR chose to add the gimmick of touch-screen control onto an old system rather than invest in the newest technology. Almost every other manufacturer has made that investment and the difference shows.

Boring as the delays are, worse is the danger of controlling so many systems through a touch screen low down in the centre console out of line of sight of the road using controls that you are never sure have worked because of the delay and lack of tactile confirmation. Almost every action requires eyes off the road for too long. Dropping your hand onto a rotary knob surrounded by push buttons while looking at a screen above dash height allows any function to be made safely while driving. Others do it and though it may not allow quite as clean a dash design it makes for far safer – and more relaxing – driving.

Post #448971 Mon Jan 19 2015 2:09pm
peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Quite agree...I picked up a 2 yr old BMW 3 Series convertible last week - nav/audio system is fast and clear. Quite a revelation. I have to spec the new RRS in under 4 weeks, as it's due April, but will delay this until I know when the new infotainment system is going to be introduced.

Post #448972 Mon Jan 19 2015 2:16pm
philmw

You may be waiting a long time as I think JLR see InControl as the way forward. The system in the Disco Sport is functionally very similar to what we have now, albeit with a higher def screen. 

Post #448988 Mon Jan 19 2015 3:58pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Humbug wrote:

Boring as the delays are, worse is the danger of controlling so many systems through a touch screen low down in the centre console out of line of sight of the road using controls that you are never sure have worked because of the delay and lack of tactile confirmation. Almost every action requires eyes off the road for too long. Dropping your hand onto a rotary knob surrounded by push buttons while looking at a screen above dash height allows any function to be made safely while driving. Others do it and though it may not allow quite as clean a dash design it makes for far safer – and more relaxing – driving.

Agree entirely. IMHO a touchscreen control system has no place in a car because you have to take your eyes off the road for far longer to guide your finger to the correct position than you would have to in order to confirm a rotary dial movement. Then as you say, sometimes you're having to make more than one stab at the screen to hit the correct spot. I think that if the same people who decided that using a mobile phone in a car would be a criminal offence understood how the L-R screen operates, they'd try to make using that that an offence too! As for L-R wanting to have a clean dash, I'm sure the decision to put all the systems on a touchscreen was a cost saving decision rather than an aesthetic one

Post #449049 Mon Jan 19 2015 10:03pm
philmw

philmw wrote:
You may be waiting a long time as I think JLR see InControl as the way forward. The system in the Disco Sport is functionally very similar to what we have now, albeit with a higher def screen.

To follow this up JLR are recruiting heavily into their Connected Car programme at the moment - see https://uk.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/27468029 for example 

Post #449575 Sat Jan 24 2015 11:09am
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Last week I got rather close to a vehicle that i was overtaking Whistle and all of a sudden the seatbelts tensioned up pulling us in to the seats Shocked the dash lit up and all the bells went off, i didn't hit anything but since then the IEB lights up.

Is anyone else finding that on start up the IEB warning message lights up on the dash for a few seconds with the usual warning triangle and then goes out?

Is anyone else having paint issues? I have paint peeling off the rear bumper just above the mudflaps Neutral some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #450339 Fri Jan 30 2015 11:41am
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

malcolmw wrote:
I have asked about having the park sensors operate at below a set speed instead of when you select reverse but this appears impossible. It is frustrating to not have them in operation when driving forwards into a parking space. Many people have said they will be going off all the time when you are in traffic if they are on at low speeds but I have had several cars with this feature and I have not had any issues

I have today found out by accident that if you push and hold down the parking sensor 'P' for about 5 seconds it will set to turn on the front sensors automatically for whenever the car is moving forward slowly ie in a traffic jam or parking . The setting still stays in place whenever the car is restarted. You can see the amber light next to the 'P' illuminate ie turned on when the car senses it is in range of giving the sensor/beep info if you get any closer. Not in the manual from what I can see. If the beep is annoying u can turn it down lower in the volume menu. P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #450603 Sat Jan 31 2015 7:51pm
andman

Nice one boldly... that's good to know....

Nearly smacked a wall on the second day of ownership waiting and relying on a beep that never came... Shocked 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #450605 Sat Jan 31 2015 7:57pm
ericr

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Baltic Blue

andman wrote:
Ericr ...looking forward to hearing what sort of results you get when it comes back from the dealer...

Well, the car went in and the dealership said they could see what I meant, carried out an "air pass routine" (whatever the hell that is) and told me it was better. It isn't. It's exactly the same. As much as I love the car and I can live with the CPU delays elsewhere, that accelerator lag is confidence-sapping and I'm waiting for long gaps before I pull out across traffic. I'm afraid the car goes. Anyone want to buy it? lol

Post #450897 Mon Feb 02 2015 3:11pm
andman

Not with that lag you've got...... Rolling with laughter 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #450916 Mon Feb 02 2015 5:34pm
ericr

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Baltic Blue

Not with that lag all SDV6 owners have got! Still, the dealership is in denial so they can't mention it when they give me a price. Seriously, it's a bloody disgrace that LR have not fixed it. It should be easy for the nerds to sort out - make the CPU think it just "eco-started" the engine and it will go off like a bandit, every time.

Post #450927 Mon Feb 02 2015 6:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234