RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Tailgate Paintwork Scratches (was software updates)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost
Tailgate Paintwork Scratches (was software updates)

Booked my motor into the dealers today for any outstanding software upgrades before I set off on my own epic little journey in a couple of weeks time.

The service manager was great, although we have crossed swords before and he knows what I do for a living.

The motor is going in next Wednesday, he will install the outstanding upgrades and check out the scratches that have appeared along the bottom of the upper tailgate. It looks as if the upper tailgate is fouling against the lower tailgate, leaving four little scratched areas in the paintwork. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #43552 Mon Jul 03 2006 5:19pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 
Re: Software updates

TB wrote:
It looks as if the upper tailgate is fouling against the lower tailgate, leaving four little scratched areas in the paintwork.

Exact same issue as I have noticed on ours. Stealer visit is imminent.... Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #43566 Mon Jul 03 2006 7:53pm
nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Scratches on Tailgate

My RRS is now 12 months old and I have had these scratches almost since new . It has been back to the dealers to have the rubber stops changed and reset and the scratches have been painted out but they just keep coming back . My dealer is telling me that this is not a known issue and there is no fix as yet and that only one other car that they have sold is effected and the only solutiion is to keep re-painting them !!

Post #43731 Tue Jul 04 2006 1:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Hi Nick,

That's NOT a solution though is it? Mine has these too, to be honest, unless it started to corrode or flake off I am leaving it for now, I don;t want bits repainted, that then stands out more than the minor scratching.

How's things? Not seen you on here for ages? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #43742 Tue Jul 04 2006 1:27pm
nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

Hi Adam

No agree it is not a solution , but it seems this is not an isolated issue, if you remember I showed these scratces when we first met ?

Having been viewing , but not posted , must catch up for a beer soon .

regards
Nick.

Post #43749 Tue Jul 04 2006 1:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Software updates

Supertrotter wrote:
TB wrote:
It looks as if the upper tailgate is fouling against the lower tailgate, leaving four little scratched areas in the paintwork.

Exact same issue as I have noticed on ours. Stealer visit is imminent....

And mine exactly the same at 4 places...

Post #43759 Tue Jul 04 2006 2:15pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

I think I'm going to show this fault to a few people at work. It sounds as if the Dealers aren't feeding this issue back to Land Rover.

I don't think it is an issue with the tailgate buffers. If you crouch down and look up at the tailgate when closed you will all see that there is a definate clearance gap between the two surfaces.

Don't let you stealers mess with the buffers too much, they are preset at the factory to prevent tailgate rattles and water ingress issues. There is a very thin deviding line between the two.

If I manage to discover anymore I will let you all know. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #43984 Wed Jul 05 2006 3:58pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Good news TB look forward to feedback. Is the cause of the fault the buffers compressing as the door is 'slammed' shut, the damage (on mine) a bruising effect to the paint finish - just thoughts...

Post #44025 Thu Jul 06 2006 7:58am
MDP

United Kingdom 

I had a rattly glass tailgate early on in its life - but having messed around with the rubber stops I found that they were best screwed all the way in/home - I get no rattles & havn't noticed any paint defects.

Worth a try Confused

Good luck 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #44038 Thu Jul 06 2006 11:01am
vigneron

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tonga Green

I have had the same 4 areas of rubbed off paint as well. The dealer has now re-painted three times. After the third re-paint i suggested the dealer put down a layer of clear chip guard material. So far so good. If we could only fix the steering wheel wobble/vibration! 2006 RRS 4.4l V8 Tonga Green/Ivory

Post #44128 Thu Jul 06 2006 8:26pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

vigneron wrote:
I have had the same 4 areas of rubbed off paint as well. The dealer has now re-painted three times. After the third re-paint i suggested the dealer put down a layer of clear chip guard material. So far so good. If we could only fix the steering wheel wobble/vibration!

Moi aussi, et Tim en Ecosse has exactly the same. Definitely an "issue" and / or design flaw. Maybe it is a bit of the Range Rover genetic code showing through. The RR Classics all had dodgey tailgates, that wouldn't shut properly and then rusted away to look like swiss chese Rolling Eyes RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #44130 Thu Jul 06 2006 9:39pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

And now a word from the Glaikit one!

One year on and mine has lots of scratches, but I really don’t want to have the work done until I sell the car as clearly they will simply re-appear. Just had my 15K service (£325) and the service manager knew all about the problem as apparently so do LR. There is a mod coming where they are going to use rubber spacers in recesses to stop the continual rubbing motion which causes the problem…….er, well that’s the company line.

I really don’t want anybody to touch the adjustment, as there is no noise, just scratches which will be fixed under warranty.

Now, if they can only stop the front wheel wobble, my sad, shallow life would be complete.

Post #44135 Thu Jul 06 2006 10:24pm
Lateral5

Australia 

Thanks for pointing it out chaps! Yep, I have them too, just above the number plate Crying or Very sad .....just got out the Maquires and gave it a once over to build up some protection. Looks like the hard plastic panel on the upper tailgate is rubbing, not sure how though as there appears to be quite a bit of clearance? RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #44324 Sun Jul 09 2006 8:45am
rrmad

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

well the good news is it won't rot, the whole shooting match is plastic as we can make out top and bottom. Our black car is worst, reckon the lot expands in thye sun, as it cools you can slide piece of card or paper up eg. no fouling but it the direct sun for a few hours it is tight and sometimes difficult to close. The silver car doesn't seem to suffer.

Post #44796 Tue Jul 11 2006 2:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1