RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Disappearing TFT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Cooperman

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Disappearing TFT

Anybody else had their TFT momentarily turn itself off and then spark back into life about 2 seconds later? Happened to me 3 times now - on each occassion I was exiting the M6 and had taken my foot off the gas and was indicating left (spooky!)

Mentioned it to a salesman at my local stealer on Saturday and he acknowledged the issue - need my software updating apparently. Just tried to book it in, but the receptionist said Service were very busy and would have to call me back in an hour or so. Hmmmmm ...... busy service department Rolling Eyes

As an aside, I was at the stealers enquiring about an Evoque for Mrs Cooperman. Bizarre conversation with the salesman - I felt like he was telling me that owners love their Land Rovers but at the same time providing a 100% cast iron guarantee that there would be some issues with the car! He suggested that the new 9 speed box in the Evoque is having some teething issues ironed out - not an issue in the UK I guess as we don't have physical cars, but I saw a whole transporter train full of 'em last week so some poor overseas country will be blighted by baby RRs that knock themselves into neutral at 28mph Shocked

I'm starting to enjoy my RRS (although its certainly big compared to my previous 335d and it feels a bit 'flash' for me) but after a run of 7 BMWs I'm starting to question whether the ownership experience will match up to what I have become accustomed to Question

Post #403735 Tue Nov 26 2013 2:22pm
Cooperman

UPDATE:

TFT went AWOL again tonight - in the same place as twice before - M6 J13 southbound exit. Weird, its as if something in that location affects the car's electrics.

......and the dealer's service dept didn't call me back. They sure must be busy with something. Perhaps they are out looking for missing TFTs Rolling Eyes

Post #403818 Tue Nov 26 2013 11:17pm
mad-dafty

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Pardon my ignorance mate(newbie here) but what is the TFT? Confused

Post #403822 Tue Nov 26 2013 11:37pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

TFT (thin film transistor) is the technology used to implement laptop and iPad screens. In these models of the RRS, the instrument panel is actually a PC type screen with the instruments appearing as graphics. Not only that but when you go off-road, the screen is reconfigured; the speedo goes off to one side to make space for the axle articulation schematics. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #404259 Fri Nov 29 2013 9:18pm
mad-dafty

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Thanks Mark for a clear and concise description. Now i know. Thumbs Up

Post #404266 Fri Nov 29 2013 10:57pm
SteveK

United Kingdom 

Had the same problem driving to work this morning. TFT screen has quick flash of horizontal lines then blanked out for a couple of seconds. Then reloaded and all was fine.

I've done about 750 miles in my HSE and this is the first time it's happened. Bit disconcerting but not a massive worry as long as it comes back!

Will ask LR if there is a fix, but has anyone else had this corrected?

Post #405429 Mon Dec 09 2013 12:57pm
Luminated

United Kingdom 

I've had similar problems on an Audi A6 with the pop out screen, it would occasionally switch off closing the screen to then moments later pop back out and work again as if nothing have happened. I reckon there's just to much tech in cars now a days and occasionally they cause problems with one another.

Post #407938 Fri Jan 03 2014 2:32pm
G4LAND

Spain 

Cooperman wrote:
UPDATE:

TFT went AWOL again tonight - in the same place as twice before - M6 J13 southbound exit. Weird, its as if something in that location affects the car's electrics.

......and the dealer's service dept didn't call me back. They sure must be busy with something. Perhaps they are out looking for missing TFTs Rolling Eyes

It's curious if each time happens at the same point; all electronics on board supposed to be blind from electromagnetic fields, but it could be a possibility....
This kind of problems is why I don't like to buy recently development cars.... Censored is not bad idea to wait at least one year after developing before you buy Thumbs Up Yuri
(ARS) XE1UN

13 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE SDV6
Orkney Grey/Black
(Spain)

07 RANGE ROVER SPORT HSE TDV8
JavaBlack/Black
(SOLD)

05 DISCOVERY 3 G4 V8
(Spain)

02 DEFENDER 90 BLACK LE TD5
(SOLD)

13 FREELANDER 2 (LR2) HSE Lux SI4
Havana/Black
(Mexico)

Post #408275 Sun Jan 05 2014 10:35pm
peter350

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

cooperman did you get this fixed? I've experienced it about 5 times in 1900 miles now. Thanks Peter

Post #446183 Mon Dec 22 2014 11:05pm
chris_J_G

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I had this a number of times on our FFRR, it had a few software updates but this didn't cure it, went in to the dealers about 2 weeks ago and they changed the complete binnacle, so far so good. so it may also be a hardware issue... MY07 TDV8 HSE (BAS Remap), Java, Privacy Glass,Tasmods.

Post #446198 Tue Dec 23 2014 8:56am
Cooperman

Binnacle changed. Didn't fix it. But then, bizarrely it behaved itself for a few months until recently when it has gone haywire again. Haven't time to spend my life at the dealer, so living with it for now.

Separately, I eventually got a very bad cabin rattle sorted. After a week back at the dealer, they diagnosed a faulty TPMS that was transmitting a sound/vibration into the cabin. Having fixed it, they then revealed a rattle in the roof which necessitated dropping the lining to fix.

I am currently living with: 1) a passenger door that has dropped slightly on its hinges; 2) an instrument binnacle that buzzes and fizzes, particularly when/from cold; and 3) a slight rattle in the driver's door on poor road surfaces.

Nice, but frustrating car. I really cannot understand how they feel the quality you get is consistent with the £65k they take from you. Rolling Eyes

Post #447489 Mon Jan 05 2015 6:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1