RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Nexus 7 build finally completed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

rumz

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Nexus 7 build finally completed

How much space is there behind the current double din head unit - thinking of literally pushing it back as much as possible and mounting the nexus in front - is that possible?

Saves relocating it etc - also, would it be possible to have good quality sound coming just from the headphone jack into the aux port?

Last edited by rumz on Mon Jan 26 2015 1:42am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #445848 Fri Dec 19 2014 5:29pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Rumz,

There's quite allot of space. However, the head unit is mounted on a flange so you would have to remove the control panel from the main component to get beyond the flange onto which it's mounted. Then there are the locating pins at the rear of the unit which support its weight.

If you're going down this route I'd consider just removing the control panel from the HU, which I believe will give you approximately 2 cm in depth to play with. This should be enough for the Nexus 7 to be located there.

You'd then only need to support the head unit. However, to adjust the time etc you'd then have to remove the tablet and reconnect the control panel temporarily.

Regards

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #445978 Sun Dec 21 2014 10:57am
rumz

Thanks Guy Smile

You seem to be a lot in the know about this.

So all I will need to do is remove the black control panel that sits in front of the main head unit- is that difficult?
How would you recommend supporting the head unit? Can I move the locating pins

So I have the nexus 2013 model; is there an additional aux port at the back of the head unit so that I can leave the one at the rear seats in use as well?

Also - will I be using the head unit's Bluetooth for calls or the nexus' - I read on of your posts that the tablet is not great.

Would I need to go down the route of a USB DAC?

I have ordered the following:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/Mf0AAOSwQItT~gV1/.JPG

Hopefully the nexus can reside behind nicely

And:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41laTUDMr-L._SY300_.jpg

How should I connect it to power so that when I start the car, it starts (I will be rooting the nexus)

Thanks Guy Smile

Post #446013 Sun Dec 21 2014 5:39pm
Guyzer73

Rumz,

Haven't got all the answers. I presume the first link is of a double din fascia panel as the image isn't shown?

Firstly, you'll need to take the centre console apart to remove the whole head unit. Do a search on here and you'll find a how to.

Once that's done you'll need to carefully disassemble the HU removing the control panel. If you search on here for "repairing multi disk CD player" you'll find a how to. At this point I'd suggest mating up the new fascia to the HU to see if the Nexus will fit between. Be sure to secure the ribbon cables from the HU to avoid damage. If it fits you're good to go Wink

The rest I'll try to write up tomorrow.

Regards

Post #446028 Sun Dec 21 2014 7:56pm
rumz

Thanks Guy:

Found this: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic29920....cd+changer

So will be following this to remove the front panel.

Yes its just a standard fascia replacement: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/361137692138

Will the head unit be able to play any of the six cd's (MP3's) I put in without the control panel? - thinking of loading it with 6 of my regular cd's.

I really appreciate the write-up and support mate. Thumbs Up

Post #446035 Sun Dec 21 2014 9:18pm
Guyzer73

Morning Rumz,

Okay, firstly I don't think you'll be able to use the CD player from the HU, simply because the CD selection is controlled from the HU Control Panel. Therefore with that removed you'll be stuck on which ever CD you selected before removing it.

Also, and more importantly I don't believe the "MODE" button on the steering wheel selects the "AUX IN" mode therefore if you press this you'll have to reattach the Control Panel to get back to the "AUX IN" to use your Nexus.... However you will be able to use the volume control buttons I believe.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on the above. I'd suggest a bit of trial and error to confirm the above if you don't get ant feedback from others.

Regards the DAC I think you're correct in that you'll need one to get the sound working via a USB hub. I think the link below is what you're trying to replicate:

http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/1ujl...s_weekend/

You'll also need a USB FM radio receiver and SDR Touch App for FM Radio.

Next I was wrong in my original post. The HU also has a metal flange so cannot be easily relocated further to the back without modification and the requirement for a new HU box. Therefore you'll have to double check that the Nexus 7 will fit between the fascia panel and the HU.

THe fascia panel you showed me will need modification to get the Nexus to sit flush to the front, gaining you as much space as possible. You'll basically need to cut away the side panels and probably the lower part as well. Double Din is 100x180mm. The Nexus 2013 has dimensions of 200x114mm and a screen size in the order of 151x95mm. So you'll have to play around to see how it best fits. However this needs to be double checked I did a quick measure on my Sport and the Control panel has a height of approx 120mm, so whilst a tight fight it should go.

Next the AUX IN is only in the rear however if you look at this post from Mr Frog you'll have a how to guide on added a switch to use either your Nexus or the OEM Aux In plus a 'spare' aux in if you want:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic28159.html

So now to the phone. I presume you'll be using your normal hone to make calls or will you be using the Nexus with a sim card? If you're using your phone just get this to pair to the Sports BT and use a brodit mount or similar to have it in a convenient location. You can also then use your phone to create a wifi hotspot which your Nexus can connect to and therefore access the internet Wink If you're using the Nexus then get that to pair with the Sport's BT. But then don't forget you'll need to put your phone into airplane mode otherwise you'll get problems with the twin sim cards...

HOpe that helps a little...

Good Luck!!

Post #446052 Mon Dec 22 2014 5:58am
rumz

Thanks Guy, I will be ordering one of these DACS - where will that connect to - back of the head unit?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-UCA202-U...B000KW2YEI

So now goes for the power- should I get it hard wired to the cigarette socket

Regarding the phone - yes would like to use the current head unit's BT but it needs to be updated - as it always loses the connection.

Regarding Mr Frogs efforts - that looks beyond my capabilities and the e46 attempt is probably the way I would like to go? Would I need the clarion EQ?

Post #446077 Mon Dec 22 2014 1:55pm
rumz

Found this:

http://www.mp3car.com/general-hardware-dis...sleep.html

So I've ordered the DAC, will do Timurs custom rom and just now need to consider how I will power it constantly. I want it to look OEM as possible so will be keeping the cigarette lighter in tact.

Any opinions?

Post #446126 Mon Dec 22 2014 6:42pm
rumz

Ok - so how do I get around this: what do I buy?

Problem 3: Switching the supply on and off with the car.

Solution 3: Use a 12V relay before your step down converter or use a converter with a remote output. Don't try to use the accessory line from your radio harness to power the converter, because it won't provide enough current. This should only be used as a remote signal. Any time power is removed from the input on the OTG cable, USB ROM will go to sleep.

Post #446127 Mon Dec 22 2014 6:43pm
Guyzer73

Rumz,

Now you're getting into unknown territory for me...

I had a basic set up with the tablet/ phone powered via the cigarette lighter. Basically, I spliced into the cables for the lighter and connected a standard cigarette lighter USB adapter from which I ran a USB cable. This gave me 2A for the tablet and 1A for the BT A2DP reciever which I got a garage to hard wire to the AUX IN cables as per Mr. Frog's guide.

I then basically used the AUX IN of the stereo for music and navigation.

The phone/ tablet then connected to both the OEM BT PTI for phonecalls and the BT A2DP receiver for music. That was it and worked for me.

Volume control was from the HU or Steering wheel controls. However, I have got an additional volume control on the equaliser I use to boost the AUX IN signal.

For controlling the devices I used the Actions Pro App (similar to tasker but easier to use and more basic) this allowed me to launch and close apps, connect to wifi and BT etc. I had different profiles running for different situations, for example car mode, standard mode, night time, charging etc and had them prioritised under Actions Pro.

You're now going beyond what I have implemented so have no practical experience with this, only what I have read much like you.

For my current research on a new build I again don't need all of this as I'll use a Xperia tablet which comes with FM radio, Therefore, all I need to do is work out which of the headphone connections serve as the antenna and then wire up the cars FM antenna accordingly to this. I will then have FM Radio, Music, Internet and Telephony from the tablet whilst driving.

THen phone will become redundant whilst driving and will be put into Airplane mode via an NFC tag, and activated the same way when leaving the car. Alternatively, the tablet will only be there for the ICE and Navigation and I'll mount my current phone or a new one by the dash for telephony via the OEM BT. Still undecided there.

All I can suggest is do more research and do a mock up before installing it all to make sure it works. And try keep it as simple as possible, at least for a start. You can always add later.

Regards

Post #446202 Tue Dec 23 2014 10:27am
rumz

Hey guys - so I've just got the double din fascia - can anyone recommend if they are all the same size? The nexus is about 1.5 cm wider and therefore I would need to trim it - not sure how though?

Post #446439 Fri Dec 26 2014 7:32pm
rumz

So here is the update so far.

Almost done Smile

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Need to tart it up but at least it fits Smile

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

All that's left is to wire the sound from the dac and RCA cables, so I will be slicing into the red and blue wires of C1125 as per Mr Frogs description

Many thanks Guy - couldn't of got here without you fella!

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #449351 Thu Jan 22 2015 1:51am
rumz

More photos. Decided to feed it through to the rear aux to a splitter

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #449442 Thu Jan 22 2015 11:51pm
rumz

Right so here it is:

Originally I took the facia control out but the dials were protruding through:

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

So I ended up putting the pcb on top!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I used masking tape as it carries less static

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

An here it is!

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Love it! Wrapping a few more items so will post pics when it is all put back together.

Many thanks to Guy - you've been a ledgend

Post #449787 Mon Jan 26 2015 1:46am
rumz

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

Post #450152 Thu Jan 29 2015 12:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>