RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > First time in a RRS - thoughts and X5 compare
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

mcgroa

First time in a RRS - thoughts and X5 compare

Got a new RRS HSE spec'd up a bit including the low box.

First thoughts.

Good
- wafty beautiful quiet ride compared to X5.
- road noise much better as is suspension - no more runflats
- cabin much nicer and IMO bigger too especially in the back
- higher ride height is nice
- xenons and full lamps are stunning compared to my X5
- std seats are great, seat heating great compared to x5
- love all the gadgety screens like driving economy and 4x4 screen.

Not so good
- Screens and menus quite thrown together - not nearly as unified as iDrive
- dare I say it - I miss the iDrive controller. Especially when you want to zoom in and out on sat nav to see e.g. traffic
- I also miss the split screen on idrive - you could have small sat nav window running, at same time as radio menu.
- Sloshing fuel when tank half full - you can hear it clattering around when you stop at junctions.
- small fuel tank - seems to be 10L smaller than my last car. annoying.
- auto stop. Too clunky. BMW (and wifes MINI) wait a few seconds longer before cutting the engine. In stoppy starty traffic is just plain annoying
- seat memory - I may be wrong but it doesn't seem tied to the key. I like the BMW for all these settings being kept in the key instead of having to press buttons
- seat rewind when you stop. no idea how to stop this but the seat and wheel move back to zero when I stop and open the door. annoying.
- speedo - why is the speedo on the RHS not the left. That seems plain weird to me.

Terrible
- the base sound system is total garbage. no bass at all to speak of. Whats weird is playing movies on the indash player the sound is pretty good. But iphone, Bluetooth or CDs sound crap. Radio the same. Upgrade going to be needed here.
Anyone know a good audio shop in Hertfordshire?!

Post #444644 Mon Dec 08 2014 12:29pm
BKHK

Australia 

Having had one for a weekend recently, I would love a new RRS..........but maybe as a second car.

Lovely ride if you want the comfort, nice high driving position, standard seats quite nice. It even has some class (except for the back). If I saw one in green, I would be very tempted (which is why I don't look too hard) But much as I really love the L494 RRS (ignoring the back end) I just don't think it could be my only car.

My X6 is a more involving drive, a harder ride but brilliant handling. As you say, iDrive is integrated and flexible, I never quite sussed the system on the RRS but I spent the 2 days driving not playing with the electrics. The X6 sports alcantara and leather seats are much more hugging than the RRS and the X6 quicker (subjectively).

Ideally, I would like both an RRS and a BMW. My next car though will be an F80 M3, just the best thing I have ever driven.

But I am still a tad envious when I see a nice L494.......

Post #444647 Mon Dec 08 2014 1:18pm
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

I had 5 X5s of various types before I got the RRS. Regarding seat memory and access modes, you are correct that the system does not memorise seat position per key (user). You have to program one of the seat memory buttons but it is a trivial thing to just push your number when required.

To stop the seat and wheel withdrawing to access positions, you need to find the steering column adjuster (on the side of the column housing) and rotate it to the manual position. The seat then remains where you put it.

I think the auto stop/start is a pain and it should be possible to default it off if required. Regards

Malcolm

Post #444658 Mon Dec 08 2014 2:51pm
mcgroa

Surely the v8 m3 still better? Raced one at Palmer was 'kin quick.

Thx for info on seat adjust. Couldn't have figured on messing with steering column to fix.

Post #444736 Tue Dec 09 2014 1:21am
BKHK

Australia 

Nope, I prefer the 2x Turbo 6 of the F80 to the bent 8 M3. Its not just the engine, the interior of the V8 its looking very dated now....

Post #444740 Tue Dec 09 2014 4:28am
mikef

United Kingdom 

mcgroa, are you referring to the old E70 X5 or the new F15 because according to reports, the F15 is a big step up in terms of ride comfort and cabin quality. If its the old E70 you are referring to, I agree with you because I owned one. The ride quality was appalling on the runflats and in fact I changed to standard tyres as soon as the first set of runflats wore out. Surprised to hear you say though that the new RRS is bigger in the back because with the drivers seat set for my long legs, there is virtually no leg room behind and the boot isn't exactly large either. IIRC the E70 had more rear legroom and a bigger boot. Actually I'm a bit disappointed with the rear legroom and boot space in my new RRS but then I traded down from a L322 FFRR so its bound to feel smaller

Post #444907 Wed Dec 10 2014 1:54pm
mcgroa

Yep e70. I switched the 20s out for 19s and took the flared arches off. Made a big diff but never as quite as smooth as the Rrs (apart from fuel slap).
Didn't even try new one as thought gone a bit ugly.
I'm not tall so maybe that's the diff. Maybe also the door entry or height or something. Feels bigger to me. Boot I'd say is marginally bigger /wider not a lot in it.

Post #445690 Thu Dec 18 2014 12:54am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

The boot is laughable in the new L494.... Actually about 25% smaller in cubic capacity than the old RRS...

Add that to the rear seats that don't lay flat anymore and the difference to the load you can carry is significant..

Mike will be noticing it most though coming from the L322 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #445694 Thu Dec 18 2014 7:05am
Chrisr1806

England 

But then you don't buy an RRS for the boot. Wink Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #445722 Thu Dec 18 2014 1:41pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Quote:
But then you don't buy an RRS for the boot

For £70k you expect a car marketed as a family holdall to have a reasonable sized boot. Its a bit of cynical marketing by L-R to push buyers towards the FFRR but they are not alone in doing this

Post #445723 Thu Dec 18 2014 1:46pm
Gargy

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Don't understand the 'key sets the seat position' query.

My 2009 HSE TDV8 has this option. But you have to set the smart, or is it lazy entry to on in the cars menu.

Good luck.

Post #445728 Thu Dec 18 2014 2:06pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Simple
RRS - an eyes and heart decision.
BMW - a head and wallet decision.

Unfortunately the RRS complexity/ reliability is disappointing whereas the BM seems to be built and constructed to one design.

Post #445736 Thu Dec 18 2014 3:22pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Chrisr1806 wrote:
But then you don't buy an RRS for the boot. Wink

Don't agree at all Chris....

It's only now living with the RRs i'm feeling the pinch on loadspace...

Would of gone FF but the RRS suits my driving better so the boot was the compromise...

My last RRs was used as a builders truck !! Shocked 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #445739 Thu Dec 18 2014 3:44pm
BKHK

Australia 

Nor sure I agree drdel. My X6 was a heart and head decision and I don't regret it one bit. Can't fall in love with the L494 yet but it is growing on me slowly, very slowly. It's on the list for next time around to consider.

Post #445796 Thu Dec 18 2014 11:21pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

drdelrrs wrote:

RRS - an eyes and heart decision.
BMW - a head and wallet decision.

Don't agree at least at the moment. The new RRS seems set to hold its value very well, at least whilst supply is constrained, so the new RRS could be a 'wallet' decision too

Post #445824 Fri Dec 19 2014 3:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>