RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Tracker or not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mikef

United Kingdom 
Tracker or not?

Is fitting a tracker to a new RRS worth it? As I understand it, car thieves are now wise to trackers and can disable them just as quickly as they can steal the car. If the concensus is to fit one anyway, does anyone know about the L-R Trackstar product, in particular the version with the extra fob? Both Trackstar products seem very expensive to me

Post #441836 Fri Nov 07 2014 12:53pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Thieves are wise to them but can only disable them if they know where they are and can get to them. I've heard of issues with the Trackstar device finding the fob in several installations.

I use Tracker's devices on my cars which have been very good. In my experience, however, the Tracker sales department is (almost) useless. 

Post #441839 Fri Nov 07 2014 1:01pm
Ian.H

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

I used Tracking My Car to install my Tracker Locate on my Focus RS. Did a great job for me at a fraction of the Tracker price. Would definitely use them again.

Cheers..

Ian

Post #441842 Fri Nov 07 2014 1:32pm
spear

United Kingdom 

For me, this was about insurance. Having a Track Star fitted saved me loads on the premium even when taking into account the install + registration fees etc.

In fact, I struggled to even obtain a quote without one.

Post #442558 Fri Nov 14 2014 1:23pm
Andyjay123

just get a bespoke alarm 2006 RRS Supercharged 4.2 HST muthuaflecka!

Post #442569 Fri Nov 14 2014 3:52pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I have the LR Trackstar system (no additional fob though) on my RRS1. It works - when the RRS was taken on a flatbed to the dealer Trackstar phoned me almost straight away to confirm if I was aware it was moving etc. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #442572 Fri Nov 14 2014 4:16pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Ive had a tracker in the past and now never again...he main reason/question - would I want I back...well no I wouldn't

Then the insurance saving does not often offset having it installed or maintaining it and finally will it be compromised by any jamming crooks use - possibly, so net its a waste of time. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #442864 Mon Nov 17 2014 9:12pm
Andyjay123

I've been advised they have hand held scanners which can locate the tracker 2006 RRS Supercharged 4.2 HST muthuaflecka!

Post #442866 Mon Nov 17 2014 9:56pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

mse wrote:

Then the insurance saving does not often offset having it installed or maintaining it and finally will it be compromised by any jamming crooks use - possibly, so net its a waste of time.

Unfortunately, sometimes the tracker is a prerequisite of getting insurance. It's not about getting lower cost insurance but getting insurance at all. My current insurance co. require a tracker to be fitted. I went with them because I was struggling to find anyone who would cover off-road use. My previous insurer wanted a tracker fitted - they were significantly cheaper than anyone else (who may, or may not have also wanted a tracker). It cost me about £400 for fitting and then lifetime (my ownership of the vehicle) operation. Over several years' ownership that would make it cheaper to have it fitted.

Having said all of that, like you, I'd rather not have it back once some scrote has had his fun in it. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #442874 Mon Nov 17 2014 11:27pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

All 2015MY cars (it may even be 2014.5MY onward) come with one standard from the factory - it's part of the InControl Secure system and it is NOT like traditional trackers in that there are no add-on boxes.................. it utilises all the systems fitted to the car and "silently" alerts you, the police and the tracking centre if your car is moved or an attempt is made to drive it off without the AUTHORISED keys being used to start it.
I have had one of the first systems in the UK on my Evoque since last March - it didn't work properly on delivery of the car but LR flew a developement engineer up to my local dealer who traced the problem to their control centre - the car was working fine just the subscription payment (none now) had not been recognised! It works in conjunction with a smart phone app and a control centre. All new RRS and FFRR's come with the first 3 years subs paid too. It is part of the Thatcham 6 rating that LR gets on current Evoque (where it is a paid optional extra) , RRS and FFRR.
Provided you have a fast 3g/4g or wifi connection you can monitor your car anywhere in the world - I know it works from China and Pakistan as I was able to track my brother driving the car while I was out of the country. You can also see if the doors are locked, the bonnet/tailgate are closed/open and if the windows/sunroof are open or closed. It will also show you how much fuel range is left in the tank and how to get back to your car if you forget where you parked it!
If you have the InControl Remote then this is for use in the event of a technical issue and at the press of a button (provided you have mobile phone coverage) the car will call for help and download the fault log to the control centre and the Land Rover Assist mechanic who attends. There are still issues with dealer's service techniaicans not knowing what to do when the car is being serviced though - the system will alert both the police and the control centre if the battery is tampered with.
InCOntrol Secure is the next generation on from the excellent Land Rover Trackstar system. One reason for LR now fitting their own system on the production line is that RRS and FFRR's price now makes them fall over the high value point whereby Insurers insist on trackers for high value vehicles (£75000 IIRC for most insurers) so it made sense to fit one at the factory. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #443305 Sat Nov 22 2014 10:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1