RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > OBD Swith to Counter Security Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Violetpiano

United Kingdom 
OBD Swith to Counter Security Issue

My dealer has just told me that they can fit an "OBD Switch" to counter the security issue.

I don't want to get into a debate about what LR should / should not be doing about the issue as it has been discussed in other posts but has anybody else been offered this? I have asked my dealer how this works, its effectiveness and its legitimacy.

Jas

Post #441714 Thu Nov 06 2014 2:19pm
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Sounds good if it helps keep car safe 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #441740 Thu Nov 06 2014 5:01pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Might be worth checking on warranty issues too, if the switch in anyway cuts the wiring loom

Post #441751 Thu Nov 06 2014 7:01pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

The OBD port gives access to the in-car network called CAN-BUS. This is a bit like an ethernet or USB connector and what the dealer is offering is the ability to disconnect the wires which connect to the bus.

I run my Evoque with the bus disconnected from the OBD connector but it's a delaying tactic only. The thieves can gain access to the bus elsewhere in the car. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Last edited by Mark_N on Fri Nov 07 2014 7:24am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #441777 Thu Nov 06 2014 9:47pm
Andyjay123

Retrofit an alarm Smile 2006 RRS Supercharged 4.2 HST muthuaflecka!

Post #441780 Thu Nov 06 2014 10:13pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

My dealer finally got back to me today regarding this. The switch is fitted by the company that installs the Tracking Units for LR and apparently just disables the OBD. Given the previous posts here about the EU ruling regarding access to the OBD, I am no clearer regarding the legality of this. However, he did confirm that fitting this will not affect the warranty in any way and the cost is £200.

Has nobody else out there been offered this switch by their dealers?

Jas

Post #442154 Mon Nov 10 2014 11:14pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

You shouldn't worry about the legality for one minute. The requirement from the EU is for the manufacturer to provide access to the OBD for third party maintainers - an access point, the device to connect and the software and documentation to make use of it. If you as the owner choose to disable the port by logically cutting the wires to it, that's entirely your own business and since the dealer has confirmed there are no warranty issues, you'll be fine.

I stress though that it's a delaying tactic only because the bus can be accessed elsewhere and if the switch is itself accessible, it can be bridged. It's an effective deterrent against the car being stolen on your driveway because when the thieves plug in their device, it will not work and they will hopefully give up. They may still cause damage to your car out of spite but at least it will still be there.

I wonder whether LR have in any way endorsed this. With their backs against the wall, they might have sanctioned it as a stop-gap measure.

It will be interesting to know - though not to be published in open forum - what sort of switch is used and where it is located. There's no point having a simple rocker switch right next door to the socket. A key operated switch located elsewhere requiring a significant smount of disassembly to get at it would be more secure. Mark

Post #442164 Tue Nov 11 2014 6:58am
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Violetpiano wrote:
and the cost is £200.

amazing that you will have to pay for this yourself! that's just unacceptable! Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #442179 Tue Nov 11 2014 10:15am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

The problem is that LR have been paralysed into inaction like a rabbit caught in the headlights. While focussing on yet more driving gadgets of questionable worth, they are ignoring - or at least failing to address - the fact that the car is easy to steal in the wrong hands.

Like Nero playing the violin while Rome burned, LR are congratulating themselves on big profits while their product is singled out for bad press. It doesn't matter that it's a problem affecting the industry, it's within their gift to fix it by making changes to the product. New hardware, new software, new user and maintenance procedures.

What would really concentrate their minds would be for the security features to be judged not fit for purpose and them forced into a world-wide recall.

They can take a lesson from what Porsche did this year when there were two 991 GT3 engine fires. They found the con-rod bolts were letting go and they recalled every one of 800 cars made and replaced the entire engine. Expensive, but if the next fire could kill someone, what choice did they have?

This isn't a safety issue, lives are not at risk, but 800 cars is about a day's production for Solihull and Halewood. LR need to wake up and realise that the longer they keep their heads firmly buried in the sand, the more difficult and expensive the eventual fix will be. Mark

Post #442184 Tue Nov 11 2014 10:47am
UK Guy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

tanloverluke wrote:
Violetpiano wrote:
and the cost is £200.

amazing that you will have to pay for this yourself! that's just unacceptable!

+1
It's all just about making money... RRS HSE with a few extras & a
2013 RRS Autobiography

Post #442195 Tue Nov 11 2014 2:07pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

UK Guy, agree and told my dealer to fit the damn thing but don't you dare add it to my invoice!

Jas

Post #442196 Tue Nov 11 2014 2:17pm
UK Guy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Well done..... We need more of that stance.

It's because most people just pay up whatever the dealer charges which give them the feeling that they can get away with anything.
I had a local to me dealer charge me for investigating their shoddy workmanship which they confirmed there was an issue, then they looked at me like I was an alien when I refused to pay their £65 + vat fee!! Shocked

Dealer are always trying to bend you over...!
They should have a notice on the door...
'Your bill is available with or without Vaseline' Evil or Very Mad RRS HSE with a few extras & a
2013 RRS Autobiography

Post #442209 Tue Nov 11 2014 3:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1