Home > Off Topic > This was a hard choice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

MDP

United Kingdom 
This was a hard choice

A link to a few pics of my Audi S4 Cabriolet 4.2V8 quattro

http://rrsport.theseusnorth.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=19

It's got to go to make room for my new RRS Supercharged in September.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #429 Tue Jun 21 2005 12:09am
Tim

Netherlands 

Woow, great car!
No Sat Nav??? 
Owns 2002 Range Rover
Wants a 2006 Range Rover TDv8
or
2006 Range Rover Sport TDv6

Post #435 Tue Jun 21 2005 12:06pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

No Sat Nav.... I Know...this could be it's/my downfall Crying or Very sad 

Post #436 Tue Jun 21 2005 1:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My brother has an A4 3.0V6 Sport Quattro Conv.............. as well as an Aston Martin DB9. He loves the Audi but it has had loads of problems with the roof mechanism and 2 new operating systems in a year.........
I would say that at first you will miss your Audi, especially on sunny days , but then think that maybe the roof on the Sport doesn't fold into the boot but is does have fantastic AirCon, and you can filter out all the traffic fumes and soot from other cars. Maybe you have even specified the sunroof (don't see the point of them myself,when you have climate control!) .... then think the A4 is a lovely car, beautifully built................................ but look at how many there are out there, an awful lot of them!
If you really yearn for another softtop after you take delivery of the Sport.............. whizz back down to the LR dealer and look at a soft or hard back Freelander 3door, LR dealers are nearly giving away 2nd hand 3 doors at the moment. But don't touch a V6 auto only one with a barge pole ........ unless you can stand the 20mpg and can get a really good deal on it. Best one of the lot is the TD4 Auto 3 door Sport Premium but they are very very rare................ they are great wee fun cars and you will be amazed how far offroad you can get in one too!

Post #439 Tue Jun 21 2005 2:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Cheers Tim, I traded in a 3.0V6 Quattro Cab .... for the S4 & prior to that I had a 2.4V6 Cab. You could say I've been partial to them over the last 3yrs. However, I had no such problems with any of the roof mechanisms.

Today i have just done a 2hr round trip to Northampton ( DVLA ) this does include nearly an hour wait there....... to remove my plate & put it on retention, enabling me to sell the S4... ASAP.

Must say the temp was nearly 80F .... roof off all the way.... great drive.... great morning out Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .... in fact I could have carried on till I ran out of road Cool Cool Cool Cool 

Post #441 Tue Jun 21 2005 3:09pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I too have had that sort of a day................... not quite so far but made one of my rare forrays down to Edinburgh (Stirling has everything in the way of big name shops and is only 16 miles away, Edinburgh has the swanky shops but is a 100 mile round trip and £1.60 an hour parking!). Lovely sunny day, gusty North West wind, filled up the Sport for the 3rd time in 800 miles, reset the trip computer and set off down the M9 and M8 for the big city! With the sport I feel I once again have a car that I can just go for a drive for the hell of it - the RR was not like that, going out in it was an "ocassion". I think the last car I enjoyed driving as hard was the TVR350i I owned years and years ago!
Cruising along with 70 set on the cruise control and getting loads of X5's and ML's cruising up alongside to see what the Sport looks like is great fun on the nearly empty motorways up here during the day. Anyway even better was watching the fuel consumption readout clicking up..... 23,24,25,26,27...... oh this is so good and my wallet is feeling great too! 32 mpg was the best I saw on the wind assisted eastward run. In the cut and trust of Edinburgh city traffic it dropped a bit, but not that much, to 28.8mpg.
After doing my shopping things I set out for home along the same route. Lunchtime city traffic wasn't too bad and I was soon out at Ingleston and the start of the motorway again with 27.8mpg showing on the trip.
Down the sliproad and accellerate up to 70ish using the cruise to accellerate the car and the trip computer starts it's upward climb again, not so good this time as I was driving into a good 25mph wind! I arrived home unstressed, cool and with the trip computer showing 29mpg. Fuel consumption looks like it is going to be the TDv6 Sport's forte as it doesn't seem to matter if you welly it or relax and waft along the fuel consumption stays fairly constant.

I have just read the Autocar quicktest of the TDv6 engine in the big XJ6 Jaguar................ BMW 5 series and Audi A6 diesel's have just been knocked right into touch.
Here is the final summary in Autocar
"Unless I was dealing with a committed xenophobe, I've always found it difficult to recommend an XJ over its German rivals because they all did the job of stress free travel rather better than the Brit. But the XJD is one of those cars blessed with some outstanding attributes that still manages to offer the driver and passengerrather more than it should. For me it ressurrects the notions of Jaguar-ness as I imagined they should be: a car car of charm and consistent ablity, a car you step out of more relaxed than you would be from the opposition but without being able to explain why. Yes, it's very refined and offers fine ride comfort. But crucially, it's ever so slightly aloof. German car makers have been trying and failing, to build this quality into their cars for years, but Jaguar can still manage the trick spontaneously. Long may it continue." I think they rather liked it!
They also managed a fuel consumption of 34mpg out of it on the quick test, it was not being given a full test on a circuit. That is the same engine as the TDv6, but with 2 turbos instead of the one in the Disco3 and Sport.

Post #442 Tue Jun 21 2005 3:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1