RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > TDV8 Turbo Actuator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

PaulWhite

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bonatti Grey
TDV8 Turbo Actuator

Had my TDV8 go into limp mode about 8 weeks ago while I was back in the UK. Got to Nick Evans in Crossways, Dorset after being told by others that I was in for a body off repair. As I understood it the error was "too much pressure in the turbo".

Nick fixed it by cleaning something which regulates the turbo. I suppose it was the actuator or was it the wastegate?

No matter it must be something which you can get at without taking the body off.

Yesterday about 2000 Km later in Germany the car went into limp mode just after starting with the same fault display again but luckily I just stopped and restarted and the error was gone. Went to the local dealer in Bayreuth who read out the error

"unexpected Data received from ECM/PCM. - unexpected operation"

He says the body must come off and that nothing can be cleaned or checked without doing this. He says you can't get at the actuator any other way. It will be a thousand Euro Job just to get at whatever is wrong and they can't do it this week anyway.

I read here that it is possible to clean the turbo actuator and also possible to see it moving from underneath. This must be the case because I assume that is what they did at Evans.

I usually go to a good local indi for minor stuff when I am in Germany and he says he will help if I can tell him where to look. I need to get it checked because I will be driving back to Weymouth on Friday (now Wednesday) and am worried if it will make the 1400 km journey with no problems.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to check/clean the actuators? I assume to start we will need to remove the under engine protection stuff, but then what? Any pictures would be fantastic.

Thanks

-Paul-

Post #440167 Wed Oct 22 2014 3:58am
Alex C

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

What total crap, suggest you don't go back there again!

Easy to check.

Look under the car, Where the track rod comes out is a plastic cover with 4 plastic clips, pop these out with a screwdriver. Look directly up and you will see the actuator on the side of the turbo, there is a thin rod coming down towards you which will go up and down when you turn the ignition on or give it some gas...

Best way to check it is moving is to have someone turn the key on and off while you look up with a torch, I had to free mine off with WD40 and a bent wire coat hanger, fitted perfectly up to the little ball joint on the rod. Was really stiff and corroded round the joint, fine now. Smile someone then advised best to use A silicone based spray GT85 but depends what you have to hand I guess.

Mine had split the intercooler pipe too so check those for any damage.

Can't believe a garage said you need body off to check that, the most difficult bit is taking off the plastic cover clips!! TDV8 Java Black, Overfinch 22s

Post #440170 Wed Oct 22 2014 7:38am
PaulWhite

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Bonatti Grey
Thanks

Thanks for the swift answer. I have had my doubts about some of the stuff that was done here before.

However I must say when the manifolds started squeaking like budgies and the body came off they did seem to have some good sense.

They didn't use the new parts supplied by Rover (under guarantee) but had the old manifolds planed down and put back on. Evidently they only distort once and supposedly after about 40000 km's. I think that has saved me money in the long run.

-Paul-

Post #440210 Wed Oct 22 2014 7:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1