RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > First month of ownership and a trip to Dunkeld
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

challigan

Scotland 
First month of ownership and a trip to Dunkeld

so after our first month of ownership and 1500 miles, what's the verdict?

2 minor issues, booked in to get them sorted later this month (BTW is it common practice for JLR dealers to charge for a loan car when if for warranty work?? New one on me!). The issues are, the drivers seat (base) side bolster near the door looks tatty already, checked with others and it must be a fault! Second fault is the wipers and screen washers, the screen washers fire a mist that doesn't really seem to touch the screen (minor adjustments needed I think) and the wipers themselves don't seem to clear the screen properly, leave a gap in the centre (even when they obviously run over it) and leave drag marks on the back stroke (so clear on the up and drag on the back - so you're left with the drag marks).

Then there's the issue everyone has, the gap....I have it and have registered the fact.

All else is great, love the car. Rides is good, quality (apart from above) is good and comfort is great.

On top of this I got the invite to Dunkeld (Landrover Experience) for the half-day off road, I think all get this invite and it's definitely worth taking the time to go, you learn just how really capable these cars are....amazing!

Only downside is that I wish we'd spec'd up our car a little more and gone for Dynamic and the twin speed transfer box - and the all around cameras - off road these make life a lot easier - in saying that don't intend to spend too much time off road but we do get deep snow so some extra features would have made it easier (although I don't expect that it will be too troubled).

Did everyone know about the 'extended' ride height? This is another level above the highest setting (low - normal - off road) and is really useful when the car gets grounded.....I knew nothing of this until shown by our instructor at Dunkeld - all have it but you can't select it, the car decides! Basically when grounded, press the button for the lowest setting and the car will see that it's grounded (wheel loading reduced) and then lift the car 7cm above the highest setting! Got out and had a look when in this mode and the car looks like it's on stilts (a long way down too!). With deep snow this could be really useful Wink

Anyway had a great time on the Experience and I urge all to take the trip if offered Smile

We've now booked for a off road trek - in our own car - on 30th Dec where we're going to be driving up a Munro (3,000 ft) in convoy with the instructors, coming back in the dark.....should be fun, can't wait.

Cheers, Colin Colin

Current - 68 plate RRS2 HSE in Corris Grey
Gone - 16 plate RRS2 HSE in Montalcino Red
Gone - 64 plate RRS2 HSE in Barossa
Gone - 2012 Porsche Cayman R
Gone - 2012 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Previous:
2012 Range Rover Evoque Dynamic (too small unfortunately)
2012 VW Amarok (too slow and not enough engine!)
2009 Audi R8 V8 Coupe (lots of fun but sadly gone)
2008 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV8 (great but unreliable)
2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe (great car sadly missed)

Post #439069 Sat Oct 11 2014 9:22am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I've never been charged for a loan car by a LR dealer. Sometimes they try to charge you for insurance but if your insurance covers you for their car then that's not an issue.

The extended height mode has been with us since the D3/RRS1. It notices grounding and then raises the height by about 50mm (I think). You can then ask for a bit more by pressing the brake pedal and holding the raise button for a few seconds. It makes the RRS1 look high up - I can only imagine what the RRS2 looks like as it starts off with more ground clearance anyway.

Glad you're enjoying your new toy and glad to hear you'll be using it in anger off road. Thumbs Up Enjoy and revel in the ability to go quite seriously off road and then drive home in leather-lined, climate controlled comfort. Something the Defender boys don't get to do Rolling with laughter

Oh, and don't forget some piccies of yours off road! Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #439074 Sat Oct 11 2014 10:26am
rangiejools

Australia 

Hi Colin,
Quote: " and the wipers themselves don't seem to clear the screen properly, leave a gap in the centre (even when they obviously run over it) and leave drag marks on the back stroke (so clear on the up and drag on the back - so you're left with the drag marks)."
My wipers give me the same problem and leave a drag mark where the right wiper crosses the left wipers max stroke. Is in my line of sight and very annoying. Have tried cleaning the screen but no luck. Thought it was grease on the screen. Must be the wipers. Can only demonstrate when raining and as we are coming into summer will be a bit difficult to show dealer.

Jools. SDV8 arrived and fantastic even the infotainment!
1983 2 door Range Rover ARB Bar X9000 winch ARB Rear Bar now semi retired.
Many big trips done in this one.
1982 Rangerover nearly restored.
22 Defender D250 with lots of stuff for outback touring
Nice 2013 Freelander TD4 manual (for daughter to learn on) with much better stereo compared with previous SD4 SE with Meridian which sounded bad!
2013 Land Rover Defender ute.

Post #439159 Sun Oct 12 2014 1:06pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

It is normal for a dealer to charge for a courtesy car. Up here anyway Rolling Eyes

We went to the RRS launch at Gleneagles. Included in the event was a half hour or so off road. On speaking to the instructor (a customer of mine) they said they had to redevelop part of the off road course to make it more challenging, as the new RRS walked the planned course...

He also let on they tried the Defender up the same course, and the Defender couldn't make it Laughing

Post #439160 Sun Oct 12 2014 1:22pm
challigan

Scotland 

don't want to dispute that Disco_Mikey but bought 6 cars (all up in Scotland) in last 4 years including 2 x Porsche, 1 x Audi, 1 x VW and 2 x LandRover and not once have I been asked to pay anything for a loaner......in fact been given the keys of several high value cars for a weekend without cost and certainly never paid for a loaner when been in for service, repair or warranty work.

It's a first for me, ever (hence why I asked) and I've been buying cars for a very long time........but be assured that I will not be paying and in fairness see no reason why it should be any different from my experiences when back in England. Colin

Previous:

Post #439172 Sun Oct 12 2014 3:36pm
challigan

Scotland 

Jools,
yeah, same as mine then although it shows when using the windscreen washers too, so I should be able to demo to the dealer when visiting. I'll let you know how I get on but looking at the wiper arms it does look like one of the them (driver side) is out of position so that may be the issue. Colin

Previous:

Post #439173 Sun Oct 12 2014 3:38pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Parks Landrover in Ayr have never charged me for a loaner as long as I transfer my insurance onto it. It's a £10 charge otherwise. My insurance broker doesn't charge for doing a temporary change either for a day or so.

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #439197 Sun Oct 12 2014 8:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1