Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > New Tax Disc Rules
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
New Tax Disc Rules

Updates and advice on abolition of the vehicle tax disc.

From 1 October 2014, the paper tax disc will no longer need to be displayed on a vehicle windscreen. If you have a tax disc with any months left to run after this date, then it can be removed from the vehicle windscreen and destroyed. Customers with a Northern Ireland address will still need to display their MoT disc.
There is a video available (Goodbye to the tax disc) which explains that the tax disc will no longer be issued from 1 October 2014. You can watch the video on our YouTube channel.
You can apply online to tax or SORN your vehicle using your 16 digit reference number from your vehicle tax renewal reminder (V11) or 11 digit reference number from your log book (V5C)

What this means to you

To drive or keep a vehicle on the road you will still need to get vehicle tax and DVLA will still send you a renewal reminder when your vehicle tax is due to expire. This applies to all types of vehicles including those that are exempt from payment of vehicle tax.
Buying a vehicle

From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.
You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch.
Selling a vehicle

If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.
Vehicle tax refunds

You will no longer need to make a separate application for a refund of vehicle tax. DVLA will automatically issue a refund when a notification is received from the person named on DVLA vehicle register that the:

vehicle has been sold or transferred
vehicle has been scrapped at an Authorised Treatment Facility
vehicle has been exported
vehicle has been removed from the road and the person on the vehicle register has made a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
person on the vehicle register has changed the tax class on the vehicle to an exempt duty tax class
Paying vehicle tax by Direct Debit

From 1 October 2014 (5 October if setting up at a Post Office®), Direct Debit will be offered as an additional way to pay for vehicle tax. This will be available for customers who need to tax their vehicle from 1 November 2014:

annually
6 monthly
monthly (12 months tax paid for on a monthly basis)
Provided an MOT remains valid, the payments will continue automatically until you tell DVLA to stop taking them or you cancel the Direct Debit with your bank. Valid insurance should also be in place for vehicles registered in Northern Ireland.
The Direct Debit will be cancelled and payments automatically stopped when you tell DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle, or the vehicle has been taken off the road and a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) has been made.
When the Direct Debit scheme can’t be used

Paying by Direct Debit will not be available to:

first registration vehicles
fleet schemes
HGVs (paying the Road User Levy)
Checking the tax status of a vehicle

You can check the tax status of any vehicle online. This can also be used for rental vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this will change the way we think when buying or selling our next motor. Don't buy or sell a motor in the middle of any month, otherwise the DVLA are on a win win situation. Aren't they always? Whistle

Post #434387 Thu Aug 28 2014 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
moles

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the very informative post. Do you know if there is a premium if you pay via Direct Debit monthly instead of yearly?

Post #434391 Thu Aug 28 2014 2:35pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

I don't think so, you will only get stung if you buy or sell a vehicle mid month.

Quote:
annually
6 monthly
monthly (12 months tax paid for on a monthly basis)

Post #434393 Thu Aug 28 2014 3:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

A Bit More Info Here.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/drivers-...41813.html

Post #434478 Fri Aug 29 2014 7:22am
a13xbb

United Kingdom 

I just had to renew mine!! It's crazy how much the aluminium tax disc holders are still going for! Surly they would be giving them away! But seeing as I'll only need to display it for a month I won't bother! Cheers for the info

Also I guess it won't help sale prices of the SC!!!! Buying one with 12 months tax (£500) was a good aid to selling! Evil or Very Mad

Post #434481 Fri Aug 29 2014 9:42am
Beancounter_74

England 

Was going to ask what you were doing with your old tax disk holder Ady, but just seen your listing on eBay, you decided to sell and go for the clean windscreen look after all then Thumbs Up Whistle

Click image to enlarge
 ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #438274 Wed Oct 01 2014 3:28pm
Dapo B.

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Thank you Ady for this info. We will try and follow the rule as it stands. If history is anything to reference in this case, I can see DVLA ditching this online thing as dodgers will find a way around it. Kinda similar to the way millions of people drive without insurance in the UK today. I hope these cameras will be around just every corner to catch people who flouts the rule.
I also foresee a situation whereby people who have correctly tax their cars receive fine because of some computer glitch/bug in DVLA system. I hate to be pessimistic about this one, I just don't think it is sustainable.
Maybe a few years trial run will convince me otherwise, happy to stand corrected anyone.

Post #438277 Wed Oct 01 2014 3:57pm
Bungleaio

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

ANPR has been around for a long time now so it must have caught a fair few already.

Personally I'm not that bothered if people flaunt the law, I know I don't and I can sleep ok because of it. It doesn't matter what you do for any rules people will always break them. Its not like its hard to photoshop up a tax disc if you know what you are doing.

My tax disc holder was pulled out of my car this morning however I'll be leaving the one in my classic mini in though as it's original dealer issue from 1993. I'm going to try and get a period disc up to put in it.

Post #438279 Wed Oct 01 2014 5:35pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Thanks Bc, it looks like your the winning bidder Very Happy Should look nice in your BMW. Thumbs Up

I think this new tax idea will increase number plate theft, or twinning up of number plates off other vehicles.

Post #438312 Wed Oct 01 2014 9:00pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

I think you are spot on Ady, if someone is not going to bother taxing and insuring their car, it would be no skin off their nose, puting on a cloned plate (that's if they can buy a set online without producing documents, as stolen plates might raise suspicion)
Up here, I recon I could travel within a radius of 50 miles without passing a fixed ANPR camera, and since the rozzers moved the traffic dept to another town we never see traffic cars around. Still think the government missed a trick, it should have been added to fuel cost as a separate tax. Based on my mileage/fuel consumption and cost of disc, I would be happy with anything less than 25p/ltr added. Anyone that does over 10k/ year might argue that is too high, but at least it would get EVERYONE including foreign registered cars contributing to the roads -we have to pay tolls abroad anyway!
Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #438333 Wed Oct 01 2014 11:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1