RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > ipad mini install or other??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

0ane

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HST Java Black
ipad mini install or other??

hi guys i feel the sat nav screen on my RRS is dated, looking at installin the ipad mini in there instead (happy listening to it through the aux lead) my question is does the sat nav unit have to stay in? i saw a similar post to this one where the guy kept it in.. will it change anything if its taken out and unplugged? any more ideas on an alternative etc? i was thinking oif installing the ipad in there and using my iphone as a hotspot. thanks in adavance

Post #436684 Tue Sep 16 2014 1:44pm
m40cca

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Let me know how you get on wouldn't mind doing the iPad mini transfer myself

Post #436768 Tue Sep 16 2014 10:10pm
Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Guyzer did some work installing a Tablet in his car. Check the 3 threads below, unfortunately a lot of the pictures have gone missing.

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic29108.html

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic34542.html

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/post413983.html

If you are happy to use AUX, I can't see why you couldn't disconnect or tuck the existing screen away somewhere.

I'd personally like to replace the headunit, but I think the optical output makes this a dog. I was half way through an iPad install a few years ago, but that was directly wired into the cars sound system (using an Audison BitOne) so slightly different.

Keep us updated Thumbs Up LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #436805 Wed Sep 17 2014 10:50am
Sag

Forgot about this one http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic32419.html LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #436825 Wed Sep 17 2014 2:18pm
0ane

Yeah that's what I want! Something like that! Can you remove the standard screen or does it have to stay In with it linked to diagnostics and suspension etc?

Post #436878 Wed Sep 17 2014 8:35pm
Sag

I'm not sure what the implications are of removing the upper screen. The chap who did the iPad install still has his connected, it's just sat behind the iPad which makes sense if you ever need it. LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #436909 Wed Sep 17 2014 10:39pm
Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

Oane,

I've looked at and tried various options, iPad mini, Tab 7.7 and Nexus 7 2.

Of these I found the Tab 7.7 to be the best, but ultimately I decided against all of them and have gone back to stock, with the plan to install my Xperia Z Ultra phone in a better location.

What I mean by this is that with a tablet installed in lieu of the OEM SatNav you have to 'reach' to operate the touch screen, which I find distracting, and potentially dangerous.

Other downsides of the iPad Mini and Nexus 7 are that you may have to cut into the AC vents to route cables for power and audio if you're not using BT for audio. I know you definitely have to for the Nexus 7, not 100% sure with the iPad Mini.

An advantage of the iPad is that even if the battery drains completely it will switch on once it receives enough power from the charger, something the Android devices don't do unless you root the tablet and change some setting, which I did with the Tab 7.7.

Advantages of Android tablets are that they are infinitely more customisable with different Apps, and these can help automate functions you may require. I use Actions Pro on the Ultra and it makes things much easier.

Also, for me a major consideration was to improve/ compliment the ICE of the Sport all round. So the tablet had to be able to make and receive phone calls via the phone, however, whilst there are Apps for this, I found they don't work that well, Tablet Talk being on of them for Android tablets.

That's why I've decided to go with the Xperia Ultra with a 6.4" screen locating it on the front edge of the dash. This way I don't have to reach to operate it, it's not affected by sunlight, the reduced screen size is offset by being closer, and it provides all the functionality I need in one device.

I'll try and find the pictures of the Tab 7.7 install in the OEM location and upload them to my gallery so you can have a butchers.

Regards

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #436917 Thu Sep 18 2014 6:07am
0ane

hi guy thanks for the detailed reply! very helpful! im going up to a company in sheffield who i use for any audio issues, source sounds. going to have a word with them see what they recommend etc.. only probklem i see with the ipad at the moment is that the screen goes blank after a few minutes to the lock screen, not had a look yet but hoping theres something in the settings menu to get round this! plus the fact you need the home button to reactivate it once its locked.. not thought about that one yet....

Post #436927 Thu Sep 18 2014 9:25am
Guyzer73

Oane,

Check the link Sag gave you. On page 2 is a detailed how to... for the iPad Mini

Sag wrote:
Forgot about this one http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic32419.html

Also regards the time out of the display this can be set to "never" I believe in the settings menu.

Regards

Post #436929 Thu Sep 18 2014 9:44am
darrenmcneill

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

Does the Samsung Tab have a side charging port, so that a charging mount device like below could be used?

I'm thinking about a simplistic install, with the docking station hardwired, transmitting music via Bluetooth. That way mounting and removing the Tablet would be easier, as it wouldn't be permanently fixed into the car.

If not does anyone know of any tablets with side charging mounts? 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)
http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46383.html

Post #445970 Sun Dec 21 2014 9:20am
Guyzer73

Darren,

I'm messing around with this again.

Where are you looking to install the tablet? In place of the SatNav or in front of this like I have with my phone? or in place of the head unit??

The only current tablet i know of in 7-8" format that has a side charging port is the Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact. It has both a magnetic charging point and a side usb. This in theory means you can charge the tablet whilst using the usb port in its OTG functionality to play music. The problem is it won't fit between the vents.... Another option is the old Nexus 7 which had a magnetic charging port on the side, not sure about USB port though.

The problem with many phones and tablets with Android 4.3 and later is that the smart dock functionality has been lost and you can't export music via the USB unless in OTG mode, and that doesn't allow charging in parallel... For that you need to root the tablet and install a special custom 'kernel' not difficult but not all tablets have such a custom kernel available.

I'm going to look at placing the Sony tablet where I currently have my phone, alternatively I'm looking at placing my existing Galaxy Note 8 where the OEM screen is, but, using an old touch screen phone to control the functionality, much like Audi's MMI system with touch pad using Droid Mote Client and Server Apps, but these again require a root for the server app.

Regards

Post #445977 Sun Dec 21 2014 10:32am
darrenmcneill

I was thinking about having the tablet sitting just in front of the nav screen, basically blocking it off. If I need the Nav, which is very rare, id simply unplug the tablet.

I'm not looking for a replacement install, or anything complex, as it would just be used to play music. The current Nav screen just doesn't get used, but I don't want to remove it.

Tbh I should concentrate on finishing my other projects before starting a new one!! I just have ideas stuck in my head.

The mouse sander came this week, so "should" finish the grille and vents I'm making soon.... Then Il move onto the tablet. Just wanted an idea of one that docked on its side, as this would make the project easier 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)

Post #445985 Sun Dec 21 2014 12:50pm
darrenmcneill

A bit of a search on google and I think that I have found a possible solution.

There is a side dock for the Nexus 7:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/google-...e-revealed

Using this, then transmitting the audio via an aux-in A2DP receiver, should enable the use music streaming wire free via the rear aux input? I have zero technical knowledge, so would this set up work? The last question is would the Nexus 7 slot into the existing space in the dash? 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)

Post #445987 Sun Dec 21 2014 1:25pm
Guyzer73

Darren,

This would work Wink

However please note this is for the original nexus 7 not the 2013 version. Also the nexus doesn't have expandable memory so you're limited to what's on board, either 16 or 32gb.

Here's a link to what your talking about doing:

http://jonlove.co.uk/2013/05/03/nexus-7-an...ver-sport/

Note that you have to trim the ac vents a little, but replacements are cheap when it comes to selling and putting back to OEM.

Another option is to get an xperia z ultra and a kidigi docking station. However the advantage with the nexus is that the slots hold it securely compared to the xperia.

Regards

Post #445993 Sun Dec 21 2014 2:30pm
darrenmcneill

That's like what I was thinking, difference being I would still keep the original Sat Nav in the car.

Best finish my current projects, then Il be into that in the new year. Looks like a nice simple install 2006 HSE for Sale - £7,499 (Manchester)

Post #446011 Sun Dec 21 2014 5:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>