RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Deflected from RRS by a Volvo - whatever next?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mickv

Deflected from RRS by a Volvo - whatever next?

Hard hat time. Was seriously looking at a new RRS, but instead I've just placed a deposit on a new XC90 "First Edition". I think it may give the RRS a run for its money. Not in terms of off road ability or indeed overall looks, but that interior and the tech is something to behold. Also, it won't have any gaps.....

http://www.volvocars.com/uk/all-cars/all-n...rstedition

Really fancied the T8 hybrid version but that looks like it won't be out for another 12 months and can't wait that long.
Might live to regret it, but we'll see. Just have to wait until May to find out Sad

Post #435218 Thu Sep 04 2014 1:10pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

See you back on the forum next year then.... Laughing 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #435225 Thu Sep 04 2014 1:50pm
mickv

Yep - distinct possibility and probably about 30k the poorer!

Post #435228 Thu Sep 04 2014 2:30pm
andman

and to think year old RRS's are still making 5% under list..... maybe time to think again..... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #435229 Thu Sep 04 2014 2:47pm
mickv

Halo car syndrome - don't think it will continue. And I expect that we will keep the XC90 for 3 years or more, provided we don't hate it....Time will tell!

Post #435230 Thu Sep 04 2014 2:53pm
mickv

JLR should take a lesson in ergonomics form Volvo though - RR dash is a mish mash of buttons and knobs, as is the touchscreen - was really disappointed with the FFRR I test drove last week from that point of view.

Post #435231 Thu Sep 04 2014 2:55pm
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Mick, I ran a Volvo XC90 for 8 trouble free years, where all I ever did was to get it serviced and change the tyres every few years. An excellent road vehicle, safe, reliable and at the time very good looking. Thumbs Up

Jim

Post #435239 Thu Sep 04 2014 4:29pm
andman

mickv wrote:
JLR should take a lesson in ergonomics form Volvo though - RR dash is a mish mash of buttons and knobs, as is the touchscreen - was really disappointed with the FFRR I test drove last week from that point of view.

Agreed.... although there are less buttons on the L494than the previous RRS .... that just leaves a mish mash ...

While waiting lists are up at 6 to 9 months ... residuals will hold up well...

Drop to 3 and we will get smacked with the whopping depreciation we have all become accustomed to... Big Cry 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's

Post #435248 Thu Sep 04 2014 4:58pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I certainly agree that the new XC90 is better looking than the outgoing version but a 225bhp diesel is simply not enough for me for a car of this size and therefore weight. Still, it looks fresh and well designed and I hope you enjoy it.

The RRS is certainly in the depreciation honeymoon period and you only have to look at the number of older generation cars languishing on dealer forecourts - there were more than 2000 RRS and FFRR the last time I looked - to know that it will not last forever.

Even though fuel prices have been reasonably constant for a few years, the environmental noose is ever tightening and I'm under no illusion that my shiny SVR will be almost impossible to shift in a few years time. But then I've been there before, a 2002 SL55 AMG, £96k then, 25k miles, looks and drives like new. Dealer (reluctant) bid? £13900. I'm keeping it! Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #435735 Tue Sep 09 2014 4:34am
mickv

All good points Mark. The D5 would not have bene my first choice, that's for sure. Early indications were there was to be a choice between the D5 and T6 (supercharged and turbocharged 2l 4 pot with 325bhp) and I would have chosen the latter. It later transpired that the T6 is for US and China markets only, which was a bit frustrating. However, the D5 is more torquey. At 7 odd secs to 100kph it's not a complete slouch and we've got a new s3 saloon for days when we don't need the space.

The T8 twin engine might be on the list for later on, but it looks like it won't be out until 6 months or so after the First Edition and I wasn't prepared to wiat that long. Also, whilst 400 bhp sounds nice I suspect it's only avialble for short bursts before the electric motor bleeds the batteries dry. I htink it's one that I'd need to test drive for a day or two before committng.

The SVR looks a realy animal - should be great fun. Will keep an eye out for you first impressions.

Post #435764 Tue Sep 09 2014 10:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1