RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 22" and 23" Alloys on a 7 Seater
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

PauloAmore

Scotland 
22" and 23" Alloys on a 7 Seater

OK, so we know that larger alloys fit on the cars fitted with boot seats...

By why do LR not recommend anything larger than 21".
- ride / comfort / safety?

I know that the 23" Zeus from Overfinch fit. Just don't know if I should. 2022 P440e AB

Post #434304 Wed Aug 27 2014 1:08pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Irrespective of load ratings, I imagine the ride at the back when running on 22s let alone 23s, would be terrible and certainly not befitting of a Range Rover. 

Post #434321 Wed Aug 27 2014 4:23pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

DaveW has assured us that the specific 22 inch wheel/tyre combination on the SVR is fine because it's been tuned as a total package but my experience of 22 inch wheels on the core car is that ride comfort and road noise are seriously compromised so it was only ever going to be 21s for me. 23 is just a step to far and the wheels will scuff if you so much as look at them. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #434373 Thu Aug 28 2014 6:08am
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Mark, if you're intending to go off road, then the 21" tyre is the better choice anyway

Post #434390 Thu Aug 28 2014 2:32pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Thanks, I daresay we will see comparisons between the two in terms of ride comfort and ultimate performance

Is it the case that you could swap freely between the two so that if I was to use 21 inchers as standard, I could swap to a set of 22s for a trip to Europe where, for example, road surfaces in France are so much better? I suppose a set of 22s and tyres will come in at more than £5000 so it might or might not be an option worth exploring. Mark

Post #434407 Thu Aug 28 2014 6:13pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

philmw wrote:
Irrespective of load ratings, I imagine the ride at the back when running on 22s let alone 23s, would be terrible and certainly not befitting of a Range Rover.

Phil, are you intending to go for 21s or 22s? Mark

Post #434413 Thu Aug 28 2014 6:49pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Mark_N wrote:
Thanks, I daresay we will see comparisons between the two in terms of ride comfort and ultimate performance

Is it the case that you could swap freely between the two so that if I was to use 21 inchers as standard, I could swap to a set of 22s for a trip to Europe where, for example, road surfaces in France are so much better? I suppose a set of 22s and tyres will come in at more than £5000 so it might or might not be an option worth exploring.

Yes you can swap freely between the two sizes as the chassis is signed off dynamically on both tyres. The 22s are a more performance directed tyre and better suited to tarmac use compared to the M&S 21". The 21" M&S tyre has a higher load rating which allows it to cope better with the increased inputs from the chassis, hence these being the only two sizes available on SVR.

To answer the earlier question, while I admire some of the work that Overfinch do, certainly more than some other tuning companies, it's worth mentioning that we engineer tyre and wheel assemblies through a rigorous test regime before signing them off so we can't recommend fitting sizes that aren't designed for the car.

Post #434427 Thu Aug 28 2014 8:02pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Mark_N wrote:
philmw wrote:

Phil, are you intending to go for 21s or 22s?

22s.

But I'm a tart.

(ETA: when I talked of the ride at the back, I was referring to that in the boot if you were in a +2 seat as per the OP, not the rear seats of the SVR.) 

Post #434429 Thu Aug 28 2014 8:29pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Likewise I was referring to all sizes of JLR wheels across our product range, not just SVR.

To be honest, our Dynamics guys pick up on stuff that I can't even begin to imagine and I'm a trained advanced road and track driver. They say stuff in meetings and I just sit and look at them, thinking "whaaaattt???" Rolling with laughter

Post #434432 Thu Aug 28 2014 8:38pm
DaveW

United Kingdom 

Probably worth looking at the thread on wheel spacers and imagining what a load difference the larger wheels might give too.

Post #435349 Fri Sep 05 2014 5:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1