RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Moab, Utah, Trails Experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gwengler

Canada 
Moab, Utah, Trails Experience

A few weeks ago, in April, I took my 2013 RRS HSE for a bit of a drive from Toronto, Ontario, to Utah, California, New Mexico and Arizona. The total was about 11,500 km (7,150 miles). The average speed of the whole trip was 98 km/h (61 mph) and the average fuel consumption was 12 L/100km (23.5 miles/UKgal).

While in Moab, Utah, the Jeep Easter Safari was on. We participated in two trails “Fins & Things” and “Top of the World”. Each tour had about 35 Jeeps (plus us). We were the only totally non-modified vehicle. All the other 70 or so vehicles (perhaps two more non-Jeeps) were more or less highly modified. Big wheels, changed wheel base, changed frame – you get the picture. We had the standard “all season” Contis.

“Fins & Things” went without a hitch. I couldn’t believe what the Range Rover is capable of. You are standing in front of a seemingly vertical rock wall. It simply looks unlikely that you will not a) scrape the front/back bumper or worse, b) slip like hell going up, c) hit the bottom when driving over the top. All I can say is that nothing of this happened. On the really step hills (“Frenchie”) not all Jeeps made it up, we did without any problem. Going down, some Jeeps started sliding down which is dangerous. Using our HDC felt almost like cheating – you just don’t do anything and the Range Rover will just go down without any slips or noise.

“Top of the World” is very spectacular and unique at the top. The drive is really extreme for a stock vehicle with stock tires. Some of the steps were quite a bit more than a foot and placing of rocks was necessary. We hit the bottom a few times which sounded bad but no damage was done (had the Range Rover checked out by my dealer afterwards – all OK). Not sure if I would do that one again, it was quite nerve racking. We had an excellent spotter who stayed around us all the time. Without him it would have been much harder. Here's a video from this year: Yes, unbelievably, we drove that with our stock Range Rover Sport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd9Q_i6F8gE

Some of the spotters at the “worst” spots were really wondering if we could make it at all. In any instance we were told that we did much better than many of the Jeeps. Afterwards we got BIG compliments openly and silently, like “you showed those arrogant Jeepers” and “do you have cameras in front to know how to place the wheels so perfectly?”. The comradery was great and everyone was genuinely happy that we did so well.

Last Monday, we took the (free) off-road driving course at Land Rover Experience in Montebello, Quebec. I actually leaned A LOT. Like: What is the difference between the gravel/snow and the mud ruts programs. I didn’t know that HDC works backwards, too. And many other things. We drove a 2014 Range Rover Sport. I am not fond of the “squished back” looks and the round front and back (like the 2013 best, really); however, the feel inside and the driving experience was just the same as in our 2013. Even though the 2014 is so much lighter, I cannot say that I felt a big difference.

I guess they demonstrate what they believe is the maximum possible. But, let me tell you, it was nothing but benign compared to our experience in Moab!

The long thousands of miles to and from California were a wonderful experience, too. Talk about solid cruising, extremely comfortable seats, cavernous space in the back (the dog really enjoyed that), plenty of power available in all situations (blizzard in Nevada which closed the interstate for 30 or more miles with 50+ cars and trucks in the ditch all the way into Colorado) etc. etc.

Gerd

Post #426424 Fri Jun 06 2014 2:20pm
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

Thumbs Up Sophie Alltoft

Send a paypal payment direct using this link www.paypal.me/duckworthparts

www.duckworthparts.co.uk
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk
Supplier of Genuine Land Rover & Jaguar Parts For All Models

Can also supply OEM & Aftermarket parts

Post #426425 Fri Jun 06 2014 2:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Excellent write-up! Thumbs Up

It's good to see a Sport being used and also good to see it doing so well. It's things like this that make me smile knowingly when people tell me how rubbish my Sport is off road and that it's just a footballer's wife's car etc.... Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #426435 Fri Jun 06 2014 3:43pm
Kklone

United Kingdom 

Fantastic, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up Need....more.....mud, must.....off.....road.

Post #426702 Mon Jun 09 2014 8:05pm
bl74beano

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Atacama Sand

Thumbs Up

Not sure I could have tolerated the jeeps for that long but looks like great fun!!!

Post #433991 Sat Aug 23 2014 5:18am
sparky8181

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Looks great, would love to have a go at this, thanks for sharing Thumbs Up MY07 TDV6 HSE Stornaway & Ivory

Mods So Far: Side steps - Smoked Side Repeaters - OEM Style Signature LED Front Lights - LED Side Lights - LED Interior Lighting - 2012 Autobigraphy Style Front Grill & Side Vents - 2012 Rear LED Lights

Planned Mods: Paint My Brembo's - Colour Code Mirrors - Rear Interior Light Mod - GVIF

Post #434213 Tue Aug 26 2014 12:03pm
Jens0n

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Thumbs Up
Thank you for sharing, looks great fun.. Gone - MY12 SDV6, Orkney Grey, Ivory interior, Privacy Glass

Post #434214 Tue Aug 26 2014 12:52pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

It's amazing what the stock vehicle will do. Thumbs Up Nice road trip BTW, did you do it for any particular reason or just for the hell of it?
I've just got back last night from 2-1/2 weeks on the north eastern area (including Toronto Laughing ) but alas, not in the Disco, but an unwieldy RV, so not much off roading for me! Bodsys Brake Bible
Software Updates Contact me
RRS Timed Heat/Remote kits - Contact me
BAS Engine Re-maps/ EGR Blank EuIII and EuIV
Clock On The Dash/ SNOTM /3Flash / BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes read\ Gearbox Reset
See it HERE

Post #434216 Tue Aug 26 2014 1:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1