RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Dealership Feedback > BUYING A 4X4 FROM SAXTONS4X4 ? A WORD OF ADVICE ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

TST717

Scotland 

I think that to say ALL dealers are the same is highly inaccurate.
Sure, they all need to make a few pounds on their deals, but where you feel their worth , negative or positive is both at the time and the aftercare. In many cases they are merely processing work against warranties but you can feel whether they are prepared to fight for you or not. I bought my RRS from Morrisons in Stirling and was pleased with the purchase , straightforward and no problems. Aftercare has been carried out in Inverness by Macrae & Dick ( main dealer in the Highlands ) and in all honesty their attitude is excellent and although theree wre one or two claims against the warranty this has been sorted out to my satisfaction.
Individuals like James , as everyone knows and recommends are well respected on here, in any dealers of course but its usually down to the individuals to make the difference anyway.

I never had a good feeling about the Saxton dealer anyway , even the Website and ads on Pistonheads looks amateur...
This is a good heads up for anyone who may be looking currently....

TST TDV8 HSE....Gone but not forgotten ....class act
Cayenne S diesel.....850n/m....385bhp....the danglies ...
SL55 AMG

Post #403176 Fri Nov 22 2013 8:19am
lesworth

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I have been on the look out for a replacement for my aging and venerable workhorse of a Discovery II TD5 and went to Saxton as a) they are close to me, b) they have a huge range and b) they have a large new indoor warehouse / showroom where all cars in stock are on display.

I dropped oin without an appointment and was able to view all the cars and this was the ,most useful thing, I was able to make my mind up on an RR sport versus any other type of 4x4.

I duly made an appointment by phone the next day to look at afew in my price range and the right spec. I turned up bang on my time and told the recptionist I would be browsing the cars while waiting for the salesman. I dudnt see him for 40 minutes and had to chase the recptionist twice in that time. When he did turn up he didnt seem that interested, as if he suspected I was just going to waste his time. I asked if I could test drive and was not even offered a chance to drive the car I ewas looking at. I drove a car already conveniently parked out front (2009 TDV8). I was shocked mainly because the car was not safe. Warning were pinging all over the dashboard on the drive and the steering wheel had siginificant wobble at several speeds.

Needless to say I made my excuses and left. My main observation was on customer service - very very poor. Also the presentation of their vehicles. I saw many with bits of trim hanging off and even a pool of oil under one car. Apparently they address all the issues and refurb the wheels once sold but it completely put me off. When I am spending this amount of cash on a car, I dont expect it to be like a brand new one but I do expect at lest some effort to make it look nice.

I ended up buying a car from a smaller dealer last week.

Post #430578 Tue Jul 15 2014 9:54am
Supercharged lad

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Java Black

Hi there every body .......

I haven't had the pleasure of a visit to the saxton site but myself and wife have contacted them on 5 separate occasions about the same car and asked if it was still available only to be greeted by a confused (what car ?) sort of attitude .there answer after a long pause was let me look into it and ring you back , they have never rang us back once .... Hence we purchased our new pride and joy elsewhere and I am so glad after reading some of the stories above I no this doesn't help the others that are having trouble but may save a the rest of us all a big headache cheers guys

Post #430591 Tue Jul 15 2014 11:11am
Timf

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Mmm...went to Saxton in Brentwood several years ago. Not a good experiance. Flat tyres, indifferent interest from the chaps there. Thinking of upgrading my 07 TDV8 so went to the new Chelmsford branch today. Amazing site with plenty of stock and room to move. Really good floor of cars, but... almost all the cars were shabby. Minimal cleaning outside with most being horrible inside, & I mean horrible. They smelt, were grubby & all had kerbed wheels. No details posted on the windows as to spec, mileage etc.. Went to look at a green RRS on Autotrader posted as 10 reg (actually 59) and 51k mileage (actually over 60k). Won't be returning.

Post #432549 Thu Aug 07 2014 11:41am
Andi

United Kingdom 

They don't always show true pictures either. Some time back I enquired about a RRS on their site, the pictures of which looked good with an immaculate detailed car. When I asked if I could come and look they told me the car had just come in and had to be cleaned etc. I never got to find out where the pictures came from, but it wasn't the car for sale! I never bothered again.

Post #432557 Thu Aug 07 2014 12:21pm
Supercharged lad

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Java Black

Hey I think sounds like the very same experience as I had I have now bought a car but one I tried to buy 5 times is still advertized on auto trader Rolling Eyes

Post #432798 Sun Aug 10 2014 7:56pm
Topgeartowers

United Kingdom 

My advice is treat them like a private seller and you'll be fine. They've simply got too much stock washing through the dealership so there is no eye for detail.

Post #432900 Mon Aug 11 2014 6:28pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Supercharged lad wrote:
Hey I think sounds like the very same experience as I had I have now bought a car but one I tried to buy 5 times is still advertized on auto trader Rolling Eyes
When i went to Brentwood last year most of the cars there were Irish imports. None of them looked cared for.I was told choose one and we will valet it for you. I was in the second hand car sales,and we never offeredl a car until it was valeted inside outside and under the bonnet. Some of their cars were awaiting repaires. If we had a car awaiting a repair it was kept out of site until it had been repaired to a very high standard. It would be hard to find any used car that has not had any minor repairs,EG Supermarket scrapes and scratches,and dents. OK Provided they have been repaired to high standard itisme

Post #443057 Wed Nov 19 2014 3:51pm
waylander

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Baltic Blue

resurrecting an old thread here.

As you may be aware I'm selling my RRS (no hurry about it) so I thought I'd give Saxtons a try Rolling with laughter . After-all they actively seek out good condition cars to sell on Whistle ....

Shall we just say that if the buying experience is any like the selling one I'm surprised they're still in business!! Contacted them via their website 2 weeks ago, received an automated response by return (fair enough, seems quite efficient thinks I) and then nothing. I gave them a chaser 4 days ago on the basis that things can get screwed up twixt web-site and staff. Spoke to a pleasant chappie who found my details quite quickly and then promised to get back to me very shortly.... 4 days later not a peep from them.

Now from the one perspective I really don't care - I'm in no rush to sell so no biggie. On the other hand though it really Censored me off when I read people moaning about how difficult business conditions are for local businesses etc etc etc.

Anywho whingette over with Thumbs Up

Post #465100 Fri Jun 19 2015 12:54pm
andywatson

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

On the flip side, We took delivery of our 2010my RRS on N.Y. Eve and very happy Thumbs Up

We looked around the dealership week before Xmas - unhindered, no pressure we decided on the way home we would like to pursuer with the purchase, on contacting the dealership The car had been sold the day we visited, we left our details, requirements and purchase budget, Saxton called the following day (22/12/15) to advise that the prospective buyer had been unable to obtain the finance required.

We were told we could pay a £500 deposit to hold the car until after Xmas, which would be refundable if the test drive or car wasn't what we wanted, we said that we wanted to drive the car and secure a deal before Xmas (it was a present to ourselves) I wasn't available until Xmas eve, Neil the salesman was due to be off but said that if we didn't mind him being casually dressed he would meet us 9.30 on his way to do his Xmas shopping.

The deal was duly done, we had arranged our own finance and the deposit of £500 paid, they hadn't taken it before as we had arranged the test drive before Xmas.

Saxton called the day before collecting and One of the finance guys arranged a better deal on the finance than we had. and a full 3 year warranty at a very good rate as they are in partnership with RAC.

We arranged to collect the car on New Year's Eve, following a few items that needed attending to, all of which were done except one, they are sending someone to us to complete (we need to arrange, small dent on rear wheel arch) there were no mats with the car but they supplied a set before we left as an apology for the repair not being carried out, which due to the festive season wasn't unacceptable.

We had been to the old Brentwood site a few times, the quality of vehicles in stock today is a far cry from back then, we would based on our experience buy again from Saxton 2008 RRS 3.6 HST - Stornaway / Black - Current
2010 RRS 3.0 HSE - Nara Bronze / Almond - Gone
2009 RRS 3.0 SE - Sliver / Teal

Post #484121 Tue Jan 05 2016 8:41pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
C C

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Ipanema Sand

Well I don't have any horror story to add either. Spotted a car we liked the look of on the website. Arranged with them to view it the next Friday afternoon. We liked it and put down deposit. Collected it the following week all valeted and good.
There was no pressure from the salesman to either buy the car of finance. Some paint insurance was offered but again no hard sell.
Only negatives were some inaccurate details on the website regarding wheel size and some trim level but that did not concern us much. Although if big wheels and contrast stitching was a priority it could have been quite a let down.

The handbook that accompanied the vehicle was for a later model and the service book was missing. Saxton's said they would get replacements. Still waiting on that one.

Certainly would use them again when replacement time comes around.

Post #484125 Tue Jan 05 2016 10:08pm
andywatson

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Stornoway Grey

True to their word Saxton arranged for Essex Smart Repairs to come t our house today and carry out the repair.
I am very pleased and will no doubt look to use them when the time comes to upgrade. 2008 RRS 3.6 HST - Stornaway / Black - Current
2010 RRS 3.0 HSE - Nara Bronze / Almond - Gone
2009 RRS 3.0 SE - Sliver / Teal

Post #484363 Sat Jan 09 2016 1:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
C C

Up date. Service book arrived today. Complete with the original main dealer stamps for previous services.

Very happy with Saxton. Would definitely use them again when the time comes. Assuming they have the right car.

Last edited by C C on Sat Jan 09 2016 5:55pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #484371 Sat Jan 09 2016 4:28pm
NigelM

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black

I live 5 miles from Saxton and took delivery of a RRS today....not from them. I visited them twice over the Xmas break. On both occasions they were quiet yet it took prompting from me to get anyone to speak to me. On both occasions a salesmen came out of the office, asked me what I was after, pointed me at the floor full of a couple of hundred RR and said he would be back in 20 minutes. Neither of them had turned up after 40 minutes so I left.

They are also expensive. The formula seems to be to buy high milage cars cheap, bling them with a set of wheels and some window tinting and charge a couple of K over the odds for them. I found much better service and value elsewhere.

Shame not to buy locally, but from my experience they really don't deserve it.

Post #484377 Sat Jan 09 2016 5:41pm
C C

I think that's a little disingenuous. None of the cars they had that we were interested in were high mileage or blinged up. As for prices they were fairly competitive at least compered with local to me dealers in Norfolk and Suffolk.

Post #484380 Sat Jan 09 2016 6:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>