RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Intermittent battery warning light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sby2909

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Intermittent battery warning light

I have a 2007 TDV8 RRS which has covered 80K miles and is on its third alternator.

I bought the car with 44K miles, which I was told by Guy Salmon that a new alternator had just been fitted.
18 month and 20K miles later I had an intermittent battery warning light and subsequently new alternator fitted. Another 18 months and 20K miles later I have the same intermittent battery warning light.

When I start the car from cold, after about three miles on an dual carriage way doing 60-70mph and the engine half warm, the battery warning light comes on, when I turn off the dual carriage way and slow down to a stop at a junction, the battery warning light goes off. When I regain speed to 60-70mph the battery warning light does not come back on.
That is my usual drive to work. If I take an alternative route to work, through town, which involves 30-40mph drive, then the battery warning light does not come on.

I have accessed the diagnostics page via the sat nav screen and the voltage does drop from 14v to 12.5v when the battery warning light is on.

When I had the new alternator fitted, it did clear the problem for about a year, but the problem is becoming progressively more frequent.

The garage will tell me it is a faulty alternator because the computer says so, but I think there must be more to it than that.

Has anyone experienced this before? Could it be a loose wire or faulty voltage regulator? I am quite sure the battery is not at fault.
If it is the alternator, does anyone know what could be the cause of the fault?
I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Post #429496 Sun Jul 06 2014 8:23pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Do you know which brand of alternator was fitted both times?

There have been issues with spurious aftermarket ones

Post #429498 Sun Jul 06 2014 8:42pm
sby2909

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi Disco_Mikey,
thanks for the response.

The alternator that I had fitted was, as far as I am aware, an original part. It was fitted by an independent garage, but was told parts were genuine LR. The receipt shows part number LR010514.

I would also have expected Guy Salmon to have fitted an original part for the earlier alternator, which showed the same symptoms.

Post #429501 Sun Jul 06 2014 8:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1