RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Auto Glass & Direct Line Insurance - Beware!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Auto Glass & Direct Line Insurance - Beware!

So a truck threw up a stone and I ended up with a cracked windscreen. I book Auto Glass via their internet form telling them that the screen is heated and on a RRS2. They then phone and reconfirm everything, including that it is for a RRS2 and that it is heated.

A guy turns up yesterday (a week later) Censored about with the interior trim around the screen and then tells me he has the wrong screen. Tries to leave without putting the trim back properly. Refuses to fix a small chip in Mrs Jim's screen -"You have to book on the phone love", and the f****s off.

Buch of f*****g muppets..........

Jim

Last edited by jim4244 on Wed Jun 11 2014 9:29am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #426722 Tue Jun 10 2014 8:00am
Dickie

United Kingdom 

I've had one screen replacement, a chip repair and now got another *king chip that's propagated into a crack requiring another screen. They all happened in the space of about 4 weeks too! I'd be interested to hear how many other folk have had to replace screens already. It wouldn't be particularly scientific but it does make me wonder if the current screens are more susceptible to being cracked…

I double and triple checked with AutoGlass/AutoWindsceen before they came out that they'd have the correct "Pilkington" glass. I've heard of others who've had issues with the cheaper alternative being fitted to only have to call up again for a replacement when the auto-lights/wipers aren't working. SOLD - 15 plate Estoril SVR

SOLD - 64 plate Aleutian Silver Supercharged

SOLD - 63 plate Corris SDV6 Autobiography

Post #426748 Tue Jun 10 2014 5:04pm
leondrums

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Had a full screen replacement by Autoglass, no problems so far (about 3 weeks ago). Had a chip booked in then the next day another stone hit and it cracked from passenger top left corner to middle within 6/7mins..

They sorted it but did seem to make quite a few calls whilst doing it.. 2017 MY - Dynamic, same again!

2016 MY - Dynamic - same spec again all round, engine a noticeable improvement

2015 HSE Dynamic - same spec as the last plus Meridian, Full Size Spare & InControl Apps

HSE Dynamic 2014:
Ebony / Lunar, Heated Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Red Callipers, Interior Mood Lighting, Ebony Headlining, Panoramic Roof, Electric Towbar, Centre Console Fridge.

Previously: 2011 RRS, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi S5 Cab, RRS, Audi S4 Cab.

Post #426787 Tue Jun 10 2014 10:45pm
jim4244

OK.....so we are now coming up 2 weeks since I contacted Auto Glass to arrange a replacement screen. I have spent this week chasing them after they turned up with the wrong screen and then made no attempt to contact me as to when they would be able to replace it.

Direct Line will only pay for Auto Glass to carry out the replacement. The supplying dealership (Guy Salmon LR, Northampton) can get their glass replacement company to replace the screen tomorrow, but Direct Line will not pay as they are not Auto Glass.......

Have just got off the phone with Direct Line who have told me that if I want them to they will cancel my insurance policy when it comes up for renewal next month. This was after I had told them that I was not a happy bunny.

Customer service at its best eh?

Post #426808 Wed Jun 11 2014 9:35am
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I had same issue with DL. Eventually I got them to agree (since car was under warranty) but I had to pay the difference between their Autoglass cost and the LR Dealership replacement cost. My dealer was sympathetic and gave me a trade price.

As the car was under warranty I argued that they would have to adopt liability for any future issue that a LR dealer might say was caused by a none OE screen.

Post #426832 Wed Jun 11 2014 12:33pm
BlackGT3

United Kingdom 

Personally, I would not trust Autoglass and as a rule, they don't fit OEM glass.

When the windscreen on my GT3 went, I used this chap www.glasstecauto.co.uk and he sourced a new screen from Porsche.

He is highly recommended by PH members who have used him. Current:
2014 RRS HSE - Causeway Grey, Ebony with Ivory seats, Ebony roof lining, Black Piano wood, Panoramic Roof, Heated Exterior Mirrors, Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass, 21" Wheels, Electric Tow Bar, Full Size Spare, Load through & Black Badges. 5 yr service pack
997 GT3
Golf R DSG
Past
2010 Discovery 4 HSE
2006 Discovery 3 HSE

Post #427291 Sun Jun 15 2014 7:47pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Did your insurers pay the full amount? Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #427318 Mon Jun 16 2014 2:59am
jim4244

Yes, that's my problem as Direct Line will only pay £125 unless I use Auto Glass.......

Jim

Post #427337 Mon Jun 16 2014 8:14am
BlackGT3

United Kingdom 

Speak to Paul at Glasstec. He was very helpful and recommended a discussion path with my insurer. I did as he suggested and they paid in full, less the excess. I am with Aviva.

I appreciate other insurers may have different terms but it's worth a try.

Personally, I would always opt for OEM glass on a premium car. Some uninformed people state that non-branded glass is the same and comes from the same factory. There is alot more to the story. This article may be useful

http://www.glasstecpaul.com/windscreen-man...ally-mean/ Current:
2014 RRS HSE - Causeway Grey, Ebony with Ivory seats, Ebony roof lining, Black Piano wood, Panoramic Roof, Heated Exterior Mirrors, Heated Steering Wheel, Privacy Glass, 21" Wheels, Electric Tow Bar, Full Size Spare, Load through & Black Badges. 5 yr service pack
997 GT3
Golf R DSG
Past
2010 Discovery 4 HSE
2006 Discovery 3 HSE

Post #427339 Mon Jun 16 2014 9:02am
jim4244

Have just chased Both a Direct Line and Auto Glass.

Auto Glass have just told me that the screen that they have received today is also the wrong type. They are now having to order a screen from Land Rover, but don't know how long it will take.

Direct Line still will only offer £125 towards the cost of a screen not supplied by Auto Glass. I have pointed out that I have now been waiting for 3 weeks to sort my screen out, that my LR dealership have 2 in stock and that I have 5 cars insured with them. Their response is still "Sorry but there is nothing we can do"

I can't believe the hassle involved in replacing a windscreen and the unhelpful attitude from Direct Line is appalling!

Jim

Post #427352 Mon Jun 16 2014 12:02pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Isn't there someone higher up the ladder you can speak to at Direct Line Question You must be spitting feathers Mr. Green Suppose your car was off the road because of this, would they provide you with a courtesy car Question Wink

Post #427354 Mon Jun 16 2014 12:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1