RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Climate control issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

peanutbob

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
Climate control issue

Not entirely sure what is going on here...but the climate control front and rear is suddenly stopping, with no fan. It occurs sporadically even when the interior is hot and the temp is set to cool the interior, i.e. 16-18 deg C. At first I thought a fuse had blown, but then after meddling around, if one knocks the climate off on the climate settings button it then restarts the climate and commences cooling again. Sometimes it stays on, and sometimes it doesn't! This morning when it was quite warm, I had the car on tickover with the climate on to cool the interior for 10 mins whilst I was washing the car (as dogs were inside) and then discovered it had stalled and the inside was quite hot. On Saturday, it stopped after 20 mins driving and no amount of fan/climate adjustment (hot or cold) would get it to restart until I discovered that restarting the climate got things in order again. Sunday, similar, but then it halted, but then it ran for an hour with no issues at all. This occurs both on auto settings and manual overide. So, something is powering the climate off including the fan, which can only be rectified by going into the climate menu, and restarting climate.

Post #424726 Mon May 19 2014 10:49pm
peanutbob

I would add that having had the car since October, this has not occurred before. But last Thursday I changed the auto fan speed to minimum, and then changed it again to max on Saturday as it was quite warm! There's the coincidence!

Post #424730 Mon May 19 2014 11:35pm
mikef

United Kingdom 

Good luck with getting your local stealer to rectify it. I am experiencing similar issues in my 2011 FFRR and I have put the car in to my stealer for rectification and both times, they have said there is nothing wrong with it. I have had many cars with climate control fitted and I know how its supposed to work but apparently my stealer doesn't. FWIW and in my case, I think it's something to do with the cabin temperature sensor malfunctioning

Post #424874 Wed May 21 2014 2:41pm
peanutbob

Thanks for the info. You may well be right! I think the hotter the cabin is, the more it upsets the sensor. All ok today, but it was a cool morning, and didn't use the car after mid morning. Saturday was 23-25 deg outside and stopped the fan/climate, Sunday 24 deg outside at 1600 hrs and stopped the fan/climate.

Post #424934 Wed May 21 2014 10:24pm
arwV8

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Bonatti Grey

Did you ever resolve the issue. My my16 tdv8 is doing the same. Only when outside temp has been 27C and above so far!
First time it happened after 2 to 3 minutes of driving, it shut down. Pulled over, pressed auto, climate ec but nothing changed the status, so did the Disco3/4 trick, power down car, wait 20 plus seconds, power up. All started working again.
However 6 weeks pass and another very hot spell, it happened again but after less than a minute of driving, and again no amount of fiddling of buttons or modes made it work, so power down. Restarted it worked for a mile and stopped again.
Passengers now not impressed as temp went high and the windows had to be opened. Did a restart but put in manual adjusted fan to medium and left it there as it came back on. Was then ok for rest of trip, but did not mess with any controls.
Will have to take pics next time and get a temp sensor in cabin to show temp.
Unless there is a known issue then taking to the stealer will be a waste of time, as you can't provoke it to fail.
Is there a moderator/or sponsor on the forum who knows the climate system?

Post #560672 Wed Jul 04 2018 1:32pm
arwV8

34 degrees today and it did it again in town after being parked for 30 minutes, its went very quiet, barely 30 seconds after firing her up, fans stopped running and the temp in the cabin rose quickly ..
button pressing didn't change anything, but an ignition off and restart - all working again.... Video'd it this fime.
Going to try talking to someone in the know at a dealer.

Post #560811 Thu Jul 05 2018 7:05pm
syl

United Kingdom 

I thought my air con was broken just the other week as it kept going off the automatic setting. It turns out my daughter was not just changing the temperature in the back (3 zone climate), she was also changing the fan speed - which turns of the automatic fan control in the front as well as the back. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #560829 Thu Jul 05 2018 10:55pm
arwV8

Interesting , had a read up of the climate system and it can allow that to happen. You can lock out the rear controls from the tft display menu so auto stays in the front occupants control.

Post #560832 Thu Jul 05 2018 11:14pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

So child proof locks required on 2019MY 3 or 4 zone climate control to prevent little fingers fiddling with the rear controls? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #560841 Fri Jul 06 2018 8:17am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
arwV8

Update, had several more occurrences so video'd every time it happened there after as evidence. My IID tool did not identify any fault codes. Talked to the service manager at Listers Hereford and he checked with the experienced techs to see if they had seen anything like it . A resounding no! So booked it in and took many videos that showed it occurring. They agreed there was problem and they saw no fault codes either.
However they discovered there is a HVAC software update, so they installed it. Two hot days and 31C+ start-ups and the A/C kept running with no drop outs.
There is some more hot weather due next week so will not say its fixed until multiple very hot day starts have ben achieved. Will update when it appears to be a robust solution.

Post #561703 Fri Jul 20 2018 5:01pm
trafficman13

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Zermatt Silver

Any update mate. Did you sort the problem?

Post #563349 Thu Aug 16 2018 6:52pm
arwV8

Hi Trafficman 13,

Well,the software update seems to have resolved the issue. What I can say about the update, is that the A/C seems to come on more slowly, ramping up the fan speed after a pause at engine on. This is different to before where as soon as the ignition was on the fans were blasting out air. I have a V8 Disco 3 as well ( for 5 years) and it has had no such issues and it ramps up the fans slowly too even when cabin is scorching hot.

The dealer didn't say or give me any details of what the update was except the HVAC s/w was updated. Its still under warranty so should be on the computerised records.

I have also noted that now the weather is cooler the heating side is working and it to adjusts the airflow slowly as the engine warms up and when the engine is hot.

So it looks like the issue has be solved.

If anything changes I will re-post.

Post #563365 Thu Aug 16 2018 9:15pm
trafficman13

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Zermatt Silver

Thanks for the update. I've got an aircon problem that I'm struggling to resolve, so was trying to establish some common de-nominators.
When it's a sunny day outside, My aircon doesn't come on, some days it may come on after 10mins journey time or not at all.
Then other days when its cooler, it will start up from turnover and be ok for the rest of the day.
Can you help?

Post #563368 Thu Aug 16 2018 9:51pm
arwV8

Things to check
The cabin air temp sensor that is located to the left side of the steering column is drawng air in. To test this a 1inch wide piese of tissue when floated over the vents will suck onto it.

Put the aircon into auto mode and have the aircon display up, check you have a default fan speed, i set mine to the middle.
Have you tried a turn off and restart when it doesn't come on, that fixed mine on several occasons but sometime I had to do it twice within am minute as it stopped again.

When it doesnt work, record it on a video on your phone, show what works and what doesn't. And when it starts, record the aircon displays.

The dealer found no fault codes, neither did I, so when the a/c behaved for them, no fault found, as it was cooler. The videos convinced them , i had six in all, basicaly became the same story, different external temps and cabin temps.

If you have rear aircon controls , sync them to the front to prevent litle medlers playing with them!

Post #563408 Fri Aug 17 2018 6:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1