RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Altimeter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red
Altimeter

Has anyone found out if there is a means of calibrating the altimeter function in the Off Road Navigation?

I first noticed the inaccuracy when parked on a beach at what I thought might be + 2ft with the altitude readout saying +200ft – hmm must have been very high water.

A quick look through the Nav manual only mentions the item as part of the display explanation, so no joy there.

I then forgot it until yesterday when we were parked next to a Trig point (legit green lane for those that care about these things) at, according to another GPS toy precisely 1015’ – a height later confirmed on an OS Map by the geeky boy that owns the Magellan, (we call him geeky boy to his face and he likes it, so calm down anybody that’s about to start).

I duly checked the RR Nav to find that in Landrover world we were at 850’. Bang went my theory that the Alt reading only got started at worthwhile elevations.

Now don’t get me wrong here I’m not getting all anal about altimeter functions. I’m not one to do upset by minor malfunctions. However, if there is a calibration fix I would like to know.

Over to you my learned friends. 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #3878 Mon Oct 24 2005 4:09pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I think it's correct. As far as GPS readings arew concerned, you are typically 200M+ above SEA LEVEL in the UK.

I am no GPS wizard but all the time I have had GPS sat nav screens showing me my co-ordintates etc, it's always been that sort of a figure, and if you drive up a hill, you'll see it climb accorindingly.

Don't worry, it's fine I reckon. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3883 Mon Oct 24 2005 4:53pm
Ecosse

United Kingdom 

Unfortunately it is a known defect in the sat nav system used in the D3 & RRS. I have a detailed technical explanation from LR somewhere, but basically the system would have required a 3rd set of calibration/inputs to be able to provide accurate altitude readings! - and guess what the system (which is made by Denso) hasn't been specified with them!! Mine has been checked over by both the factory & Denso's own technical guys and they claim there is no way of fixing it!! Mad

Post #3909 Mon Oct 24 2005 10:31pm
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

RRUK - thanks but with respect if you believe that, you've been listening to too many of the less well informed Landrover dealers who have been slated elsewhere, the ones that fob you off with any old guff that is.

Ecosse - thanks for the response - pretty much what I expected. Wink 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #3911 Mon Oct 24 2005 11:14pm
Biggles

England 

I have noticed this, we were sat on the beach at Blackpool and the altitude was showing 250 feet. Somebody needs to tell my car that its wheels were in the sea. Should have been a below sea level reading Laughing Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3924 Tue Oct 25 2005 9:08am
RRUK

M@verik wrote:
RRUK - thanks but with respect if you believe that, you've been listening to too many of the less well informed Landrover dealers who have been slated elsewhere, the ones that fob you off with any old guff that is.

I wasn't going on anything someone had told me Maverick, merely my own summation from experience. Smile

My only question would be, what does it really matter how high above sea level you are? In normal UK driving when does this really bare relevance in terms of plotting Sat Nav routes etc?

Personally, it doesn't matter to me, never has and never will. The only time altitude has every been on interest is when I am at 35,000 feet in Business Class or ontop of a mountin of snow on a ski holiday! Cool

My observation is that there is a lot of negative comments concerning the Nav system in the D3 and RRS, it may not be bleeding edge but compared to many systems it's fine and capable and does what I need of it.

Let's hear some positives for a change! L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3940 Tue Oct 25 2005 10:12am
MDP

United Kingdom 

what I can't understand is what is the point of equiping the sat nav system with an altimetre that doesnt work? If you are unable to adjust it or it doesnt show correct readings..... its pointless and need'nt be there at all. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #3942 Tue Oct 25 2005 10:23am
Biggles

England 

MDP wrote:
what I can't understand is what is the point of equiping the sat nav system with an altimetre that doesnt work? If you are unable to adjust it or it doesnt show correct readings..... its pointless and need'nt be there at all.

I agree if its fitted it should work correctly. Confused Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3947 Tue Oct 25 2005 11:26am
RRUK

You might be better off packing your trusty sextant ....Cpt J Cook never had any bother with his.... Cool L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3958 Tue Oct 25 2005 1:57pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

RRUK wrote:
You might be better off packing your trusty sextant ....Cpt J Cook never had any bother with his.... Cool

And look what happened to him on February 14, 1779 ..... . Shocked Wink

If only Cook had a reliable and accurate sat nav system to help him find that darn stolen boat .... Wink Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #3996 Wed Oct 26 2005 1:05am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My SE doesn't have the nav system but what interests me is what it tells you if you go offroad and into the wilds, can anybody tell me? I have 2 systems available on my Ipaq PDA with GPS - Navman for point to point with voice directions for on-road use and then I have the Memory Map Navigator Digital Ordnance Survey maps for the entire UK also loaded on an external memory card (3 Gbytes of memory are required for the maps so I have a 4Gb micro drive). The MemMap system can be stablised with the car in the centre of the screen and the map scrolls along as the car moves and also a "track" line is drawn on the OS map, what it cannot do is give you voice directions to your destination, but at least you can read the maps either as a UK road map or an OS map with all the usual detail and see exactly where you are.

With regards to the altimeter function discussed elsewhere, even some of the very sophisticated GPS systems we use on the ship don't have an altitude function, strangely it is often a function available on less sophisticated machines and onboard it is a good as useless as all it tells us is how high above the sea the top of the mast is! On early versions (pre US Dept of Defense allowing 12 channel access) you had to have the height above sealevel function for the accurracy to be good (ie less than 30m). Now with 12 channel uncoded signals available to all (the US Gov reserved them for guiding cruise missiles etc, but us Europeans developed a system to get round that and it was even more accurrate too!) you don't require the altimeter function (unless climbing up mountains!) to get good accuracy - even cheap pocket sized GPS sets will receive 12 channels. Don't expect better than about 10m accuracy though, you need differential GPS for consistantly better accuracy than that and anyway how many of you use your car in zero visiblity and need <1m accuracy. We use the speed function of GPS in port for manouvring rather than for positioning - 95000 tonnes of ship moving at 1mph can do an awful lot of damage so we have super-accurate GPS as a speed log, in addition to using Doppler speed logs.
BTW did you know that commercial aircraft don't use GPS? At the speeds they do GPS isn't accurate enough for them and they use inertial navigation systems instead. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #4237 Sun Oct 30 2005 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1