RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Queen's Award for Export
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mark_N

United Kingdom 
Queen's Award for Export

Somehow, Land Rover have managed to be awarded the Queen's Award for Export. Dig deeper and you'll find the majority of the growth is coming from China, to a lesser extent the US with minimal growth from Europe and a reduction in sales in the UK. Not surprising when the home market is being starved of product.

What we have to hope for is the Chinese will wake up to the poor LR build quality (see the Build Tolerance thread) and take a shine to the Porsche Macan, BMX X5/M6 and all the rest. Only then will LR's complacent and self-satisfied staff be roused from their lethargy to get their act together and start building quality product in sufficient quantity to meet the demands of the home market as well. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #421886 Mon Apr 21 2014 8:41pm
Chrisr1806

England 

You do seem to like complaining about LR, I appreciate you are annoyed about your car. Are you tempted by Porsches offerings? Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #421893 Mon Apr 21 2014 10:39pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I know the Cayenne quite well and know it delivers the kind of sporting drive I look for in the RRS. I just don't like the look of it. The Macan is different and my dealer knows that if they can't supply a 5.0 SCAB by Christmas, I'm off to a Macan turbo.

Porsches are undoubtedly better made than Land Rovers (leaving aside the problems they currently have with the 991 GT3 engine) and I am visiting Porsche Leipzig in two weeks to see the Macan being made and hopefully drive one. Porsche have expanded their green-field site to build 50000 Macans a year. The factory extension opened on time and cars are being delivered when Porsche said they would. That contrasts with the space constrained Solihull site where a new building to increase FFRR/RRS capacity will open at some point but, meanwhile, the engine plant is late, the hybrid is late, the SE is on hold, the 5.0 SC is pulled (apparently) for this year, InControl arrived late and all the rest.

The Porsche Leipzig site has plenty of spare space to allow another plant to be built to ramp up Macan and Cayenne production further and Porsche are considering building the Cayenne entirely in Bratislava to off-load Leipzig - currently, the trimmed body is made in Bratislava and shipped to Leipzig for final assembly to qualify for a Made in Germany badge but Porsche discovered most punters don't care if the car has a Audi-built diesel engine and they don't care that much whether it's made in Germany or not.

That's not to say getting a Porsche is easy. Every manufacturer of premium quality cars is focussing on China because the demand is inexhaustable and Porsche are no different from LR. Lead times for some models of Cayenne are long and well over a year for a Macan - this for a car which has barely started shipping. I'm afraid Chinese demand for premium cars is strangling supply for Europe.

As for me being critical of Land Rover, yes I am because I don't think their performance justifies £160000 of my gross income to buy one of their cars, not that I can get one anyway. I'm off for the summer soon anyway and will give this site a rest (hurrah I hear you say) knowing that things will be much the same when I return. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #421897 Mon Apr 21 2014 11:52pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Mark - you're not related to Muddywheels on here are you Question Shocked Whistle ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #421903 Tue Apr 22 2014 6:16am
SPX

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HST Java Black
Re: Queen's Award for Export

Mark_N wrote:
Only then will LR's complacent and self-satisfied staff be roused from their lethargy to get their act together and start building quality product in sufficient quantity to meet the demands of the home market as well.

I'm really proud that Land Rover are going from strength-to-strength with their exports, it means that British manufacturing/engineering is on the up.

But how you've managed to spin good news round into a personal gripe is a very bizarre skill you've got, there is no vehicle manufacturer on this planet that has a 'perfect' car that has no faults through its life whatsoever, not even ze Germans.

The RRS2 is a new model and as anyone that knows even vaguely anything about vehicles will tell you; there are always teething problems, it's always best to wait a year or two if you're OCD about any little problems that a new model has.

Post #421909 Tue Apr 22 2014 7:50am
AK-Hammer

United Kingdom 

Quote:

I'm really proud that Land Rover are going from strength-to-strength with their exports, it means that British manufacturing/engineering is on the up.

Same sentiments here. Thumbs Up

Post #422124 Thu Apr 24 2014 9:42am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Mark_N wrote:

What we have to hope for is the Chinese will wake up to the poor LR build quality

The chinese will think that L/R build quality is top drawer Laughing Have you seen the quality of the Censored that comes out of china Whistle

@ Beancounter, i was just wondering the same.... Laughing

Take a chill pill Mark and move on, lifes too short. Wink

Post #422129 Thu Apr 24 2014 9:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

well said, it's not like there aren't any alternatives to choose from (and certainly better alternatives than the boring macan Whistle ) Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #422138 Thu Apr 24 2014 12:07pm
mse

United Kingdom 

AK-Hammer wrote:
Quote:

Same sentiments here. Thumbs Up

Me too

I do find this hilarious - every post on here seems to be a moan about something JLR are doing and yet you still want one...more funny would be to say people are still getting SC versions in the UK - maybe your dealer hates you? maybe you are doing it to yourself by chasing the unobtainable car...the perfect one with all the things you will ever want Whistle Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #422233 Fri Apr 25 2014 8:22am
somchie

Sweden 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Hmmm...

I don't really think JLR is worse than any other manufacturer, for example I've had two Lexus corroded within 8 months.

My AMGs have had issues with several things, from electrical to gaps between door and chassie.

My Toyota iQ was recalled at least twice a year during three years, all were pretty serious safety recalls.

I think you guys should be proud of what JLR have accomplished!

I like Porsche, but I will never own one because I find them boring in a German way. And to me, it's an old man's car. I love seeing them but I can't really see myself having one. I'm 38 years old, and yes I do have a German car too (MB 350 GLK -13)

It just seems that certain cars are badly built and with often several problems. Other cars are faultless. It's all about not getting that badly built car! Smile

Oh, btw... Does it really matter where JLR sells their cars as long as it creates job opportunities in the UK? Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic -14
Defender 110 SW LXV -14
Range Rover 5.0 Supercharged -10

Post #423181 Sat May 03 2014 7:54pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

My brother drives a BMW 5 Series. Recently he was moaning about brake pad wear sensor not throwing a warning, pads wearing down to metal and damaging the discs which then had to be replaced too. Unnecessary expense and not to mention safety risk.

He also mentioned how his local BMW dealer quoted him £800+ for a headlight which he was able to buy for around £350 from another BMW dealer.

Safe to say problems also exist with marques considered to be far more reliable than LR and with their dealers too.

Post #423183 Sat May 03 2014 9:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The "German cars are better built and more reliable" myth is a result of years of marketing. Most notably VW's use of "if only everything in life was as reliable as a Golf/VW". When I bought a Mk4 Golf GTi PD everyone said "ah Golf, most reliable car there is" etc. Well, it had plenty of work done under warranty and then need a new gearbox at 66k miles (just out of warranty)! And it suffered from suspension knocks just like our RRSs do.

Having said that, our (VAG) Skoda Octavia estate has proved to be pretty good with no real problems that I can remember. A Suzuki Swift Sport I drove for 3 years as a company car never missed a beat and was driven as a hot hatch should be. Also the most comfortable driver's seat I've ever used (must have just suited me perfectly for some reason). Both get sneered at by many for having the wrong badge or country of origin.

I see that the 2013 JD Power survey puts LR above VW, BMW and Audi and just behind MB.
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/full-results/1206903 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #423188 Sun May 04 2014 7:50am
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Congratulations to LR....

Great British product.... with a few quirks no different to any other manufacturer....

The only brand(Marque) i´ve been loyal to for 30 years.. and i´ve owned an awful lot of cars... 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #423200 Sun May 04 2014 11:22am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Beancounter_74 wrote:
Mark - you're not related to Muddywheels on here are you Question Shocked Whistle

Ady 555 wrote:
@ Beancounter, i was just wondering the same.... Laughing

Why would you say that Shocked

I too congratulate JLR on their success - I am proud that my last 14 years purchases and the Censored taking I have endured from others helped support them through the lean years so they can now charge double for pimped/pumped estate cars with the off road heritage created by Series/Defenders, Discoverys and Range Rovers Whistle

If my current B.Ed doesn't let me down like the last one and I can still afford one I will buy another LR next time or might look for a nice Defender and buy something cheaper/more reliable for daily use Wink Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #423204 Sun May 04 2014 12:50pm
robot

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

We'll done JLR , 1 it's all contributing to the economy and creating employment , the other it should help with our re sales Rob ps even tho my delivery keeps getting put back , the apparent shortage is also helping to keep my 2013 BE strong ( according to my dealer ) so win win all round

Post #423303 Mon May 05 2014 8:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1