Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > First thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

sammyf

England 
First thoughts

Picked up my HSE at the weekend. Corris grey

Very pleased with it. Went for pano roof, grand black, load through, meridian, metal pedals, heated steering wheel, the new Park assist with exit control and privacy glass plus a few other bits and bobs. Ordered early September so it was a long wait.

First thoughts generally very positive. Everyone knows the ride and interior are great so will not spend too long on them other than to say I was pleasantly surprised at its turn of pace, probably easier to get done for speeding in than my previous 911s as it is just so smooth and zips along from 40-80+.

I went for the ivory, ivory, ebony interior, photo below, with a pano roof this is a really bright interior and I am very pleased. Pano sun roof definitely worth the wait, I reckon it could feel quite low roofed without that.

Living in London the park assist is vital if like me you are used to smaller cars, though it does seem to leave you an inch or two from the curb each time. The new parking exit and 360 surround feature is really helpful too - if a little temperamental as to when it comes on (could just be me getting used to it).

The thing I was most worried about, reading reviews etc was the infotainment system. It really is not that bad, a little slow to respond to, especially with all of us used to ipads, but certainly a lot quicker and more functional that my Porsche ones. Early impressions of voice control are good too - this will be useful to avoid long finger pressing sessions when driving.

Meridien is good enough though not spectacular, cannot imagine what the standard sound system would be like. Has anyone else found it sounds better in pro dolby rather than Meridien trifield setting?

Interior is beautiful and dangerously comfortable - it is a pity there are not a few more drawers and storage compartments though - would imagine the center console cup holders will always be used to stash keys, wallets and sunglasses etc which is a bit messy.

Finally having the central arm rest down in the back is essential for rear viewing - the integrated headrest hammers visibility otherwise

Thanks to everyone for their help on here, hope you all enjoy yours as much as I will mine 2010 997 Carrera S
2007 997 Carrera S

Post #420566 Mon Apr 07 2014 12:31pm
AK-Hammer

United Kingdom 

Nice interiror Thumbs Up . Would be nice to see what it looks from the outside!

Let me know how you get on with the parking aids. Have resisted specifying that stuff as one's first impression is that they might be superfluous, but if it helps greatly might go for them, especially for the missus who loves kerbing alloys!! Sad

Post #420572 Mon Apr 07 2014 1:13pm
Chrisr1806

England 

Looks nice! Thumbs Up I've been enjoying mine immensely over the last month and have just passed 1000 miles.

Look out for the seats bulging, the front passenger one has begun to bulge already! Sad Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #420573 Mon Apr 07 2014 1:25pm
Tom1s

Scotland 

Great to hear your thoughts, I finally pick mine up Wed. or Thursday this week and almost identical spec!

Im more worried about driving it home from central London being unfamiliar with such a big different car. Must say though very excited and having ordered around the same time as yourself Im glad to hear you feel its worth the wait. I have one last decision to make and that wether to have a tracker fitted or not.

Well I really hope you enjoy the car and look forward to seeing more pictures soon.

Regards Tom1s

Post #420578 Mon Apr 07 2014 3:43pm
sammyf

England 

Outside photo as requested

Outside of London I can't imagine park assist is worth having

I parallel park the whole time living with on street parking and it have used it every time so far.
The new park 360 (I think it is only available MY14.5 with the £900 new park assist feature) is particularly useful as it shows the car on the dashboard with little bars all the way round which flash when in range of objects.

Seat bulging sounds interesting! 2010 997 Carrera S
2007 997 Carrera S

Post #420603 Mon Apr 07 2014 7:07pm
The Red One

United Kingdom 

Hi, I am collecting my corris grey RRS HSE on Saturday. Mine has the same interior, but 21" HSE Dynamic wheels. I didn't go for the pano roof as I only ordered it in Feb as my local dealer got allocated another car for April, but no pano roof option.
What other options did you go for?
Seeing yours makes me wish it was Saturday tomorrow.
Great looking car Thumbs Up

Post #420630 Mon Apr 07 2014 10:05pm
hornbaek

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Bonatti Grey

I have had my 5.0 SC for 7000 miles now and i have never used the Park Assist function. It is the same with all the camera surround stuff. The picture is distorted so before you figure out what is what you have hit something. Park distance control and a rear view camera would suffice on my next car.
The panoramic roof is a must have and contrary to a lot of people on here i quite like the auto high beam assist. The Meridian Audio is fine and I'm ok with the infotainment system (which feels proper "new age" if you are used to Astons).

The most important option is the 5.0L SC engine - what a beast. I don't do an enormous amount of mileage so mileage is not a mayor concern and going on the Autobahn is proper fun.

Post #420651 Tue Apr 08 2014 7:55am
sammyf

England 

Hi Red One
Think I listed the options in my first email on the thread.
Be interested to hear what you think of the 21s, suspect they would look a little better but having had years of harsh, loud rides from 911s I was keen for a change. Have also heard about humming on the bigger tyres.
I hope you will be as pleased with the interior and corris grey as me - I think they work really well and without the pano roof should keep it nice and bright inside 2010 997 Carrera S
2007 997 Carrera S

Post #420668 Tue Apr 08 2014 10:53am
AA4X4

United Kingdom 

Looks great - not too blingy. Looks understated in the grey. In the outgoing model IMO black is the only colour that works; but think the grey looks very nice in the RRS2 - probably my choice. 2001 Black Porsche 911 turbo
2010 Black BMW 325d Coupe
2006 Shogun (wifeys car)
2013 Honda Fireblade 1000RR Superbike

Post #420672 Tue Apr 08 2014 11:46am
AK-Hammer

United Kingdom 

Car looks great in that colour - thanks for posting a picture! Thumbs Up

Interesting comment made about the seat bulging by Chrisr1806 - what is that about? Surely seats are not supposed to bulge after a 1000 miles?

Post #420674 Tue Apr 08 2014 12:34pm
Chrisr1806

England 

No they're not, but there has been similar problems with the Evoque. Weirdly it's the passenger seat which has bulged slightly, I noticed it when I first collected the car but it has bulged more over 1000 miles. It's not very noticeable but I know it's there and it's annoying. I will mention it to my dealer when it goes in to have the rear windscreen replaced.

You can see it in this picture when the car was new;

Sorry for hijacking your thread Sammyf, enjoy your car, it looks lovely. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #420678 Tue Apr 08 2014 1:23pm
andman

Andorra 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Seat bulging...... what´s that all about... where exactly are they bulging..... I assume on the base at the sides ??

Glad to hear the infotainment wasn´t too bad....

I rented an Opel insignia in Germany yesterday..... the infotainment system on that was spectacular....made my just sold MY12 infoTainment seem like it was created in the stone age !!! 2014.5 SDV6 AB Dynamic ... Fuji /Santorini Pan roof and 22's
2013 Porsche Boxster S 3.4
2014 Audi A3 S line Quattro
---------------------------------

Post #420794 Wed Apr 09 2014 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1