RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Speed limit adjustable depending on sign recognition?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Sidney11

Germany 
Speed limit adjustable depending on sign recognition?

Hi!

Ordered middle October ... initially May/June delivery ... now earlier delivery end of February.

Maybe someone with a 14.5 MY (including sign recognition) can answer my question:

Is it possible to set a speed limit ( say 15 mph ) above the recognized traffic sign speed limits?
This would be a helpful thing .....

Thx and best regards
Gregor ---------------------------------
RRS SDV6 SE 14MY * Porsche 991 4S

Post #412834 Thu Feb 06 2014 1:17pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Don't think you can. You can set the speed alert so it flashes red, but not set the cruise.

"The Traffic sign recognition system can be switched on and off through the Driving Features menu in the Instrument panel. The Driving Features menu can also be used to change the Traffic sign recognition Speed Alert settings.
If a speed limit is exceeded, a red border will flash around the traffic sign display in the Instrument panel." 

Post #412928 Thu Feb 06 2014 11:38pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I do wonder how accurate it is and therefore how much you can rely on it. A forward facing camera which spots road signs. So what happens when it's dark, foggy, the sign has been stolen or vandalised, is obscured by the lorry in front and all the rest? Does it also spot the smaller repeater signs in case it's missed the bigger signs? We also have the rule in the UK that if there are no repeater speed limit signs but there are street lamps, it's 30mph, so how does it deal with that?

I assume there's a disclaimer in the manual and you're not going to get off doing 60 in a 30 limit by claiming the software engineer at Land Rover was asleep on the job.

My TomTom uses a GPS based map to indicate the speed limit and relies on that map being accurate and updated frequently and I think that is a much better solution. Of course, any such LR maps would be frozen in time until you pay a fortune for an upgrade. The TomTom also includes speed cameras and average speed monitoring in places like Italy and my Road Angel also tells me about camera van locations including known live ones because it updates in real time providing someone else has spotted it and pressed the button.

It's an obvious application for InControl though whether they would ever do it, I do not know. I don't know of any car manufacturer which had speed camera location built in, you can imagine the press furore if Land Rover started doing it. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #412934 Fri Feb 07 2014 6:16am
philmw

It's a technology borrowed from Ford - this from 2011  

Post #412937 Fri Feb 07 2014 8:20am
Sidney11

Germany 

Hi Phil!

Thx ... but I donīt understand it .....

Is the red light flashing exactly at the recognized speed limit ... or is it possible to set an additional speed of maybe 10 mph.

If itīs flashing exactly at the speed limit it will flash too often and youīll become adjusted to the flashing.

But if you could set a 10 or 15 mph additionally ... that would be a great help ... even if the car doesnīt become slower automatically .... but the flashing would be more apparent.

My English is limited .... sorry for bad explaining.

Best
Gregor ---------------------------------
RRS SDV6 SE 14MY * Porsche 991 4S

Post #412942 Fri Feb 07 2014 8:58am
philmw

Hi Gregor,

I don't know as I am yet to get my car, only what I've read. As a driver such a function would be good, although I imagine there would be resistance by some to having such a facility.

Best wishes

Phil 

Post #412950 Fri Feb 07 2014 9:48am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1