RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Finance & Insurance > OK, here's my experience
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
OK, here's my experience

My previous car (BMW M5) was group 20 insurance car, and when I first insured it, I was under 30 years old, in fact I was 28, therefore premiums were pretty high.

My car is garaged, I live in a pretty low risk area post code-wise, but I have 6 points (speeding, what else Wink ) and 1 claim against me, but 7 years No Claims Discount.

My previous year's insurance with Tesco was £1400, that was also with the wife (older, wiser, same points, no claims, better looking).

I did some ringing around (via the web of course) to find cheaper quotes and me and the wife decided to only have insurance for ourselves without each other as named drivers, as she only drove my car about 3 times in a year and me likewise vice versa.

My insurance for the RRS is with Sainsburys, I still have 6 points, 1 claim and 7 yrs NCD, fully comprehensive cover with voluntary excess at £350 my premium comes to about £750. A massive reduction on last years, so in the end, the extra fuel balances out.. Laughing (I can keep telling myself that ... Shocked )OH, and I am now 30 years old. Sainsburys also insisted on a tracking device in the end, of which they sent me a list of the ones I had a choice from (RAC Trackstarplus or Keygaurd, Tracker Horizon or Echo, Navtrack ADR)

Tesco wanted the same again for this car, £1400 by the way. Ridiculous, Landrover's own insurance was £1700!

This is the first time since I was 17 and had my first car (A Landrover Series 3) that my insurance has almost come down to where I started (£680 for my first year's insurance) but I guess, each time, I upgraded the car and it just got crazy Surprised L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Last edited by RRUK on Wed Oct 26 2005 10:23am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #3988 Tue Oct 25 2005 9:57pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

For those who may be shopping around for insurance, try www.morethan.com as they seem to be the cheapest at the moment for 4x4s. They also don't insist on a tracker (like Tesco do). Our insurance with them is £375 for my myself & wife (both aged 36) with no points or claims.
I've also got quotes for others in the family and again MoreThan are currently coming out tops for 4x4 drivers. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #3994 Wed Oct 26 2005 12:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

It's been mooted in various places that Sainsbury's are offering low premiums this year to build a sizeable customer base only to increase them to more normal levels next year. I think I'm right in saying that Sainsbury's Bank have only this year provided an insurance product line.

Myself, I'm with Liverpool Victoria - 34 years old, supposedly safe postcode, 3 points, 8 yrs NCB (protected) for £520. They don't require any extra security devices over and above factory-fit alarms & immobilisers and what's more their claims process works really well (which I found out about after some drunken tit decided he/she would jump up and down on the bonnet of my M3). In fact, the RRS is the second car I've had since then and it's never been worth my while to move to another company.

Circumstances are different for every driver obviously, but they've worked well for me! Very Happy

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #4034 Wed Oct 26 2005 4:25pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Im 23, 6-7 NCB Discount.
Low Risk Post Code,
Was £750ish for my old 325ci Cab with Direct Line.
Now on my RRS is £620 per annum.
Insisted on tracker, which i later found out was because DL own the tracker network, so they have vested interest.
Good job mine came with one, even though i did have loads of hassle getting the tracker certificate to them! ended up dropping it into DL office by hand, after 4/5 failed fax transmissions!

Post #4066 Thu Oct 27 2005 1:00am
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Go to Ford Insurance through their web page. Being LR's daddy they have started pushing insurance. I got a 'good' deal on my XKR.

Ins Grp 20
33 yrs old
3 points
2 yrs NCB
1 write off in last 5 years (whoops Embarassed )
Went from £1700 with my last renewal down to £800 with Ford aka NU.

G 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #4078 Thu Oct 27 2005 10:33am
MDP

United Kingdom 

mpwox11 wrote:
For those who may be shopping around for insurance, try www.morethan.com as they seem to be the cheapest at the moment for 4x4s. They also don't insist on a tracker (like Tesco do). Our insurance with them is £375 for my myself & wife (both aged 36) with no points or claims.
I've also got quotes for others in the family and again MoreThan are currently coming out tops for 4x4 drivers.

Thats ok but no good for us Supercharged guys as they will not insure any vehicle with a value morethan £50k Evil or Very Mad

Personally I used to use a broker, but over the last few years have been content with sorting myself saving on fees & chose Direct Line . However I am due for renewal in Nov and was not happy with their quote so have been looking elsewhere. This has now been sorted and to my amazement I have just renewed with Nat West Insurance. This came about as I have banked with them for a Zillion years & the type of account I have inc mortgage & buildings/contents ins etc. Meant I was able to secure many discounts.

So..........

Me & my wife aged 42 & 39
NO POINTS or convictions
Full NCD
Safe postcode
I have voluntarily taken a huge excess of £850.they will go up to a £1000 .. ( isnt wirth claiming for less & you really insure to cover 3rd party & in case of the big one Crying or Very sad )
Also need to fit a Tracker ( already done - they happy )
so.... just have to send them proof of fitting & my renewal notice from Direct line to prove full NCD.

Job Done Very Happy

Total cost was £477 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #4095 Thu Oct 27 2005 2:43pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

And what does this save you against your DL renewal?

I don't know if I'm missing something here, but given the fact you've spent money on the Tracker installation, your insurance "status" is above average and the fact you're willing to pay an £850 excess - surely you should be paying less than that?

As per my earlier post to this thread, I'm younger than you (and therefore supposedly more of a risk), I have 3 points and only pay a £250 excess for £520...

Maybe what you're paying is absolute rockbottom price - maybe the cost of the risk to the insurer cannot be equated to anything lower than that. I know the way in which insurance costs are calculated is stupidly complicated...

OK, so I just re-read that and it sounds a little antagonistic - apologies, MDP, I don't mean it to sound like I'm having a go at your choice Embarassed. I'm just interested to know how our figures are only £50 apart yet you seem to have had to take a much greater impact on board.

Cheers
Steve 

Post #4097 Thu Oct 27 2005 3:09pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Shmoogle/steve

The main difference is they are insuring a 4.2 supercharged which carries a higher group rating coupled with a higher value.

So you can see I feel it is agood deal esp. compared to the £540 I would have had to pay to renew with Direct Line!

I personally think unless I take the option of £1000 excess - then this figure is going to be hard for me to get any lower. 

Post #4101 Thu Oct 27 2005 3:30pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Now, you see... that's a good enough explanation for me!! Embarassed

Oh dear, hard week.... Laughing 

Post #4103 Thu Oct 27 2005 3:50pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Steve its interesting though , to see whats out there ???? Because to me INSURANCE is a dirty word. Wink 

Post #4106 Thu Oct 27 2005 3:55pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Apologies in advance if anyone here works in the Insurance industry, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom out how they come to the figures they do, it's a scurrilous, underhand and deceiptful conjob, I am certain of it!

Their quotes change with the wind, it's absurd. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4114 Thu Oct 27 2005 4:26pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

I do agree, RRUK - and no insurer can explain how they come about their prices. I wonder if there is a worthy explanation somewhere of how it's all worked out? Google, anyone? 

Post #4117 Thu Oct 27 2005 4:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1