RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Can you wax a car treated with SuperGuard?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Can you wax a car treated with SuperGuard?

When I ordered my car the dealer treated it with SuperGuard free of charge.

Now this is the first car that I have ever had with the treatment and I am told that it does the job of wax but lasts for years rather than weeks/months. I personally don't think that the body work feels as smooth as when wax is applied, so my question is can I apply a good quality wax on top of the SuperGuard or will that Censored it up?

Jim

Post #410613 Wed Jan 22 2014 8:11am
Beancounter_74

England 

Short answer.......yes you can........BUT....

In all honesty Jim the Supaguard is only as good as the person that applied it. Applied properly, Supaguard can be 'ok', but generally dealers don't give the guys enough time, so it's rushed when applied and not really worth anything.
Personally, I'd get yourself a decent 'All in One' type product, such as Auto Finesse Tripple, or Zaino and then apply a wax over the top if you feel like it, but on their own they will both leave a nice finish with some protection. Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #410616 Wed Jan 22 2014 8:39am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

I'd give the car a really good polish to get rid of the Superguard and then start again.

As Beany says it's only as good as the person who puts it on and even then I'm not convinced it's any good. Ive been sat in LR dealers waiting to collect my car and watching them apply it. It was slapped it on and wiped off straight away - might have well as not bothered at all.

Whip it off and get some decent protection on there that can be looked after properly. Thumbs Up FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #410635 Wed Jan 22 2014 10:46am
mse

United Kingdom 

I have lifeshine and/or supaguard on each new car and I am a fan. Paying the right price for it, its actually not a bad product and noting its limits (or your expectations)

The difference for me, is that supaguard say apply and forget and lifeshine encourage you to add polish (gloss protection) to it from their range (and supply you with it). My personal preference is lifeshine and my new one will be having it on Friday!

Polish/Wax wise. I understand you need to be careful. There are a number of waxes you shouldn't apply, my valeter did tell me a while ago, but I think its something like anyone with a cutting compound you need to avoid.

On supaguard I can state that the autoglym resin polish and gloss protection work fine and really enhance it - last 2 cars across 2 years using those with no issues.

You (or the previous owner) paid money to have it applied and I wouldn't both removing it, no point - it doesn't hurt the car!Adding a normal polish will "fix" any weaker areas. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #410636 Wed Jan 22 2014 10:54am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

I have tried several of these coatings over the years on new cars and the only one I have found which is any good is G3-Glasscoat. http://www.g-3glasscoat.com/

It really produces a glassy finish and sheds water and dirt. It is a one off professional application and does not need subsequent polishing.

Does it last the guarantee period of 5 years? I don't know as I have not had the car long enough to tell. Regards

Malcolm

Post #410677 Wed Jan 22 2014 3:16pm
leondrums

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I had nothing applied at the dealer, the day after I received my car my valeter applied this;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/wol..._1083.html

along with this for the windows;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wolf-39-s-ch...d_907.html

It's been absolutely superb over 2000 miles so far and I've not re-applied as yet. Looks slightly glossy and water repells amazingly. I've gone as far as to use Wolf's Nano Shampoo every wash and Nano Quick Detailer now and then. I have a new bottle of Hard Body which I'll be applying March time...

I've used many different variations of products across many different cars and so far this is the best (for me). I hear G-Techniq do very similar stuff. 2017 MY - Dynamic, same again!

2016 MY - Dynamic - same spec again all round, engine a noticeable improvement

2015 HSE Dynamic - same spec as the last plus Meridian, Full Size Spare & InControl Apps

HSE Dynamic 2014:
Ebony / Lunar, Heated Mirrors, Privacy Glass, Heated Steering Wheel, Red Callipers, Interior Mood Lighting, Ebony Headlining, Panoramic Roof, Electric Towbar, Centre Console Fridge.

Previously: 2011 RRS, Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Audi S5 Cab, RRS, Audi S4 Cab.

Post #410691 Wed Jan 22 2014 4:38pm
Alan61

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I have had this debate several times with supplying dealers. I have had new cars with and without and to be honest I can't tell the difference, but then again I do look after the paintwork through regular polishing and sealing etc.

My only experience is with Supaguard and I view the product more as insurance against staining of the leather interior ( remember that you are paying for more than just the paint protection) and damage to the paintwork by bird droppings etc. if you pay for the product and have either of these, as far as I am led to believe by the dealer Supaguard will 'fix the damage' so it is more of an insurance policy than a paint everlasting shine IMHO Thumbs Up MY 2014 HSE Dynamic
MY 2012 RRS HSE
2009 Audi A6 Avant- superb quality but boring never missed
2007 Q7 -loved it but not a patch on RRS
Various BMW's, Audis
199 TD5 Disco XS, great car big improvement on previous Disco
1981 Fiat Mirafiori Sport 2000 TC - Bright Orange and Black, great Car when new but soon deteriorated, those were the days

Post #410693 Wed Jan 22 2014 4:48pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Lifeshines warranty is also very good like that - they reapplied the covering when I had a new roof on a car.

Neither are bad - but they are when you think of the dealer charge (or attempted charge as I don't every pay anywhere near that figure). Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #410696 Wed Jan 22 2014 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1