RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Deep Wading through Welney Wash Road January 2014
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

They include surfaces that have road salt applied. So we're looking at dry summer tarmac in perfect condition then! Rolling with laughter

Got to love LR's "get out of jail" weasel wording... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #409508 Tue Jan 14 2014 5:59pm
mse

United Kingdom 

I wonder what my new wade sensors would have been saying during that!!

Glad you didn't have to stop though - it gets bad fast then without a snorkel etc etc...the moment keeps water away from so much

Good effort though and you made it, so no harm done to you Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #409519 Tue Jan 14 2014 7:10pm
bengunkel

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I know the road very well as I pass through it un-flooded several times a month so that gave me a degree of confidence but I have a very addictive personality and must be very very careful that I don't do anything stupid like try it again....

These are beautiful cars and I have a new love for her since taking her into a bog, over a moor and through a flood.

Its hard to justify the cost of a car like this until you take it to the limit I think! Very Happy

MSE - Stopping was my biggest worry, well, second to being carried away toward the sea in the current!

Post #409538 Tue Jan 14 2014 9:08pm
RRSNUT

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Nutter! Bow down

I love it, that looked like great fun! It's worth pushing it to the limit......when you get away with it! Thumbs Up

Legend Bow down North Wales Land Rover Club Member
RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE. MY06. JAVA BLACK. FULL BLACK NAPPA

- CLEAR SIDE REPEATERS - SIDE STEPS - PARROT BLUE TOOTH PHONE - GENERAL GRABBER AT's - EGR VALVES REMOVED

Post #409555 Tue Jan 14 2014 9:59pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Quote:
MSE - Stopping was my biggest worry, well, second to being carried away toward the sea in the current!

I had to drive down a main road in the 07 floods in my water prepped disco, in the dark, water over the bonnet (no headlights, as they were under water!) and the number of floating cars and tractors towing lorries - I had to stop loads.

Other than taking some time to clear the exhaust out it was OK - I would have hated to not have snorkel and raised breathers etc etc. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #409556 Tue Jan 14 2014 10:04pm
dobbo9

Re: Deep Wading through Welney Wash Road January 2014

bengunkel wrote:
So, having carefully considered my own safety, the potential loss of a less than 1 year old Autobiography and the potential to cause a mass rescue mission, I plunged deep into Welney Wash.

I think I did OK and the car came out happy albeit reeds all over the grille - Inspected this morning by my dealer and all OK.

Have a look and please feel free to advise on how/what i can do better next time....

2ft at entry and 2ft 6in at the far end. I panicked and stopped filming (well the person holding my phone did!!!! Wink ) for a few minutes but most of the journey is there.

I'm a novice.

What you should do next time is get a grip and stop being an idiot. Why on earth you would risk your own safety and car is beyond me. What's more, is that, should you have got into difficulty, you would have needed the attention of the emergency services to rescue you, and while they were doing that someone else who genuinely needed their help could have lost their life. You are an idiot. Please have some basic common sense next time and don't risk the lives of others for your own pleasure.

Post #409680 Wed Jan 15 2014 7:45pm
mse

United Kingdom 

This will probably put fuel on the fire...but anyway.

You could argue 80% of people who get into some form of difficulty and calls 999 for help could have done something stupid to put themselves there...at then end of the day, we (society) suddenly seem to go at people for things like this. There really seems a big list of H&S type stuff coming through where people seem to need some sort of law stopping anyone from doing anything because of a perceived danger - often justifying it by the worse outcome, death (which no one would want for anyone).

Yes there are idiots and yes they will sometimes seem to act like they have had a common sense bypass...but actually this - whilst maybe not fully thought through or sensible, shouldn't be attacked like that.

If the fire service cant rescue because they haven't got the resource, lets invest in them so they can? I would pay more for more ambulance and fire...not police, we have enough. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #409685 Wed Jan 15 2014 8:01pm
bengunkel

Dobbo9....If you're looking for a reaction you're barking up the wrong tree.

However I take on board what you say and will be far more considerate in the future.

Smile

Post #409689 Wed Jan 15 2014 8:16pm
rigsby

England 

Shocked Shocked MY16 AUTOBIOGRAPHY Indus silver with some toys

2012 3.0 SDV6 Luxury gone, but a great motor

Post #409695 Wed Jan 15 2014 8:29pm
dobbo9

bengunkel wrote:
Dobbo9....If you're looking for a reaction you're barking up the wrong tree.

However I take on board what you say and will be far more considerate in the future.

Smile

Look, sorry that's my view. I'm not looking for a reaction, I think the decision to take your RRS and drive through that was very risky. You know that. Testing your car in those conditions is not only crazy and risky for you but other people too.

and as for MSE "You could argue 80% of people who get into some form of difficulty and calls 999 for help could have done something stupid to put themselves there" I simply don't know where to start with that comment.

I'm lucky enough to have only ever called 999 in an emergency in my 43 years and that was a complication in my wfie's final stages of pregnancy, which thankfully for the speed of response by the paramedics, my wife and then unborn daughter's lives were saved. Not trying to be dramatic here but if they had been delayed on another job becasue someone had been stupid and done something that they didn't need to, then I would have just been supposed to shrug it of as, well, they are one of the 80% of people getting into difficulty thorough a stupid decision? Does that make it right or acceptable? If people want to prove the Darwin theory right then please don't risk my family's lives while you do it.

There are many other forums, not as good as this one, where stories and videos are posted showing the 'member' (pun intended) testing thier car's high speed capabilites on public roads. Equally as stupid, irresponsible and dangerous. I see no difference with this thread.

Bengunkle, I'm no kill joy and I bet you had a hoot driving through that. Normally I would laugh at something like this, but I could tell that the depth of the water was causing you some concern at one point and maybe you regretted it half way. I just wanted to make my point.

That is all.

Thanks, Michael.

Post #409702 Wed Jan 15 2014 8:56pm
bengunkel

Understood Michael, sorry to hear of your wife's complications in pregnancy.

Post #409706 Wed Jan 15 2014 9:10pm
dobbo9

I appreciate that reply bengunkel.

Post #409707 Wed Jan 15 2014 9:12pm
bengunkel

This is a small community mate. Are you a RRS driver yourself Michael?

Ben

Post #409710 Wed Jan 15 2014 9:30pm
dobbo9

Hi Ben, not yet. Been contemplating for a few years but not yet gone for it. Still swaying between a 5 series Touring or a RRS. Love this forum and the folks on here seem great. I sometimes want to buy one to feel like a fully fledged member on here!! How mad is that?

Post #409711 Wed Jan 15 2014 9:34pm
bengunkel

Do it. You simply cannot compare a 5 series to an RRS. There is something about the RRS which you can't put your finger on and I guarantee and so will others that it will be the best car you ever owned. Just don't buy a lemon!!!!

Post #409715 Wed Jan 15 2014 9:59pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>