RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre changing quandry..do I..don't I...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bomber H

Tyre changing quandry..do I..don't I...

Currently have Conti 4x4 Sport Contacts.
In last years snow there wasn't anywhere I couldn't go - not that I had to attempt anything particularly challenging.
I did notice that slowing to a stop on snow was an issue, but once I was familiar with what was happening, I adjusted my driving accordingly.

5000 miles later, and because of the above, I was of the opinion that my front tyres at least would be shot and need replacing for this winter, but in reality, I've just been and checked and the fronts are still at a minimum of 3mm tread, and rears just shy of 5mm.

I was all set to buy 4 new Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimetricos - but now feel it may not be necessary.

LR didn't rotate my wheels at the last service, so I wonder if I should just do that for now, effectively giving me more front grip than I had last year.

The funds are in place to buy 4 new tyres, be they of the winter or summer variety, but it now no longer seems entirely critical especially as all 4 tyres are more than legal. (That said, the front shoulders look as if they tell a different story, though the tyres aren't under inflated - perhaps a characteristic of the how the Contis wear?).

Thoughts? Bow down 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
2007 Exige S British GT SE
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #403034 Thu Nov 21 2013 2:09pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

A set of Contis I had wore their shoulders.

Currently running the OE Pirelli Asimetrico which are all weather M&S tyres and have performed pretty well across fields etc so I won't be bothering to change.

Post #403037 Thu Nov 21 2013 2:20pm
Beancounter_74

England 

I sold my RRS with circa 3mm on my factory fit Conti's that had done 16k, and the shoulders were as bald as Ady 555 Laughing

Had I kept the car, I would have replaced them with Pirelli M&S tyres like they fitted as standard from 2012 onwards. I found the Conti's to be lousy in last years snowy conditions, but as you say, buy adapting your driving style, you can live with them, but that said, like you I didn't push them. I found the low range to be of great help when it turned bad. Wink ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #403053 Thu Nov 21 2013 2:42pm
Bomber H

This leads me to a question which has been bugging me for a while, and I may get flamed for asking.....

Has the RRS got a power bias front to rear at all? Or is it permanently 50:50 F/R?
No I haven't read the manual! Embarassed 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #403069 Thu Nov 21 2013 3:39pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It's 50/50 in normal conditions but can send 100% to either end if required. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #403179 Fri Nov 22 2013 8:42am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I replaced my last contis at 10k miles due to feathering of the edges and aquaplaning Sad

Bought some brand new take off alloys and scorpions from overfinch then sold my kerbed and worn contis so ended up good deal Thumbs Up

Did about 15k on last set of scorpions before changing rrs and seemed to be wearing well Bow down

Definitely better than the contis and have them on current rrs now Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Last edited by muddywheels on Fri Nov 22 2013 9:52am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #403182 Fri Nov 22 2013 9:01am
Beancounter_74

England 

A little off topic, but yesterday I had some BF Goodrich (Michelin owned, locally fitted for £125 a corner for R18's) winters fitted to Mrs Beans Audi. All I can say is wow. I took it for a quick spin, wet roads, temp was 2 degrees.
Car felt very connected to the road and the stopping distance was definitely improved compared to the Conti sport contacts that came off.
The difference was night and day and I feel a lot happier that I've put them on her car as I feel she'll be A LOT safer. Got let down on the winter set for my BMW, but will be sourcing some in the next week or two. So, in short Bomber, get the Scorpions or Wintracs, you'll not look back I assure you Wink ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #403190 Fri Nov 22 2013 9:44am
Bomber H

Decided I'll get the fronts and rears swapped around for now. The funds will be there for new tyres when needed.
Thanks for the advice offered above Thumbs Up 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG

Post #403883 Wed Nov 27 2013 1:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1