Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Top Gear Range Rover Sport Review
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 
Top Gear Range Rover Sport Review

I know this was a few days ago, but what did people think?

Martin

Post #38 Fri May 27 2005 10:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

I think it was the best review JC has given for a long while, did any body else notice that they changed the rims on the car before venturing off road.
I inteb=nd to purchase some Overfinch 20" alloys and will be keeping the 19" for winter and planned off road trips.
If you own a 4X4 you have to take it off road even if its just the once to try it out. From what I saw on Top Gear it wont be a dissapointment.

Post #40 Fri May 27 2005 11:31pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I thought the review was very positive until the last bit back in the studio where JC and the little guy clearly decided they had been too nice about the car so far and started having a go at it. Top Gear really is useless at giving you a balanced all over view of a car, that clearly wouldn't be good enough telly for them. So they create a bit of theatre, do the play then act as their own crits immediately thereafter. They appeared to pronounce at the end that anyone who wants a RRS would really prefer a RR (Bear in mind JC is a RR owner and the lttle guy is pasionate about Defenders and their immediate predecessors) but they rightly predicted that this car would sell well. I have owned a RR which I hated because of it huge bulk, its poor road manners on twisty side roads and its dismal diesel engine (very thirsty - 19mpg - and about as much get up and go as a shopping market trolley). The TDv6 RRS will be a far better car for a keen driver (fingers crossed anyway).

Post #49 Sun May 29 2005 7:51am
Grant

United Kingdom 

Clarkson was not very complimentary about the V6 diesel; he used a daft analogy about watching his mother lapdance that may have offended those who have one on order, particularly black ones, which he also likened to a drug dealers car. Fair game I suppose for the black models with privacy glass but I doubt he's even tested the diesel model. Clarkson should take note of the market and advise buyers accordingly, Glass's latest market insight has fuel efficient diesel engines has the least depreciating cars on the road by a country mile.

Post #86 Wed Jun 01 2005 6:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Smarticus wrote:
........ (Bear in mind JC is a RR owner and the lttle guy is pasionate about Defenders and their immediate predecessors) but they rightly predicted that this car would sell well. I have owned a RR which I hated because of it huge bulk, its poor road manners on twisty side roads and its dismal diesel engine (very thirsty - 19mpg - and about as much get up and go as a shopping market trolley). The TDv6 RRS will be a far better car for a keen driver (fingers crossed anyway).

Hate to tell you this but Clarkson isn't a Range Rover owner he has a Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon and his wife has just sold her Volvo XC90 T6, according to the man himself in last weekends Driving section of the Sunday Times.
The programme had the use of a V8 Vogue for a year and if you recall it didn't go wrong once except in the last 2 days of ownership when the electric motor for the steering wheel reach failed.
Clarkson has just taken delivery of a Ford GT40 or whatever it is and also owns a Merc SL500 AMG.
Both Hammond (the little guy) and May (the scruff) are Land Rover owners though. Hammond is a Porsche fanatic and May a Bentley fan.
I also resented the fatuous comments about you might as well just own the bigger Range Rover instead of the Sport - well I currently do own an L322 TD6 SE and I am changing to the TDv6 Sport.......... reasons are the sport is a bit smaller (I'm single and on't need the vast seats but fill the boot regularly) and all the TDv6 engined D3's I have driven are way quieter than my gruff but ultra smooth TD6. I also hope that having a more aerodynamic body and a more poerful engine the TDv6 will be more economical. Although I can hardly complain about the extravagance of the TD6 - I generally get 23-25mpg in day to day driving an have seen as much as 32mpg on long runs sat at 70 on the cruise all day. 500 miles on 75l of diesel cannot be complained about for such a big wagon!

Post #90 Wed Jun 01 2005 8:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

James May also own a Porsche 911 as my brother in law met him at Virgin 911's showroom.

Tim, out of interest, how old are you? L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #214 Fri Jun 10 2005 11:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1