RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > 255/55R19 Tyres and Vehicle Registration Document
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

maires

Portugal 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
255/55R19 Tyres and Vehicle Registration Document

Hi everyone. I live in Portugal and this is my first post. Even though I've been a member for some time I've been one of those that sits in the shadow having a laugh at some of the posts and also picking up some valuable info along the way.

I own a 2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE with 19" wheels, and till now I've drive it on General Grabber UHP that were very good, even in my mild offroad journeys. But, time to replace this set has arrived, and firstly because that model was discontinued and secondly because I would like to change for a more capable offroad tyre, I'm in a quest for a new tyre model to fit my car.

I searched a lot and finally found, as you all well know, that the offer of All Terrain's in 19" is very limited. After reading some reviews and seeing that some members here and also at Disco3 forum, are very happy with it, I've decided to go for the Cooper Zeon LTZ, that I can import from UK at a good price. The problem is the 55 wall size compared to de 50 stock wall size.

I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in Portugal I can not mount any size that is not in the vehicle's registration document, and the Cooper's are 255/55R19 instead of 255/50R19 stock size. I've asked Land Rover Iberia (Portugal and Spain) a letter authorizing me to use that size in my car, but they say it's not homologated for this model, only for Discovery. Censored

As you all know Land Rover used this size for G4 RRS and they sold those cars with that size fitted. So is Land Rover Uk selling cars with no homologated tyre size fitted? Wink I don't think they are.

So my question is: does anyone have that size approved or have made it approved in the vehicle registration document? Anyone does have a letter from Land Rover authorizing to use that size?

If so could anyone send me a copy so I can oblige Land Rover Iberia to authorize me to use that size in my car?

I found very annoying that Land Rover doesn't allow their customers to use their vehicles for their purpose with capable all terrain tyres Big Cry

Thanks in advance. Thumbs Up

Post #398058 Fri Oct 11 2013 6:23pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The wheel sizes are in the handbook and on topix website if you have no book Thumbs Up

55's were fitted to g4 rrs but lr then turned down warranty claims when buyers had issues bizarrely Rolling Eyes

If the rules in Portugal are that strict I can not see a solution other than fitting sizes in handbook Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #398066 Fri Oct 11 2013 6:37pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

How about going for General Grabber AT? It's an all terrain tyre so somewhat better for off road work than the UHP you've had before. It's also available in 255/50/R19. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #398078 Fri Oct 11 2013 7:32pm
maires

Hello, thanks for the replies.

muddywheels: But that size was written in the Vehicle Registration Document or not? If it was I don't think they could turned down warranty.
Wheel size in the handbook is 255/50R19, but in the winter tyres section they mention the 255/55R19 Goodyear Ultra Grip as an approved tyre Razz , so I don't know why Land Rover Iberia doesn't want to give me the letter allowing me to use that size Censored . They are being stubborn because it's more than proved that that size works in the car. Banging Head

RRS TDV8: Thanks, I didn't realise that the Grabber AT was available in 50 form size Embarassed . If I don't manage to get the letter from Land Rover it will be my only choice because there is any other all terrain tyre in 50 form size that I'm aware off.
Even so, I preffer the LTZ look over the AT, I think is more smart, and also think that the LTZ will be better on road especially in aquaplaning.

Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #398335 Mon Oct 14 2013 6:55pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

In uk registration document does not specify tyre size Confused

The 55 profile winter tyre you mention is a mistake and was discussed on here some years ago but lr never issued an amended handbook Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #398341 Mon Oct 14 2013 7:20pm
maires

A mistake?!! But at least 7 different Owner's Handbok's issued between 2006 and 2011 all refer to this size! A mistake in one year's handbook that never was amended is possible, but 5 years with the same aproved winter tyre in 7 diferent documents (more if we consider all the translated versions) is not possible to be considered as a mistake. Any court will refuse that.

Cheers. Thumbs Up

P.S. - So in the UK you can use any tyre size that will fit the car with no restrictions? And what about MOT?

Post #398361 Mon Oct 14 2013 8:55pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

The error was discussed here http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic19985....nter+tyres

In uk we are expected to fit the sizes stated in handbook or inform insurers we have modified vehicle.

Lr have refused warranty claims if wheels differ from the original.

In the event of an accident questions can be raised by investigators and modifications can land you in trouble.

Not sure where you would stand on mot - but changing profile may mess speedo readings.

Lots of owners fit aggressive tyres and profiles for off road use but swap them back for road use. Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #398380 Mon Oct 14 2013 10:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1