Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Half day new RRS experience at Rockingham Castle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Monty2

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
Half day new RRS experience at Rockingham Castle

Hi,
Just a few weeks after getting my new (old) style RRS Autobiog, my other half and myself managed to switch from an Evoque session into the new RRS last Friday at Rockingham LR centre. After owning so many LR products I would never think about owning a new model until after about a year of Customer experiences has sorted the new type build quality issues (LR are not alone I've just had another recall on my latest type BMW 1 series). But I have to say the new model is a massive step forward over my model RRS and there was a bit of grass is greener envy after the session ended. Positives were, the on road handling and compliance (on 21 inch wheels) over pot holed B roads. I even liked the electric steering although when off roading this did produce lack of feedback when following ruts. The extra power from the 285 SD/TDV6 and lower vehicle weight made pick up from speed smooth but from pull away the hesitation as in my own RRS was evident (sorted by manual overide and selecting first) I also liked the new gearstick as finding the rotary dial a bother (had old style stick shifter in my 2006 RRS and see the rotary dial as a change for change sake.
Biggest plus was the seats which equals my previously owned cayenne sport seats and after 3 hours of driving/being a rear seat passenger allowed me to step out of the RRS not having to straighten my back or stretch my legs which I had have to after 2 hours driving in my new "old" RRS.
I for one will not be knocking the new version over the old, it has moved the game on and closer to its biggest rivals BMW and Porsche. It is bigger in width but that brings stability and the rear seat legroom growth is a positive you do sit in the vehicle as opposed to on the vehicle now which BMW and Porsche has successfully incorporated and sold many X5 and Cayennes because of the more cosseted feeling. A manual overide for the suspension to lower it at motorway speeds would be good. The version we tried was a dynamic autobiography a few of the internal design options would not be to my taste but I haven't looked at the configurator. does anyone know what the headlining in the Alcantara material is called it really should be the normal in vehicles of this price and market position not an option. I think the vehicle topped out at 80 to 85K with the options and it was pretty well loaded. Thats 30k more than i paid for my top of the range out going model RRS so I'll live with the envy for now and just congratulate anyone I see in a new version but I would ask you to just report the niggles to Land Rover so that the gremlins are gone in 2 to 3 years time when 'm likely to change please. Would also like to add a massive rating for choosing Rockinham as the venue for your experience, although dry conditions, my novice to 4x4 driving partner found she enjoyed the day more than throwing a Cayman around Silverstone and it has given her confidence in driving our RRS, so thank you to Mark our Instructor for the afternoon and the Rockinham Centre for accommodating our wish to drive the new RRS.

Paul

Post #393547 Mon Sep 02 2013 2:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1