Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Hampshire Centres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SpankyMonkey

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Luxury Stornoway Grey
Hampshire Centres

Hi All

Newbie here. I have had my RRS for 7 months now and love it. I would like to take it off road and get some experience, but cant seem to find anywhere to go (I mean legally not green laning)

Can anyone reccomend any 4x4 offroad centres in the Hampshire and surrounding areas that allow you to take your own vehicle? Just a beginners type course I think!

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere! Embarassed

Thanks MY08 Range Rover Sport HSE
Stornaway Grey
HK Premium Sound
Running Boards

Post #389708 Tue Jul 23 2013 3:25pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Just a point - green laning is the most legal form of driving off tarmac...it is not off roading, just driving on a public road which is not covered by tarmac Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #389720 Tue Jul 23 2013 4:32pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

And they're called Byways Open to All Traffic (BOAT). The term green lane has no legal basis as I understand it.

Many of the country's BOATs are temporarily / permanently closed by TROs. These are put in place by the local authority.

If you find a TRO restricting access to a BOAT, please respect it - people using closed BOATs get eberyone a bad name and will only result in all BOATs in an area being closed permanently to all. There are enough pressures on LAs to close BOATs - usually from local NIMBYs and The Ramblers etc.

The best idea is to find your local 4x4 group. They will be able to help you find open BOATs and will also be able to offer help / advice. They may also invite you to join them on outings.

Bear in mind that many BOATs are in a poor state of repair and are overgrown - there is a risk of paint being scratched by branches etc. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #389735 Tue Jul 23 2013 9:26pm
Advanced Factors
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 

One of the guys on the full fat site is organising a trip on Salisbury Plain, introduce yourself over there, I expect you would be welcome....

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic19470.html Paul Redding
+44 (0)23 8052 2776
paul@advancedfactors.co.uk

Post #389736 Tue Jul 23 2013 9:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 

I was the rights of way officer for a large land rover club for a number of years, and have chalked up many miles on them...it's true there were never many boats and other classed roads under the green lane banner...there are still a fair number, but it depends where in the country you are and understand what to look for to spot them, once you have them from the definitive map there is a website to help check if there are restrictions on them

Green laning and off roading are very different things, certainly each have different advantages and rules.

Some lanes are tight and damaging, especially as discos and sports are wide, many aren't damaging and very basic.

If you want more hard core activity and more potentially damaging depending on how far you want to go, a pay and play site is what you might want to consider...this is where you need to consider your skill and a number of other factors including who you go with and rescue when you get stuck Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #389743 Tue Jul 23 2013 10:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1