RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > New model dilemma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
New model dilemma

I have been a happy owner of RRS's since their launch, with a TDv6 originally and for the last 5 years a TDv8. My current vehicle still does everything I ask of it bloody well. It's very powerful, great to drive, fits me like a glove, reliable (just one issue with a turbo in 120,000 miles) works brilliantly and safely in the road & weather conditions of rural Northumberland and just suits me down to the ground.

But these things can't last for ever (can they ?). I have been saying for several years that I can't think of any car I would rather have and have used this as my reason for keeping the current vehicle. But now the new version is coming on stream, I am tempted. As I see it I have the following choices :

Order a SDv6 HSE for September 13
Order a TDv6 SE for January 14
Wait to order a SDv8 for (say) mid 14 (or whenever these come online)

Cost, performance and reliability ( of new vehicle and my existing vehicle ) are all considerations.

I know in theory the SDv6 has the performance of the TDv8 - but I am not convinced. The TDv8 is chipped (has been since 4 months old) and pulls like a Train, accelerates like a rocket and handles like a car half it's mass and just "feels" great. So perhaps the SDv6 would disappoint and I should wait for the V8 diesel.

Or if I am going to accept lower performance, perhaps the TDv6 would be adequate, and the spec of the SE includes everything I want (i prefer basic to bling) at a price that looks more reasonable. I am after all getting older and perhaps wiser and should be looking to save for my retirement rather than splashing the cash Big Cry

And having had the Sport and a Disco 3 then 4 each time they were released - when am I going to learn that the best time to buy new models is a year after launch so they are fully de-bugged ?

Or just keep my existing vehicle until it (or I) die ?

And maybe the costs to change will increase as the current model depreciates faster and LR put the prices up not down on new models.

These and several other dilemmas present themselves so would be grateful for any suggestions or other considerations in this mix on which option to go for. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Last edited by Smarticus on Thu May 30 2013 9:46pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #384236 Wed May 29 2013 7:38am
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I had a similar dilema, buy the existing model now or order the new model.
With the new model will there be the usual bugs/faults that seem to apply to all new models regardless of make, plus the price increase.
I chose to buy the existing model, some good deals about, with the view to P/X in 2 years time for the new model when hopefully all the bugs have been ironed out.

Undoubtedly the new model will be a better car, but probably not the first ones off the production line.
Just my opinion.

Post #384242 Wed May 29 2013 9:46am
Renaco

Germany 
ti

seems you are happy with your existing RRS.

so why not driving it for another year (enjoy the still perfect shape and style) until the new TDV8 is ready. then test the TDV8 and the SDV6 and decide after a ride.

Post #384246 Wed May 29 2013 9:56am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Quote:
It's very powerful, great to drive, fits me like a glove, reliable (just one issue with a turbo in 120,000 miles) works brilliantly and safely in the road & weather conditions of rural Northumberland and just suits me down to the ground.

So why change? If you've got a peach and are happy with it, why bother changing? 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #384254 Wed May 29 2013 12:03pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Just to throw this in, you mention a SE spec, well that wont be available apparently until January 13 and currently it doesnt show you can spec the off road stuff to it...so just another factor.

Personally im more than happy with the SDv6 on the 8 speed - its just as good, if not better than the last TDV8 i had and the SDv6 is certainly better than the TDv6, not massively but noticeably. Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #384277 Wed May 29 2013 6:29pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

mse wrote:
Just to throw this in, you mention a SE spec, well that wont be available apparently until January 13
Shocked
What year are you in Mike Question Embarassed Laughing

Post #384288 Wed May 29 2013 8:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mse

United Kingdom 

I have no idea!! Rolling with laughter Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #384291 Wed May 29 2013 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1