RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Removing the head restraints to fit seat covers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Removing the head restraints to fit seat covers

RRUK and I have both experienced difficulty in removing the head restraints so we could fit the tailored seat covers so after an hour of cursing and swearing this morning I dropped by the local LR dealers, who also did not have a clue how to get them off! Then one of the service reception guys came out and together we had a fiddle so here is how to remove all the head restraints:

To remove front passenger seat head restraint:
Open front passenger door and recline passenger seat back either as far forward as it will go or half way back and lower the seat as afar down as it will go.
Open rear passenger door and sit on the seat if you can get in otherwise it is a bit awkward.
On the left stalk for the head restraint there is a springy button, press it in and lift the restraint until it feels like it has hit the bumpstop, push back about a millimeter. Now look at the right hand stalk where it goes through the seat back - on the right side of the plastic moulding there is what looks like a tiny plastic filler as if the seat back plastic could be for either right or left stalk. This is not a blanking piece but another spring loaded button! If you press it in (it has a bit of a knack to it) and pull up the restraint at the same time the whole restraint will lift out of the seat back. Easy when you know how Laughing
The instructions on the LR computer system in the showroom don't even mention this, they just say to press in the left hand button to release the restraint.
As I said above it takes alittle bit of fiddling to get the restraint stalks level and then you have to wiggle it a bit to get it passed the right hand clip. It is the same process for all of the head restraints.

When fitting the covers they are very tight in places........... be prepared for trapped fingers and broken finger nails!

Tim 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #3737 Fri Oct 21 2005 12:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Sorry guys, this is the second posting about this - I didn't see RRUK's post which is just about the same........ Embarassed 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #3778 Fri Oct 21 2005 6:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mr G in NYC

United States 

Glad to hear someone else had FUN fitting those seat
covers !! They are a bit 'snug' to say the least..Took
me 1.5 hrs to fit them..... Any one know who will making
the sheepskin covers ?? I prefer sitting on those to the
leather seats...cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

Post #3816 Sat Oct 22 2005 3:54pm
grommet

United States 

Remember to make sure any 3rd party seat covers are designed for seats with air bags in them.

Post #3819 Sat Oct 22 2005 7:14pm
Mr G in NYC

United States 

Good point, my covers are made by land Rover.

Post #3822 Sat Oct 22 2005 11:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1