RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > TMC coverage - only a 2 mile area?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
TMC coverage - only a 2 mile area?

One problem I am encountering with the TMC traffic system is that it only works when you select a 2 mile or less radius. Not a lot of good when deciding which motorway to go on or which part of the M25 is a car park. Obviously, you can set it with GPS to give an alternative route, but that means you are given directions all the time when you probably already know how to get home. Does anybody know how to extend the coverage to 10 miles (similar to Toyota/Lexus) which gives a much fuller picture of traffic problems?

Post #3735 Fri Oct 21 2005 11:23am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

What the heck is TMC, is that some sort of traffic broadcast info interfaced with the navigation system? We Yanks don't get that either, darn it. Only Acura has a system like that available in their RL sedan, through XM Satellite Radio. 

Post #3780 Fri Oct 21 2005 8:40pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Umbertob,

TMC is indeed a traffic system we use here in the UK, there are lots of cameras on little blue tripods around the UK in all the usual traffic heavy spots, they report back to a central 'place', and is then broadcast to units that can recieve it such as the RRS. It effectively has the power to tell you when a traffic jam is coming up on your planned satnav route and offer an alternative to get around it...or you can ignore it!

It can be clever or can be a bit out of date, more often than not, I ignore the chance to take another route. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3784 Fri Oct 21 2005 9:08pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

RRUK, that sounds great, is this service offered free of charge? Here in the US one sat radio outfit - XM - is transmitting similar traffic info for a few major metro areas to cars equipped with the appropriate receiver and navigation system, but so far only one model from Acura (Honda) is designed to receive it (along with a few aftermarket head units from Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood). There is a also a monthly fee involved. The competing sat radio company picked by Ford / LR for their US-spec cars - Sirius - should start offering a similar service in the near future, but I doubt currently manufactured cars would be prewired to take advantage of this service when it becomes available, including our Sports (even those that have integrated Sirius sat radio reception, such as mine). Maybe in a year or two...

Like cell phone service, for in-car technology I'm afraid we lag behind what's available in many European countries already. What a lifesaver such a service would be in the maze of Southern California freeways! 

Post #3792 Fri Oct 21 2005 10:06pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

I never think this system works that well.. We have it in my dad's seven series Bmw and in that it always seems to tell you traffic is stopped ahead as soon as you are seeing the brake lights coming on, and by then ur stuck already!

The RRS seems to randomly say: there is stationery traffic ahead, on a quiet residential road at 11pm!! so i don't really put that much trust in it to be honest. Would not pay a monthly fee for it, thats for sure! The concept sounds good, but i think because UK roads are soo chocked up and congsted already, we really need this kind of system!

Post #3798 Sat Oct 22 2005 10:05am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

The monthly fee version is what we have in the UK as TrafficMaster, which I had in my last car aswell as TMC. It was fairly crude but once the subscription ran out I didn't bother renewing it. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3804 Sat Oct 22 2005 12:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1