RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Spare wheel winching process
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bomber H

Spare wheel winching process

There's a few posts about spare wheel winching, but none that answer my question, so I've created a new post especially...

According to page 220 of my manual, when winching the wheel back up under the car, when the wheel reaches its upper position, there should be a "clear physical jerk from the wheel nut brace and an audible noise".

I'm not feeling a jerk or hearing a noise. Instead the winding can just continue on an on...

Is this anything to worry about?
I only found this out when I tried to install the RLD anti-theft device but until I'm satisfied about this jerking process, I have left it off. 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
2007 Exige S British GT SE
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #367946 Sat Dec 29 2012 9:50am
Bomber H

Anybody?

Do feel the 'jerk' and hear the noise when winching the wheel up? 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #368068 Mon Dec 31 2012 10:34am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Bought an RLD son after acquiring my RRS. So like you, first time I ever used the winch was installing the RLD. The winch is designed to stop getting any tighter at a certain tension after which some sort of ratchet mechanism kicks in. On mine there is no noticeable jerk and only a very slight ratcheting feel with little or no noise. If you get under the car and check the spare is firmly held with no movement by trying to wiggle it you have nothing to worry about. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #368069 Mon Dec 31 2012 10:47am
Bomber H

Cheers Paddi

Yes, the wheel feels secure, and after a hundred miles or so hasn't budged, so assume its all ok Thumbs Up 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG

Post #368071 Mon Dec 31 2012 10:58am
kav1187

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I've recently fitted my RLD protector and can't say I noticed any jerk. I just stopped turning when it got tight. To be honest I wouldn't want to put too much pressure on the winch as they've been known to go wrong.

Then again...if there is no jerk does that mean that it hasn't locked in place and that the bad guys can just pull it down? Confused

Post #368072 Mon Dec 31 2012 11:05am
mse

United Kingdom 

The term jerk has been used and no one has offered any sort of unrelated but funny comment...shocking Rolling with laughter Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #368106 Mon Dec 31 2012 5:29pm
Bomber H

mse wrote:
The term jerk has been used and no one has offered any sort of unrelated but funny comment...shocking Rolling with laughter

Yep, I opened the door clear and wide, but no one walked through! Laughing 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG

Post #368119 Mon Dec 31 2012 7:18pm
Nottsman

United Kingdom 

Just had 2 of Uncle Rays great spare wheel protectors delivered.

Fitted them to the RRS and D4.

Like you guys I never had cause to lower spare before.

On both cars I could feel when the turning mechanism got tight........a further quarter turn produced a loud click at which point I stopped.
Can't remember any jerk as such and was not looking for it as I have read this afterwards.

This was the case for both cars. 12MY RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra / Black + contrast/ Grand Black
2010 Disco4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze - Missed very much
2008 Disco3 2.7 TDV6 XS Stornoway - Now gone

Post #379483 Wed Apr 03 2013 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1