RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Any issues with running m+s tyres all year round?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Mud and snow is just a geometry thing, not a specific performance indicator in the way that a "proper" winter tyre is (the snowflake and mountain symbol):

Quote:
What’s the difference in snow traction between an M+S (Mud and Snow) branded tire, an All-Season tire and a purpose-built snow tyre?

The original definition of M+S tyres is based on the geometry of the tread design. The M+S designation was first used to differentiate the knobby bias ply tyres intended for use on muddy, and/or snow-covered roads from the straight rib tyres used on early cars or trucks. Tyres with tread designs that meet the definition may be branded with the letters “M” and “S” in several different ways (e.g., M&S, M+S, M/S, MS, etc.) at the discretion of the tyre manufacturer.

When early radial ply tyres were also found to deliver more snow traction than the straight rib, bias ply tyes, the tire companies introduced “All-Season tyres.” Supported by advertising, All-Season tyres have presented an unspoken promise that they, throughout their life, can provide traction for all seasons…through spring’s rain, summer’s heat, autumn’s cooling and winter’s snow. While this combined offering has made All-Season tyres popular, many drivers have learned that a geometric definition doesn’t guarantee winter snow and ice traction.

In 1999, The U.S. Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA) and the Rubber Association of Canada (RAC) agreed on a performance based standard to identify passenger and light truck tyres that attain a traction index equal to, or greater than110 (compared to a reference tyre which is rated 100) during the specified American Society for Testing and Materials traction tests on packed snow. The new standard helps ensure that drivers can easily identify tyres that provide a higher level of snow traction.

A snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol branded on the tyre’s sidewall identifies tyres that met the required performance in snow testing.

Source:http://www.snowtyres.com.au/faqs 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #362878 Sun Nov 11 2012 11:27pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

If we were all loaded and wanted to drive the RRS like a sports car we should fit summer tyres in the summer and winter tyres in the winter but if you drive within the speed limits and road conditions then all weather m+s will be fine Thumbs Up

I had a few scary moments the first summer of ownership hitting standing water on the nearside with the contis but no such issue with the Pirelli scorpions Confused

Also caravanning in the on farm sites I don't have to worry now about getting stuck in the mud when it is time to leave Laughing Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #362887 Mon Nov 12 2012 10:26am
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Not driving the RRS as a sport car, but I put summer tyres in summer and winter tyres in winter, the extra safety make it worth the "hassle".
Costs at the end are at the same(apart from the initial lay out for the wheels). '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #362895 Mon Nov 12 2012 12:46pm
RRSTDV8

I decided on winter tyres last winter becuase the RRS was new to me and I really didn't want to plant it in a hedge (a common sight in snowy conditions is 4x4 on summer tyres sat in hedges because their drivers forgot about physics) or, worse still, be sitting there going nowhere in snow Whistle

Now I know a bit better how well the vehicle performs so I'd probably just run M+S tyres all year round. I've just had the winter tyres put back on because, well, I've already got them.

My other tyres are AT rather than M+S. They've got plenty of wear left in them too so I won't be going to M+S tyres for at least 12 months.

If one does run M+S tyres year round then one needs to remember that the tyre is a year round compromise - it won't be as good as a summer tyre in summer nor a winter tyre in winter. But it should prevent one from looking an idiot in a muddy/snowy car park... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #362896 Mon Nov 12 2012 12:47pm
Jonny Fresh

England 

Can you get M&S tyres in 22 form?

Post #362899 Mon Nov 12 2012 1:03pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I would guess yours are all weather tyres anyway JF. Thumbs Up

Post #362901 Mon Nov 12 2012 1:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Had opportunity today to test my new 20" Pirelli M+S tyres in snow - totally useless Evil or Very Mad

Twitchy as hell at 10-20 mph in town with snow mode and dsc on or off - had to brake when a van skidded in front of me and just clicked away and kept going - I might as well of been in swmbo's mini Confused

Last 2 winters I swapped my 20" summer contis for 19" Wrangler M+S and they were superb - My FL1 on Michelin M+S was even better Rolling Eyes

I sold the 19" set because I did not think I would need them again but may have to invest in a winter set now Banging Head

Just as I was starting to love the RRS again Big Cry

All my previous LR's were excellent in winter so this is bizarre Thud Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #369368 Mon Jan 14 2013 9:33pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

My Vredestein's were brilliant in 4" of snow today, (20's) even when pushed to the limit, more than capable, highly recommend. Thumbs Up

Post #369369 Mon Jan 14 2013 9:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Had a play today in the work car park. Got a nice little bit of oversteer with a good bit of steering and throttle to get it moving. Thumbs Up

Also, on fresher snow, good braking from the tyres. Same on deep slush. But on hard icy snow, the tyres did stuggle to find grip on braking. Not surprising, of course, as icy snow / ice is difficult for any non-studded tyre.

This was 19in Vred Wintracs. I reckon they're a decent tyre - as good in winter as a decent summer tyre would be in summer if that makes sense.

Next year I guess I might be on M & S tyres but, given the wear to date I think I might even get a third winter out of them Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #369370 Mon Jan 14 2013 10:07pm
Coolbanana

M+S tyres should be great all year round; I had Grabber AT's on my Disco 4 and they were very good. But...noisy and used more fuel...

My MY12 RRS has Conti SportContact Summer tyres as standard so I've fitted Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme's for winter and will put the Conti's back on in March or so. Current car: Porsche 911 Carrera S PDK (997.2) Past Car: (MY12) Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6 - Orkney Grey with Almond interior
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO

Post #369668 Wed Jan 16 2013 10:09pm
Nottsman

United Kingdom 

There are quite a few members on Disco3 forum who are running Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme tyres year round and claim to be getting around 40K miles to a set.........in contrast to the Scorpion Zeros which usually go by about 15K. 12MY RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra / Black + contrast/ Grand Black
2010 Disco4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze - Missed very much
2008 Disco3 2.7 TDV6 XS Stornoway - Now gone

Post #372659 Thu Feb 07 2013 10:56pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Just driven across Europe, in the snow, rain and autobahns at 115/120mph...nothing wrong with the scorpions Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #372677 Fri Feb 08 2013 2:01am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Ady 555 wrote:
My Vredestein's were brilliant in 4" of snow today, (20's) even when pushed to the limit, more than capable, highly recommend. Thumbs Up

Great tyres. Thumbs Up Please call us 01737 241370 for the quickest response Smile

www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #373001 Mon Feb 11 2013 8:44am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 
NEW General Grabber GT.

New General Grabber GT soon to be available in 255/50x19, 275/40x20 and 275/45x20, no prices as yet but will be very keen.

The NEW General GT will be taking over from the older UHP from General which I know many RRS use and like.

Hope these will be of help to you all.

Will add more as and when I have more info. Thumbs Up Please call us 01737 241370 for the quickest response Smile

www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #373080 Mon Feb 11 2013 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12