RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > For Sale & Wanted > Wanted: Freelander bike carrier
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Andy

United Kingdom 
Wanted: Freelander bike carrier

Ok, so it's not RRS related, but does anyone know where I can get a bike carrier for the Freelander? There are a couple on ebay but does anyone know anywhere cheaper? 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi
Ertl limited edition RRS model number 817

Post #37080 Sat Jun 03 2006 10:42pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I have one ........................ and it will also fit onto a FFRR as I had my removable tow hook for that modified to take the towbar mounting.
Mine is gathering dust in the garage as it will not fit on the removable tow hook that I have on my Sport. The same bike rack can be used on D3 and RRS if you elect to have a fixed towbar though.
Andy they are very, very heavy so carriage would be prohibitive. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #37081 Sat Jun 03 2006 10:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy

United Kingdom 

Not sure about postage as you said, could get quite expensive. Do you know if the ones that fit onto the rear wheel are any good? Are the ones that go onto the towbar better? 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi

Post #37082 Sat Jun 03 2006 10:59pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have experienced both......................... LR version is definately superior (and much much more expensive!), the spare wheel one was very flimsy (a Halfords version) and we nearly lost a bike off it.
LR version requires a tow bar to be able to fit it. It sticks out far enough to clear the spare and doesn't require any straps or stays to keep it secure. The mopunting is a plate that goes between the tow bar and the tow ball using longer bolts, so it is permanently connected to the car. The carrier then slots into the two short posts on the bracket. It is much more sturdy than anything else similar on the market.
I'll try to "jury" rig it and take some pictures, but that won't be until this evening as am off with Mr and Mrs Mudalloverit for an offroad driving day in the Grampian Hills.
Have you tried Pendle Bikeracks who make bike carriers to fit most models of Land Rover? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #37088 Sun Jun 04 2006 6:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy

United Kingdom 

Ok, don't fancy losing a bike so I think I will try the tow bar one! I'll try Pendle Bikeracks now. Have fun with your off roading day! Wink 2002 Discovery Adventurer LE
1998 Freelander xedi

Post #37090 Sun Jun 04 2006 9:48am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Andy if you are interested, I have still got the spare wheel mounted bike carrier from my Freelander days.

I regularly carried two mountain bikes on the back with no problems what-so-ever.

If you are interested send me a pm.

I have also still got a Freelander dog guard if anyone is interested. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #37141 Sun Jun 04 2006 10:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1