Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Locking Gas Cap/Door
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mavromatis

United States 
Locking Gas Cap/Door

Hi there,

I went to the dealer to check out my new (or soon to be) Sport and noticed that the gas door is a touch-latch system, not locking. Is this a problem for anyone? If the car is armed does the alarm sound if the gas cap is opened? Why would LR not add a locking system... a solenoid is inexpensive, and at the very least, it should have been connected to the door locking system. Do the other markets (UK) have a locking gas door/cap? Does LR offer a locking cap as a dealer accessory?

Besides that, the Sport is an amazing truck!

Post #3680 Thu Oct 20 2005 3:50pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Yes, it is just a push latch, but then it does still lock with the central locking. Well the UK ones do anyway. I'm sure they all do. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #3684 Thu Oct 20 2005 4:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

Both LR3 and Range Rover Sport do not have a locking fuel filler door in North America. Yes, even a loaded Supercharged one. It does not lock with the doors. Some other markets do have the lock installed. (And no, the alarm does not sound if you pry open the door when it's locked.)

It seems the product managers didn't think it was necessary, with our "cheap" (relatively) $3 USD/gal fuel.

Yes, pretty stupid... but I guess every little item counts. In reality, is someone really wants to screw with your fuel... they can... even if the easily broken door is "locked."

Post #3688 Thu Oct 20 2005 4:44pm
mavromatis

United States 

grommet wrote:
Both LR3 and Range Rover Sport do not have a locking fuel filler door in North America. Yes, even a loaded Supercharged one. It does not lock with the doors. Some other markets do have the lock installed. (And no, the alarm does not sound if you pry open the door when it's locked.)

Can someone take a photo of their UK versioned RRS gas compartment? I want to see what parts are missing from the US version... it seems like there is a hole near the bottom of the touch-latch system where a solenoid pin would be. Is the wiring there on the US spec car that all we would need is the missing solenoid assembly? If so, how do we get the part number? I'd really like to install that part...

Thanks,
Danny

Post #3697 Thu Oct 20 2005 5:52pm
grommet

United States 

If you look closely, you can see where the locking solenoid "pin" should pop out of. I think the mechanism would need to be installed from behind the compartment and I don't think the wiring is there, either. But I didn't tear apart either vehicle.

I have no idea if any "software" would need to be changed to support it if somehow you wired to the "correct" location.

You would need to contact someone in a country/market that has the option to get the part(s).

I thought about doing this for 5 minutes, but wrote it off as not worth the cost/effort/risk.

Post #3698 Thu Oct 20 2005 6:05pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Hi Danny

I believe the actuator part number is FSG500013 - UK price £14.10
There's also a clip that might be required - IPN500030 - UK price £0.12

The actuator is labelled "Actuator Assy, 433 MHz Door Lock Frequency" - whether this would work with a US spec alarm (which I guess isn't 433 MHz). It might be worth a look inside the boot (trunk!) behind the side panel on the fuel filler side (if possible) to see if there's a connector or provision for the actuator? Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #3699 Thu Oct 20 2005 6:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

North America generally uses 315 MHz for alarms, FYI.

Post #3700 Thu Oct 20 2005 6:24pm
mavromatis

United States 

Martin wrote:
I believe the actuator part number is FSG500013 - UK price £14.10
There's also a clip that might be required - IPN500030 - UK price £0.12

The actuator is labelled "Actuator Assy, 433 MHz Door Lock Frequency" - whether this would work with a US spec alarm (which I guess isn't 433 MHz). It might be worth a look inside the boot (trunk!) behind the side panel on the fuel filler side (if possible) to see if there's a connector or provision for the actuator?

Edit: So this part is more related to the alarm, than the central locking system, correct? Hence the 433 MHz Frequency?

Thanks Martin! This is very interesting... does anyone have a service manual available for the Sport yet? When I get delivery of my Sport, I will check out the side panel area for a connector... I'm wondering if the actuator just requires power and the car sends a 433 Mhz signal to tell it to lock... but at only £14.10, I doubt it. Seems too complex for such a thing. I wonder what the interface is... Do we have any LR service technicians on this board?

Post #3701 Thu Oct 20 2005 6:27pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I'll take some pictures tomorrow afternoon of mine if that helps. They'll be online this time tomorrow for you. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3703 Thu Oct 20 2005 6:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1