Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > A little knowledge is a dangerous thing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Hi All,

Having put up with the steering wheel shaking at 50-70 for nearly 2 years I am amazed to say it has now been cured Very Happy

So after reading TSBs on 20" vs 19" and having the tracking done and new front tyres at a reputable tyre place to no avail I decided that it must be the next stage of steering rack replacement to solve the problem. That is an expenxive step.

I even raised it at my local dealer as a part of the last service and they did something to the wheels that they thought had fixed it. They also suggested the next step of steering rack replacement.

So having damaged the side wall of my rear I went to F1 autocentres in Basingstoke to get 2 new rears. Whilst there they swapped the fronts for the rears, rebalanced all the wheels and did the 4 wheel alignment (Not Hunter that I was looking for but apparently something equally as good).

It took a blimin' long time (approx 2 hrs) for them to do this, which didnt impress me overly.

HOWEVER, on the drive back home (and subsequently) I have been steering wobble free Very Happy Cool

I am falling back in love with the car - I had even considered trading it in as every time I drove it with the steering wheel shake it used to p Censored me off.

So to all those that read this forum as avidly as I do if you have this issue then please get the wheels balanced and tracking done at a good tyre centre. It's made a world of difference to me.

I think Beancounter said it improved his RRS, but it has made the world of difference to mine. I now have that RRS driver grin back on my face and I look forward to getting in the car, rather than not wanting to.

Sorry for the long post -I just wanted to share my learning and good news with all you on here Thumbs Up

Pat 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #342089 Tue May 01 2012 7:05pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Pretty sad that the dealers involved in the process didn't check that 1st!

Post #342103 Tue May 01 2012 7:59pm
RRSNorway

Norway 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi!

I'v got the same prob.

Bought some new 22" 285/35/22 replica and the shakes is a pain in the......

Got the tyres balanced for the second time but stil no fix!! Im worried that I need some new alloys if there's nothing that needs to get sortet out on the car.

Hope for a low cost Smile

Post #344750 Fri May 25 2012 2:06pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Pat, great that you got to the bottom of it and have resolved the problem. Thumbs Up

RRSNorway, it's probably not the balancing, you actually need to get the car aligned properly, a decent 4 wheel alignment by a reputable place. If all 4 wheels aren't aligned dead straight, it could be causing the problems you're experiencing. Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #344760 Fri May 25 2012 2:21pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

RRSNorway wrote:
Hi!

I'v got the same prob.

Bought some new 22" 285/35/22 replica and the shakes is a pain in the......

Got the tyres balanced for the second time but stil no fix!! Im worried that I need some new alloys if there's nothing that needs to get sortet out on the car.

Hope for a low cost Smile

swap the wheels over, fron to back, see if that works 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #344810 Sat May 26 2012 10:37am
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Have done wheel alignment on mine but don't fall into the trap my original dealer did. These cars need a full tank of fuel or 75 kgs added to get suspension to sit right before doing alignment. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #362332 Thu Nov 08 2012 10:57am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1