Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > RRS - HSE Luxury package - 2007 - noise at startup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

ranco18972

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Luxury Santorini Black
RRS - HSE Luxury package - 2007 - noise at startup

Hello RR lovers!
Yes I did it. I got a used RRS HSE Luxury 2007 - 69K miles + extended warranty (48 month)
While I did my homework before buying one, I am now feeling a little worried.
Yes I drove it prior to buying it from the dealership (1 car owner), but I am now hearing a rough noise.
When the car is cool, I start the engine, wait for a minute until it settles, there is a rough noise, not too rough, not too smooth.

After reading through many forums, I tend to believe it might related to a belt tensionner.
Noise goes higher when I drive the car. when parked after warm-up the noise seems to quiet down.

Anyone experienced this before? is this just a V8 noise? could it be the water pump? it sounds like a barring..

Post #356152 Mon Sep 10 2012 6:09pm
firstinretail

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Siberian Silver

Is it a chirp chirp noise, that stays in sync with the engine revs ? Mine does it and we are sure its the alternator, as all belts been changed. If you took some fog and put it in a jar, would it be missed.

Post #356173 Mon Sep 10 2012 10:03pm
ranco18972

I wouldn't call it chirp, however it goes high with high rpm and almost disappear when rpm is low.

when idle, the engine is very quiet. I am still adapting to the nois combination when I start the car (air pump, cold engine, and this weird noise).

So far I was able to get 413 miles out of a full tank while driving between states (IL-MI-OH).
Sure it drops a little if I kick it, but an average 400 miles per full tank is so far good for such heavy vehicle.

I will keep this thread updated once I take my RRS to the shop for oil/maintenance visit where I will look for some answers on this topic. I am confident that this is not too normal of a noise. we shall see.

Post #356646 Sat Sep 15 2012 7:08pm
ranco18972

UPDATE!

finally after 2 visits to the dealership, the technician nailed it! Very Happy

It was related to a bad hydraulic pump which feeds into the hydraulic sway bar.
That's the good news. Now I have to cross another bridge... make sure the extended warranty covers the cost.

The dealership estimated the cost to be around $1,900; we contacted the extended warranty co, so we are now waiting to see where the coverage applies (sometimes they send an inspector to confirm).

I say it's covered, but you never know how some warranty companies would dissect it's coverage.
This part is related to the suspension system but it's a component attached to the engine where it's powered by a pulley attached by the drive belt.

How did we troubleshoot it, and why it took 2 days!?

the first time I brought the vehicle to the workshop, the car was driven for 30 minutes and the weather was pretty warm. the noise wasn't too loud or apparent. The service adviser suggested I leave the car over-night, and come back in the morning to start it up to see if it's really a noise coming from the engine or it's my imagination.
the next morning at 730AM, with a temperature lower than 45 degrees, we started-up the car and the noise was so loud and clear. the service adviser then asked to remove the drive belt and make sure it has nothing to do with the engine. Once the drive belt was removed, the noise disappeared. at that point there were 3 or 4 pulleys to test and confirm if one of them is causing the noise. It took less than an hour to nail it!

I finally feel better about the whole situation, as I needed to get the noise bug out of my head and enjoy driving the RRS. Yes it is crazy to think about the $1900, but I still have high hopes that the 48 month extended warranty I purchased (suggested by LR dealership), will cover this problem. Crying or Very sad

I will keep this thread updated as soon as I find out about the coverage.

Cheers!

Post #358895 Sat Oct 06 2012 3:42pm
ranco18972

The extended warranty covered the entire cost (came to $1,700).
It was the ACE Pump. I only paid for Tax.

Post #359248 Wed Oct 10 2012 6:12pm
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Good to hear a successful outcome.

I'm just waiting confirmation that my extended warranty will cover lower wishbone bushes - the warranty company keep changing their mind ! FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #359250 Wed Oct 10 2012 6:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1