RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre Rotation??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black
Tyre Rotation??

Maybe one of the resident tyre experts could help me with this one.

the front tyres are sitting at 3mm depth, rears at 6mm. i would like to stick front to back and vice versa to eek out a few more thousand miles. at the moment in the wet you can tell the fronts are going, understeers a bit especially if there is a fair bit of diesel on them.
anyway, at my last service i asked them to do it, and was a bit annoyed when they changed them on the same axle, but not front to back!! apparently landrover do not advise this.
i have worked out that if i do it myself i have to raise each side 3 times to swap them round, 6 in total. ! phoned a tyre place and they wanted £40, and said the wheels would want reballenced Shocked

what i dont understand is that basically i am being forced into changing the rears earlier as you shouldnt fit tyres on a 4x4 in pairs due to axle winding, but if my fronts are less tread than the rears, is this not the same!

cheers
dave

Ps, i have a nice shiny set of wheels to go on, but dont want to change them over since i still have 6mm on the rears! MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #349884 Thu Jul 05 2012 10:24am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

I was in exactly the same position and LR Leeds have just this week swapped mine over front to back, same side. They couldn't swap side to side as the tyres are rotational.

The Service Manager recommended this be done at service time.

Clearly the plot thickens........Im driving to Warwick on Saturday - hopefully not sideways. Rolling with laughter FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #349889 Thu Jul 05 2012 10:37am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I used to have a landcruiser and the handbook instructed owners to rotate wheels including spare - every 3000 miles I think Shocked

I complained to my dealer on first service about conti edge wear on my RRS and they swapped them to the back and said they were fine Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #349892 Thu Jul 05 2012 10:42am
codfather

Bradders,
what tyres are you on? mine are Goodyear excellence , which are not rotational, but have an outward facing side. think i will stick with my common sense and stick front to back, as clearly landrover nor kwickfit know (their website claims that rotationg tyres can increase the chances of a punture!! more like it increases their profits!)

cheers
dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #349894 Thu Jul 05 2012 11:19am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Im on Hankooks. When i questionned him about swapping as I'd heard that LR arent happy about it either, the Service Manager just laughed. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #349895 Thu Jul 05 2012 11:46am
SRE

Spain 

I understand that the concern is with handling, apparently it takes a few miles for the tyres to bed in. Whistle In Spain - 2018 F Pace - Frightened away from the Sports due to crank failures
Gone - A couple of RRS, A couple of Disco's. However thinking of another Sport.

Post #349896 Thu Jul 05 2012 12:31pm
shakeapaw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

i used to swap back to front on my Toyota Supra all the time as i was getting 3000 miles from a set of rears Censored , i also changed front to back on my old disco, and i have just done it on my wifes Freelander, i will also be doing it onmy RRS when the time comes 07,TDV8,Black, Black Heated leather all round, Rear Entertainment with Headpones & Remote, TV, DVD, Pure Dab Digital Radio, Sidesteps, Adaptive Headlights, sunroof, now working fuel burning heater Smile)))

Post #349950 Fri Jul 06 2012 9:50am
codfather

just got a digital thingy for checking tyre depth, based on the fact there is very little grip in the wet and that they look worn, i would have expected them to be less than the minimum, they are in fact between 3.75/4.2mm on front, rears are 6mm! so yes , i will be changing front to back this afternoon. the 4 brand new ones here are 7.75/7.8mm if anyone is interested!!

cheers
dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Post #349955 Fri Jul 06 2012 11:28am
champmac

Tyre wear varies depending on where it is fitted.Should your tyre suddenly deflate it is easier for the driver to maintain control of the vehicle if this happens at the front and not the back. used car dealer

Post #358140 Fri Sep 28 2012 5:34am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

The only issue you may have is when the tyres were fitted, the rears may not have been balanced, so when they are on the front, you might get a vibration through the steering.

Can see no reason why the garage would not swap them front-rear though. It's something we get asked to do a lot, for exactly the same reason. And we balance the rear wheels while they are off, just in case, saves having to take the wheels off again Whistle

Post #358144 Fri Sep 28 2012 5:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1