RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > RRS WHEELS & STUDS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Peanut

United Kingdom 
RRS WHEELS & STUDS

[img]When I bought the car for my good lady she thought the wheels were really super.
As the colour was what we were looking for and it was not "funeral black" inside we bought it.
Not being very knowledgeable about RRS at the time I thought they were 20 inch.

Having done a lot of reading on this forum and elsewhere I now find that they are 22 inch aftermarket copies of OF Tigers. I'm not overly happy with this. But they are marked as SAE-J2530 1025kg - whether that is believable I don't know! I cannot see many other markings and especially no offset figure. They are 22inch x 9 rims and the tyres are 285/35.
The good thing however is that it has almost new tyres - Toyo Proxes on the front and Yokohama Paradas on the rear.

It was missing 2 rear wheel nuts (and all the nuts were various shapes and rusty) so I got some aftermarket nuts and locking nuts fairly cheaply off eBay. Rear is now sorted.

Taking the nuts off the front wheel one by one to change them, I found one broken stud. So I took the wheel off intending to change the stud (which I have subsequently done).

Lo and behold a 5mm spacer on each front wheel! Why?
Because this 2007 MY 2.7 TDV6 has Brembos on the front...
No problem on the rear because the rear calipers are tiny by comparison.
Even with the spacer there cannot be more than 1mm clearance to the caliper.
And of course the wheel nuts have 5mm less thread to bear on!

So, (sorry for the length of this but I'm hoping it is helpful to others), I would like to change the wheels to something more standard but right now money prohibits this.

My thought is therefore to install longer studs on the front. I believe that you can buy 10mm longer studs which I would have thought would not cause a big problem if I eventually revert to standard wheels.
(By the way, guess what, the spare is a "standard" 19 inch! - so the aftermarket wheel nuts will not work).
Any idea where I could get these please? The current studs are 14mm x1.5mm thread and 54mm long overall.

Would appreciate any advice from the forum.

[/img] Current: MY15 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Aruba Gold, HUD, Meridian 1700w
Gone: RRS TDV6 2007 Stornaway
Gone: P38 2.5 DHSE

Post #354632 Sat Aug 25 2012 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1