RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Strange feathering on front tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Strange feathering on front tyres

Both front tyres have just started to exhibit feathering of the shoulder blocks on both the inside and outside shoulders. Feathering is the same on each shoulder. The feathering is such that it's smooth rubbing the tyre front to rear at the top but jagged rubbing it rear to front at the top (if that makes sense)

Feathering is usually a sign of a toe in/out issue and one would expect either the inner or outer shoulders to be feathered depending on whether total toe is in or out. As all four shoulders are showing signs, this suggests that the suspension is doing odd things.

The rear dynamic response ARB is to be replaced next week as it's leaking and I'm hoping that this is the cause of the strange wear pattern. However, the NSF ARB bush was replaced a few weeks ago and I wonder if the bolts might be loose causing some suspension wander at the front.

Anyone got any thoughts? Tempted to get the geometry looked at but it seems daft to spend money on that and then have the suspension played with a few days later. Will have it checked afterward unless the LR dealer confirms it's been checked and is in spec.

I'm hoping the new rear ARB will sort it as the shoulders are getting eaten quite hard at the front. The rears are showing uniform wear and look as good as new. I could do without trashing a pair of tyres at the moment... 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #350492 Thu Jul 12 2012 12:00am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

Silly question I know but have you checked tyre pressures - I guess under inflating could lead to both outer edges wearing ?????? FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #350499 Thu Jul 12 2012 9:33am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Sounds like it needs a 4 wheel alignment again.

What type of tyre is it? RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #350501 Thu Jul 12 2012 10:53am
RRSTDV8

Pressures are ok but will monitor them more often to be sure

Tyres are 255/55/19 Scorpion ATR

I'm hoping that the new rear ARB unit will be the answer but an alignment check is likely to be necessary too just to be sure. Will also get the garage to check the front ARB again when they're doing the rear one - just to be sure.

I'm wondering if the rear ARB failing is making the car understeer a bit more which is why the shoulders are getting worn. That's my current hypothesis anyway. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #350503 Thu Jul 12 2012 11:00am
awd man

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

could be putting more load on the tyre shoulders yes..

Might also be the fact they are an ATR and thus not 100% tarmac resistant with the warmer (laughs) summer months? RRS gone
Audi SQ5...Gone Audi Q7 S-Line 240 3.0TDI Gone
Audi A6 Allroad Sport 270 3.0TDI

Post #350504 Thu Jul 12 2012 11:05am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Swap front to rear will help with wear but it does sound like you need 4 wheel alignment. Please call us 01737 241370 for the quickest response Smile

www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #350508 Thu Jul 12 2012 11:42am
RRSTDV8

It's going in for the ARB work on Thursday next week so hopefully I can keep the mileage down until then. Once that is done I can get the alignment checked.

I put 2psi in the front tyres this lunchtime in the hope that this will help support the shoulders. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #350512 Thu Jul 12 2012 2:00pm
RRSTDV8

Spoke to a LR indie (James French near Oxford) who do 4-wheel alignment. They advised that I may as well wait until the ARB is done because, usually, bits of suspension need to be removed to change it. Thus it will need to be aligned after the work anyway.

Was impressed that he didn't just take my £60. I guess some places might have even knowng that I would be undoing it all in a few days anyway. So a Thumbs Up for James French there.

Will check that the LR garage does a full alignment check/adjustment as part of their work. Also, I think I'll get them to confirm that new bushes are installed with the new ARB (I wouldn't put it past a garage to reuse the old ones...). Might get them to check the bolts for tightness on the front ARB bush they that they replaced a month ago. Might see if I can get them to cha nge the other front one too. That way it'll be new ARB bushes alround.

I think I'm going to park the RRS until Thursday and then just take it in and leave it with them. Better than trashing the front tyres, even if it means sharing the other car with SWMBO for a few days.

It's a good job I like driving the RRS - I've had cars that were better built in the past. And one of those was a Suzuki! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #350588 Fri Jul 13 2012 3:24pm
SONYBOY

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
front wear

Hmmmm,think mine are doing the same,my fronts are starting to wear on the inside only on both fronts, whats the correct pressure for 275/40 R20 106Y continentals, and pressure for the Rears please Confused 2007 COOLRRS

Post #353424 Sat Aug 11 2012 12:29am
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Re: front wear

SONYBOY wrote:
Hmmmm,think mine are doing the same,my fronts are starting to wear on the inside only on both fronts, whats the correct pressure for 275/40 R20 106Y continentals, and pressure for the Rears please Confused
36 all round for me.

Post #353449 Sat Aug 11 2012 8:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1