RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > What 255/55/19 tyres for Morocco?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mike_C

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange
What 255/55/19 tyres for Morocco?

Hi all, I need some decent 3-ply sidewall A/T tyres for a trip to Morocco this summer - any recommendations?

Thanks! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)
- BMW 330Ci M-Sport coupe
- Suzuki GSX-R750 K6 'Stealth' - trackdays and high speed tourer

Post #345131 Tue May 29 2012 3:12pm
Pelyma

England 

ATR Thumbs Up Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #345150 Tue May 29 2012 5:51pm
Mike_C

Is that the Pirelli Scorpion ATR? - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #345173 Tue May 29 2012 8:59pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The Scorpion ATR is 2 polyester plies in the sidewall, 6 in the tread (2 each of steel, nylon and polyester) 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #345199 Tue May 29 2012 11:14pm
Pelyma

England 

Yes they are Pirelli, they are what most of the D3 guys use out there. Some have used AT2 but have had side wall problems. They are a great tyre and usable every day too. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #345202 Wed May 30 2012 7:58am
RRSTDV8

I have Scorpion ATRs fitted on my RRS and so far they have been very good on road. I'm taking them lightly off road in a couple of weeks at Eastnor so will see how they do then. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #345396 Thu May 31 2012 12:19am
MikeS

Australia 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Depends on your budget

As I've said many times on here and D3, I run the ATR's and have done for the last 2 1/2 years, as when I needed A/T's, the General Grabber wasn't available in the 19", so I went for the ATR's and have been very happy with them since. They did 50k miles and still had 5mm on them so they became my spares when I moved out here. I replaced them with another set of ATR's.

I toyed with the idea of the Generals before going for another set of ATR's, lots of love for them since they came out and they're cheaper than the Pirelli with a more aggressive looking tread. My only concern was tyre life, they seem to last ~30k miles from the reports on here and D3 so in reality, the extra cost of the ATR's was more than outweighed by the life of the tyre. I also managed to pick up a complete new set for £550, so that sealed the deal for me. Had they not come up at that price I'd have likely given the GG's a try.

Both will work well offroad, I've only been stuck once on the ATRs and that was intentional. They're a great tyre, but from what I read, so is the General. It just comes down to cost. Ex-G4 Challenge RRS HSE, BV55 YZE. Subtle shade of orange ! Now registered YZE481 G4RRS in Melbourne.

Post #345442 Thu May 31 2012 1:28pm
Mike_C

MikeS wrote:
Depends on your budget

As I've said many times on here and D3, I run the ATR's and have done for the last 2 1/2 years, as when I needed A/T's, the General Grabber wasn't available in the 19", so I went for the ATR's and have been very happy with them since. They did 50k miles and still had 5mm on them so they became my spares when I moved out here. I replaced them with another set of ATR's.

I toyed with the idea of the Generals before going for another set of ATR's, lots of love for them since they came out and they're cheaper than the Pirelli with a more aggressive looking tread. My only concern was tyre life, they seem to last ~30k miles from the reports on here and D3 so in reality, the extra cost of the ATR's was more than outweighed by the life of the tyre. I also managed to pick up a complete new set for £550, so that sealed the deal for me. Had they not come up at that price I'd have likely given the GG's a try.

Both will work well offroad, I've only been stuck once on the ATRs and that was intentional. They're a great tyre, but from what I read, so is the General. It just comes down to cost.

Thanks Mike! Where did you get them from for £550? Cheapest I've found Grabbers is around £720 fitted! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #346581 Mon Jun 11 2012 12:55pm
Mike_C

I have an ex-G4 challenge vehicle with 2 sets of wheels and currently both sets are fitted with 255/50/19 tyres. However, looking at the G4 spec sheets (http://www.g4ownersclub.com/Resources/2006/SpecSheets/SPECSHEET2006-RANGEROVERSPORT.PDF) they were fitted with 255/55/19 tyres.

So, which should my car be fitted with and will fitting the 55-profile tyres affect my speedo and fuel economy (favourably?) at all? I would prefer the higher sidewall for a number of reasons: softer ride, slightly higher ground clearance and more protection for the alloy when offroad.

Cheers! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #346695 Tue Jun 12 2012 12:43pm
RRSTDV8

I've found the fuel economy isn't quite so good with the 255/55. That might be because the larger diameter throws the distance travelled out and thus the calculated mileage. Not sure. It might just be because the deeper sidewall gives slightly more sidewall flex which obviously absorbs energy and thus uses more fuel. It might be a combination of the two. It's only 1-2mpg on a run and almost no different when just tooling around locally so it's not too much to worry about.

The deeper sidewall does give a slightly more rounded ride as well as giving more protection to the wheel. Noise is not a problem with the Pirelli Scorpion ATR.

And to cap it all, the deeper sidewall makes the whole wheel/tyre look bigger and more appropriate for a proper 4x4, unlike the bling "22 inch wheels and rubber band tyres" do. Wink Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #346699 Tue Jun 12 2012 1:51pm
Mike_C

Thanks RRSTDV8! I expected the 55 profile to raise the fuel economy if anything, as each revolution of the wheel would get you a bit further down the road! So was hoping for a very slight improvmenet on a run, if any change at all.

Still, they'll give more protection to the alloy, a better ride and look better too so I'll go for them I think.

Cheers! - Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE G4 Challenge vehicle (FOR SALE)

Post #346709 Tue Jun 12 2012 3:04pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Worth a look at the Toyo Open Country. Please call us 01737 241370 for the quickest response Smile

www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #347777 Wed Jun 20 2012 11:54am
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Think you will find the weight loading on the 55 profile is better than 50's, so if going loaded up and long way will give you a bigger margin of saftey.

Quite a few Disco owners that have run 50 profiles have had blow outs when used in the rough and fully loaded.

Have had Generals both old and new version, lost 4 tyres on front to splits in sidewall one on back, in 50 profiles, changed to ATR's no problem,

I have now fitted the new General tyre, 10,000 miles no problems but if have the opportunity to feel the sidewalls of both Pirrelli ATR and new General before they are fitted there is a noticeable difference in the sidewalls and the pirrelli is much stiffer. I have nooticed as have others that certain conditions these tyes are producing a kind of humming rubbing noise, usually between 50-60.

No experience of sand conditions but General are better in the mud than pirrelli, though not by much.

Changing profiles will effect speedo readout by 3-4 mph but this can be adjusted for in the ccf settings if you have access to diagnostic equip Now driving a rather smart looking Van

Post #348085 Fri Jun 22 2012 8:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1