RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > retro fitting my sat nav with tv
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

dynoick

2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
retro fitting my sat nav with tv

hi there i am sure i'm not the first or the last but how can i make my 2009 rrs have tv in the front also what do i need to buy to get some entertainment in the rear head rest for the kids, is this possible to retro fit any help would be great

Post #332502 Tue Feb 14 2012 10:15pm
Netsters

England 
Retro fit tv

Hi, I had the same question when I first bought my RRS.

In the end I went for a GVIF unit from hids4u

The car had almost every extra, apart from TV, including the Rear Seat Entertainment system.

I did look at getting the factory tv unit installed as I like to keep this as standard as poss, however, after some research this would have meant at TV unit RRP £1200, plus coding for the head unit to know that a TV unit was installed, plus even though the RRS apparently has tv aerials built into the rear quarter panel glass, amplifiers for the signal would need to be installed. Not sure if that is included in the £1200, but it was fast become impractical, just to get a digital tv signal to the car.

I did however go for another solution, which at first I was not sure that I wanted to try, but I am very glad I did.

A GVIF box connect between the sat nav dvd player (under the passenger seat) and the front screen, gives you 4 av inputs, and reversing camera connection.

Very simple install I found.

To solve the TV problem,

I connect an ipod av cable to one of the AV's, and use the tvcatchup free digital tv service for tv channels
Plus it allows me to display anything that is on the phone on the screen, like Youtube, etc.
I have a sling player app (which streams sky tv from my home) to my phone, so I get sky tv on the screen as well.

Totally outlay, approx £220 - including a reversing camera.

May sound a bit complex, but it is quite straight forward, and if you are willing to pay someone to do the wiring for you, you'll be quids in for much more functionalilty Range Rover Sport SVR - Santorini Black
Range Rover Sport Autobiography 2016 Yulong White / black interior - Stealth pack
Ferrari 360 F1 Spider red/cream
Ferrari 348 ts red/cream
BMW M4 Convertible Competion Pack

Post #332602 Wed Feb 15 2012 5:21pm
dynoick

thats great thanks what did you use for the rear screens?

Post #332675 Thu Feb 16 2012 2:35pm
sherlock

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

V useful thanks TDV8 HSE, Remap (+45 BHP + 100 Nm), Taylored sport exhaust system by Pipe Werx
20" HST alloys, Privacy glass, Side steps, Xenon Adaptive Lighting, Adaptive cruise control

Post #332677 Thu Feb 16 2012 2:47pm
Netsters

England 

My RRS already had the rear screens installed as a factory option, which made the fact that there was no TV even more confusing.

That said, I did see some companies offering a rear headrest replacement service, whereby your headrests replace with some aftermarket 7 inch screens. From what I can remember, they didn't look too bad. I can't recall the name of the company, but I think a quick google should turn up some useful results.

I did find this document

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0Guide.pdf

Which details how to retro fit the rear screens with original landrover parts.

* This does look like a much more involved procedure *

If it were me I would decide important the "fitted" look is to you. Original does look the best, but again, if the cost of install starts getting up to the upper hundreds, I think I would plump for two 2nd hand iPad 1's, with a stylish headrest sling for each.

That way you get a larger 10 inch screen, with way more functionality than a normal screen, plus the added bonus of have two truely independent video sources for the kids.

If you setup your phone up as a wifi device, or with the money you save get a little mywi device that you leave in the car (basically a dongle with a sim card on a data plan) you could have the two ipads hooked up to the internet on the move, with the digital tv, youtube and all the joys of the WWW.

That should keep the kids happy! Range Rover Sport SVR - Santorini Black
Range Rover Sport Autobiography 2016 Yulong White / black interior - Stealth pack
Ferrari 360 F1 Spider red/cream
Ferrari 348 ts red/cream
BMW M4 Convertible Competion Pack

Post #332732 Thu Feb 16 2012 9:06pm
dynoick

thanks for all your help

Post #332934 Sat Feb 18 2012 12:48pm
AndyKay

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Netsters, which reverse camera did you get? RRS HSE TDV6 Autobiography

Post #334420 Wed Feb 29 2012 10:50am
frankym3

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Netsters wrote:
My RRS already had the rear screens installed as a factory option, which made the fact that there was no TV even more confusing.

That said, I did see some companies offering a rear headrest replacement service, whereby your headrests replace with some aftermarket 7 inch screens. From what I can remember, they didn't look too bad. I can't recall the name of the company, but I think a quick google should turn up some useful results.

I did find this document

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/use...0Guide.pdf

Which details how to retro fit the rear screens with original landrover parts.

* This does look like a much more involved procedure *

If it were me I would decide important the "fitted" look is to you. Original does look the best, but again, if the cost of install starts getting up to the upper hundreds, I think I would plump for two 2nd hand iPad 1's, with a stylish headrest sling for each.

That way you get a larger 10 inch screen, with way more functionality than a normal screen, plus the added bonus of have two truely independent video sources for the kids.

If you setup your phone up as a wifi device, or with the money you save get a little mywi device that you leave in the car (basically a dongle with a sim card on a data plan) you could have the two ipads hooked up to the internet on the move, with the digital tv, youtube and all the joys of the WWW.

That should keep the kids happy!

Hi Netsters, im brand new on this forum so apologies if im going over what was explained before! My 06 rr sport also has rear entertainment option and 6 disc DVD player in the boot, as well as sat nav DVD under front seat.

Where did you buy this equipment to give tv tuning capability and when you say you hooked your i pod to it, do you mean your i phone? Does this mean the car would download tv signal through the wifi on your phone? If so does it not cut in and out on you?

Sounds a lot cheaper to do!

Post #338496 Mon Apr 02 2012 3:43pm
Sirwacko

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I just picked up my 57 rrs tdv8 it's got the screen but on the options screen there's only 3 options and no tv!!! Sad will I need to buy a digital tuner?

Post #338961 Fri Apr 06 2012 2:35pm
AndyKay

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Sirwacko wrote:
I just picked up my 57 rrs tdv8 it's got the screen but on the options screen there's only 3 options and no tv!!! Sad will I need to buy a digital tuner?

you'll need the GVIF unit - ~£220, then a TV tuner RRS HSE TDV6 Autobiography

Post #338974 Fri Apr 06 2012 7:54pm
Sirwacko

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

AndyKay wrote:
Sirwacko wrote:

you'll need the GVIF unit - ~£220, then a TV tuner

Cheers mate I'll have a look into it gonna be exspensive I imagine. Who spends all that on a car and skimps on the tv?!

Post #339214 Sun Apr 08 2012 8:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1