RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Tyre Pressures - Sand / Dune Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Tyre Pressures - Sand / Dune Driving

As trained by the local Range Rover Owners club, i have been taught to reduce the tyre pressures for driving on
sand, usually between 14 and 20 PSI dependent on your tyres.. i used to reduce to 18 PSI.

Watching a programme on Discovery the weekend that always has a 4x4 Off roading advice and general tips section, they stated "in line with recent recommendations not to reduce tyre pressures when driving on Sand" i was wondering whether anyone else has heard of this ??

Thanks Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #313254 Mon Sep 12 2011 4:32am
Discovery1953

England 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HST Santorini Black
Re: Tyre Pressures - Sand / Dune Driving

Zilch wrote:
As trained by the local Range Rover Owners club, i have been taught to reduce the tyre pressures for driving on
sand, usually between 14 and 20 PSI dependent on your tyres.. i used to reduce to 18 PSI.

Watching a programme on Discovery the weekend that always has a 4x4 Off roading advice and general tips section, they stated "in line with recent recommendations not to reduce tyre pressures when driving on Sand" i was wondering whether anyone else has heard of this ??

Thanks

We don't have that problem here Crying or Very sad 2008 Black Range Rover Sports HST, 4.2 Supercharged.

RAM Cobra, Aluminium body, 7 litres and +500 BHP - SOLD

Post #313258 Mon Sep 12 2011 6:12am
andy r

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Zambezi Silver

I've heard of it, possibly down to tyre damage, tyre slipping on the rim and the risk of breaking the bead & throwing the tyre ?????? The sandiest places my D3 & RRS have been is beaches etc and have been Ok, but I have a friend with a D3 who has been to Morocco several times and each time has had issues in the dunes or the long beach areas because it turns itself into an anchor due to the TR and TC conflicting with each other ???? 08 2.7 RRS "S"
Td5 110......very modified
RS 5
Kawasaki ZX12R Censored me, it's quick !

Post #313259 Mon Sep 12 2011 6:43am
Zilch

Re: Tyre Pressures - Sand / Dune Driving

Discovery1953 wrote:
We don't have that problem here Crying or Very sad

you mean these problems Whistle http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic18569.html Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #313273 Mon Sep 12 2011 9:42am
raadar

Australia 

zilch,

my experience when crossing the talcum soft sand of the simpson desert dunes in the tdv8 RRS was that 18psi still did not do the trick. Finally resorted to sub 10psi in the 19"MTR's to get over big red towing the tvan. Care is necessary to avoid sharp changes in direction at that low pressure to avoid throwing a tyre off the rim, and it is not suggested unless you are in really soft low grip sand for the same reason. Pressures suggested in the 4wd mags, eg 18psi for sand, are relative to the larger volume tyres on the mainstream 4wd's and should be interpreted diferrently for the low volume 255/55/19 tyres we typically use. To overcome the continuous shortfalls of the 19"tyres I now run 285/60/18 's, with 30mm higher sidewalls and 50mm bigger diameter allowing much bigger scope in tyre "bagging" and footprint, and better resistance to sidewall pinching.

AndyR,

i am interested in your theory of the TC and TR conflict adding to forward progress resistance. Can you expand on this?

cheers..................frank my10D4se3Ltdv6 current
my08RRStdv8 sold
my07RRStdv8 sold

Post #313378 Mon Sep 12 2011 11:23pm
disco4x4au

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Santorini Black

On the CSR last month we ran 4 cars at 26psi - no issues, although all were on 17" or 18" tyres. In the soft beach sand dunes we get over here in W.A. I run 16 to 18psi, again with no issue. The car will simply not get through at road pressures. Additionally, the level of damage running at high pressure does to the tracks is not exactly eco-friendly and is one reason that station owners close down a lot of access to the public. I think it's a little irresponsible telling people NOT to reduce pressures. Tell them of the problems and how to change their driving style instead.

As raadar noted, one has to be aware of the conditions - no sharp changes in direction at speed etc.

TR Sand mode with DSC and HDC off should remove most of the "conflict" between TC and sandy conditions.

Cheers,

Gordon 2015 RRS SDV6 SE, Santorini Black, GOE 2-way HS rods, Traxide dual battery, 275/55R20 Nitto TerraGraplers

2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE - GOE 3-way HS rods, GOE underbody plates and sliders, 275/65R18 Courgia MT

Post #313386 Tue Sep 13 2011 1:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

At Stockton Beach (dunes) i have always ran at 18 PSI, i was just wondering where this "latest recommendations" was coming from. However i am a bit hesitant to run the 50 profiles at 18, i think i may have towait until i can change the tyres when they have worn for something more suitable.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #313395 Tue Sep 13 2011 6:32am
ciaa

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

When ive ever ventured into the desert ive usually ran about 9psi on the 20" tyres with no problems at all, though the sand is very soft ... i dont think id want to run such low pressure if driving on trails etc. 2006 RRS Supercharged
Hawke Saker 22" rims Nitto Tires
Larini exhaust System
ECU remap
Modified and ported supercharger with 3lb pulley

Post #313426 Tue Sep 13 2011 9:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1