RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > TRACKER
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Ok, so who thinks that getting a tracker unit (whatever make) fitted at your home is not a good idea?

Even if you had it done elsewhere, they can get your home address from your order, as it's part of your basic security information. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2944 Wed Oct 05 2005 4:18pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

RRUK wrote:
Ok, so who thinks that getting a tracker unit (whatever make) fitted at your home is not a good idea? Even if you had it done elsewhere, they can get your home address from your order, as it's part of your basic security information.

I'm a TrafficMaster dealer for SmartNav & TrackStar and am an approved RAC TrackStar installer. An installer would know how to disarm a Tracking device, but if it is installed properly, it still would take them some time. The main security of a tracking device is that the location of the box is unknown and therefore a theif shouldn't be able to find them easily. However saying that, most vehicles have their ideal locations for such devices and you find that most installers would put them in the same places.
I would worry about the larger installing firms who have a higher turnover of installing staff and send these (often untrained) guys out to fit alarms, car phone kits and trackers. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #2946 Wed Oct 05 2005 4:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Would'nt it be great if these things could be fitted by the factory integeral to the total alarm system. Surely it can't be that difficult? Each manufactuerer would simply source the devices from ....... ???? just like they source all components, then it is up to the customer to activate the system/device by subscribing.This would enable the device to be buried deep in the "out of reach" and hidden areas of the car . Idea 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2958 Wed Oct 05 2005 10:04pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Very true Martin. Manufacturers give us lists of options to buy with our new vehicle, but looking through the RRS list tonight, there isn't any security options at all. You're right, they should offer a tracker or alarm upgrades. They could double the price and most of us would still take it. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #2963 Wed Oct 05 2005 11:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Even with manufacturer's who offer security devices like Trackers as an option they are still dealer-fit options, which they sub out to the local installation firm. You'd think manufacturers would be able to license these products from the OEM and fit them at build time.

In the town where I last lived, there was a spate of car stereo thefts from cars that had recently all had their ICE installations done by the same firm. Funny that...

Cheers
Steve 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #2966 Wed Oct 05 2005 11:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12