RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Tips & Tricks > Nail in my tyre! Do both sides need replacing?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

quantz

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

ronniet101 wrote:
if its a requirement it will be stated in the policy document..if the guys a broker does he know every line in the policy or is he just guessing...as regards annual test...do they check the original standard of the car...whats the baseline for the test..do you therefore need to keep all the equipment original so you cannot fit any other make of alloys etc..

If youve fitted 22" then as in this country some modifications have to be disclosed to the insurance company..this could be one of them. if you dont disclose and then have an accident then you give them grounds to reject the claim

If you mount 22" on the vehicle, LR will have you signed a discharge, by which LR could reject a warranty claim on suspension, axle and so on. Tyres are considered part of the suspension set. 22" are not part of the factory rilms sets. And 22" means less gum, hence less suspension, hence more stress on mobile parts. This from my LR dealer, in writing. 2010 TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black Tan Full Leather

Post #290744 Tue Mar 01 2011 3:30pm
ronniet101

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

that doesnt cover the insurance company re changing only one tyre...what youve described is a warranty issue regarding aftermarket larger wheels

or is it when you refer to insurance you mean the warranty on the vehicle

Post #290747 Tue Mar 01 2011 3:48pm
quantz

Both. 2010 TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black Tan Full Leather

Post #290748 Tue Mar 01 2011 3:50pm
ronniet101

both? im confused now...so what does the insurance say re changing tyres

Post #290749 Tue Mar 01 2011 3:51pm
quantz

Fitting non-homologated tyres/rims is subject to liabiilty. 2010 TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black Tan Full Leather

Post #290750 Tue Mar 01 2011 3:53pm
ronniet101

that covers fitment of oversize wheels but doesnt cover fitting two tyres when only one is damaged though

Post #290751 Tue Mar 01 2011 3:57pm
quantz

Again, in my country, it does. 2010 TDV6 3.0 HSE Santorini Black Tan Full Leather

Post #290752 Tue Mar 01 2011 4:01pm
ronniet101

so what does the policy wording say

Post #290753 Tue Mar 01 2011 4:02pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The reason for replacing both sides is also to do with transmission wear - on some makes of 4wd cars (Volvo's and VW/Audi's come to mind) you have to replace all 4 tyres if wear is more than XXmm difference between old and new tyres otherwise you will cause terminal damage to the diffs due to transmission wind-up 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #290768 Tue Mar 01 2011 5:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

That's what Kwikfit fit said when I had mine swapped, not sure if it is a issue in a LR but as said before my tires were quite low so changed both

Post #290773 Tue Mar 01 2011 6:36pm
ronniet101

there are four wheel drive systems and there are glorified 2 wheel drive with add-ons. Most of the add-on systems do not use differentials as per our RR but some form of viscous couplings and large differences in tyre diameter can affect these systems

for our cars personally think its unlikely that in our permanent system with proper differentials that a small difference in diameter is actually critical, remember we are talking about a few millimetres at the most.

The following has been copied....

Most newer AWD are actually only sophisticated 2WD cars - they have "automatic AWD". They are the ones that power only one axle (thats why those tires wear out faster) and only engage the other axle when slippage on the main axle occurs. It is the cheaper solution for people who want the added stability of AWD to feel safer. Volvo is a good example.
Drawback of that cheaper solution is (engineers often call it "hang on" solution because it has been hung onto an existing 2WD platform) that the consumer is faced with the high cost of tire replacement (all 4 need to be replaced, even if only 1 or 2 are bad). This is mainly true for older automatic AWD systems that use a viscous coupling to activate the other axle.
However, some of the automatic AWD systems are more robust than others (mainly the recent models) and a tire size difference does not immediately lead to an expensive repair. The Honda CRV and the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) are among them. The more robust systems employ Haldex couplings, Gerodisc couplings or hydraulic pump systems (Honda) to activate the mostly dormant axle when needed.

There are some AWD vehicles where it does not matter what you do. Replace one tire, replace 2 - it does not matter. Those AWD vehicles are true AWD, in the sense that they are full time 4WD or permanent 4WD powering all 4 wheels with about equal force. Most Subaru (except Impreza), BMW X5, Audi, some Toyota, Mercedes, etc. are in that group of true AWD. These AWD vehicles have a differential between the two permanently powered drive shafts. They are the ones that will survive a replacement tire that is slightly larger or slightly smaller

Post #290779 Tue Mar 01 2011 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12